[TW] Sexual Abuse & Misconduct in Figure Skating

How many more victims and how many more abusers?it’s really scary but at least more people are coming forward probably thanks to Ashley and hopefully future young skaters will be safer although so far not one federation or ISU made an official statement right?

Sorry, this isn’t 100% directly related to the investigation but need advice:

Spoiler

There’s a Russian coach on Instagram who is saying quite disturbing things such as Ashley is lying and that drinking and sexual activities between minors and older skaters is normal in a figure skating. He teaches children. I’ve emailed the ISU. Is there any other authority he can be reported to?

47 minutes ago, SparkleSalad said:

Hide contents

There’s a Russian coach on Instagram who is saying quite disturbing things such as Ashley is lying and that drinking and sexual activities between minors and older skaters is normal in a figure skating. He teaches children. I’ve emailed the ISU. Is there any other authority he can be reported to?

Spoiler

how awful....I don't know how it works honestly apart the obvious police and maybe instagram too?

6 時間前, SparkleSaladさんが言いました:

Hide contents

Spoiler

I think I am also going to email to ISU. What he said and wrote are just unacceptable, and seeing his photos with little children  really scares me. And if the environment behind the sport is really like what he insisted, it needs to be changed as soon as possible, because it is just wrong.

ABC is now reporting on incidents related to Richard Callaghan's abuse of skaters:

1) US Figure Skating allowed allegedly abusive coach Richard Callaghan to stay on the ice. He abused again: Lawsuit

2) Skater ready to air sexual abuse allegations says US Figure Skating made him an offer

From the second, the offer happened at PC and was made by two high-ranking US officials :

“I think they wanted to discuss with me what my intentions were, what did I plan to do,” Maurizi said. “And I reiterated exactly what I told him on the phone. I said, ‘I’m going to move forward. I've already, at this point, filed a report with the U.S. Center for SafeSport. But I'm going to talk to the media.’”

Maurizi says he was surprised by what happened next. First, St. Peter told him about the various improvements made to the federation’s sexual misconduct policies since Maurizi first came forward and credited him with sparking the initial conversations that led to those changes. Then, Raith implored him not to speak to the media, Maurizi said, at least until after SafeSport completed its investigation, because doing so could “taint” the process. Finally, Maurizi said, he was offered a position.

“He invited me to be on an executive committee for U.S. Figure Skating,” Maurizi told ABC News. “I would be heading up a committee, or maybe almost a new branch of U.S. Figure Skating, that would deal with sexual abuse and things of this nature, because I had such a unique perspective on the situation. To me, it was significant.”

There was no discussion, Maurizi said, of whether this would have been a paid or a volunteer position. But it was clearly a “position of prominence” within the organization, he said, and the implication was clear, at least to him.

I am sad that none of this surprises me anymore.

I"ve read skating books that state/allude to things, you hear rumours, you see things on tv that look wrong... but you think you must be wrong, this can't actually happen to this athlete or that athlete, and by THAT person... and then you come back to reality and of course many of those things are actually true... pretty sad.

I"m glad people are out there at least talking about it and naming names rather than just keeping things totally secret. I think there are many more culprits out there and hopefully more of these people will be exposed.

• 2 weeks later...

Allegations sent to SafeSport about RC.  Please be aware they contain mentions of: sexual, physical, verbal, and emotional abuse, fat shaming, self-harm and suicide.  Callaghan is allegedly behind two skaters' suicides.  Yet the US fed did not ban him back in the 1990s when they were first told about this vile POS: https://twitter.com/JudgeThree/status/1164325948826816517?s=20