[TW] Sexual Abuse & Misconduct in Figure Skating

https://www.cnews.fr/france/2020-01-31/lex-entraineur-de-la-patineuse-sarah-abitbol-concede-des-relations-intimes

Via google translate:

”Ex-trainer accused of rape and sexual assault by Sarah Abitbol, Gilles Beyer, conceded on Friday having had “intimate” and “inappropriate” relations with her, saying “sincerely sorry” and offering her “apologies”, while evoking different memories, in a written declaration sent to AFP.”

No, you absolute shit stain, there wasn’t anything intimate or inappropriate about it. It was rape. 
You raped a fucking child. 

A predator’s and their enablers’ and defenders’ most potent weapon is the language they use to soften their heinousness to make it seem like it’s no big deal. I’m shocked he didn’t throw in an “underaged woman” in there somewhere. That’s always a favorite for men like this. 

Idk if these had been shared, there were so many updates it's hard to follow all of them

This was from two days ago but I had missed it

"There is no sexual abuse issue in fs"  reminded me of a very similar thing some representative of USfed had said a few days ago, reported by Brennan :/

till they won't admit the issue isn't about just one bad apple or two, but it's something rooted in certain culture within the sport, I doubt things can change.

I hope this time there will be real and long-lasting consequence, starting from the definitive removal of Didier G (who should have been kicked out after 2002 already and instead here we are, twenty years after the biggest scandal in fs history, still with the very same people around :banginghead: Then I also thought that JSF also has a history of exemplary representatives and I...😶)

btw I was also reminded that we risked having Didier as president of ISU 😨when one must be grateful that speed skating prevailed over figure skating, because imagine having DidierG as ISU president (not that ISU is faring very well but...when you think things couldn't get worse... how is it possible fs didn't have any one better than DidierG?)

9 minutes ago, LadyLou said:

There is no sexual abuse issue in fs

Right. Just like how the world at large doesn’t have a rape culture issue! Or like how there isn’t a constant and consistent devaluing of girls and women in society. 

Also, I’ve always hated when these jack holes use the one bad apple phrase. Do they not know the full idiom? Because here’s a hint: It spoils the bunch. 

google translate:

gui: I want to express my support for @Abitbol_sarah as well as my deep admiration for his courage.
The values we want to represent as athletes are pure. Athletes, coaches, supporters, we all want this great sport to remain healthy and safe.

Sarah Abitbol: Thank you @GuillaumeCIZ for your support which touches me deep in my heart.

Here's a little summary of all that's been coming out and hasn't been mentioned yet (sorry if I'm mistaken):

Gailhaguet still plays offended and wanted to go to the Minister with his attorney but he was not allowed. A renowned French coach (Didier Lucine) accuses DG of taking revenge on him after he tried to report Beyer's act 20 years ago. Since then, his club notoriously crashed, the federation cut money, and he openly says that they intentionally buried his skaters.

Parisian Prosecutor's Office is studying the possibility of opening a new case.  In fact, the period during which you can report children rapes is 30 years, but starting at the majority, which means Sarah Abitbol being 44 years old don't fall under the prescription law. This changes LOT of things, and does not smell good for FFSG. 

Gwendal Peizerat took a strong position. He tried to face Gailhaguet at the last elections for the head of the FFSG but was unsuccessful. In a few words, he clearly explains that every person involved is close to him, and that he's clearly protecting all his little friends. He also explains the manipulative character DG is, saying that every time he's aware of something, he just keeps it to serve his own interests, and dismiss somebody who could become problematic for him for example. He also speaks about all the non-physical violence, ie. the psychological pressure put on the children, and this in lot of others sports that don't have media exposure such as curling (part of the FFSG).

Also Beyer was dismissed from all his functions by the club. Abitbol answered to his """"apologies"""" saying she would never accept them, but that it's a first step.

The old Sports minister who was in charge when the inquiry against Beyer happened asks to fire Gailhaguet and take the most serious punishment against FFSG.

As the latest update, on DG meeting the sports' minister: 

- She summoned him to resign within 2 weeks.

- They apparently started the process to suspend the delegation which I believe means that FFSG won't be in charge of the "Team France" anymore ?

- A criminal inquiry has been opened. 

16 minutes ago, Pika said:

As the latest update, on DG meeting the sports' minister: 

- She summoned him to resign within 2 weeks.

- They apparently started the process to suspend the delegation which I believe means that FFSG won't be in charge of the "Team France" anymore ?

- A criminal inquiry has been opened. 

Wow, these are big news. Finally. I was afraid nothing big would happen to Didier and everything would go on as before. I am glad it is not the case. 

On Twitter:

ETA: omg this is my 10 000th post on the Planet. :tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw:

There has been a bit of a sea change in French attitudes towards these issues - in December there was an article in the Times about the writer Gabriel Matzneff who was openly and unapologetically preying on teenagers of both sexes since the 60s and writing about it - as recently as 1990 he was feted on French tv while some who had questioned his behaviour were ridiculed.  Now one of his victims has written a book and French literary circles are having to come to terms with what they were complicit in for decades.  This is perhaps another facet of that attitude in sports which is finally being addressed.