[TW] Sexual Abuse & Misconduct in Figure Skating

And apparently the French Minister of Sport is dismayed with Didier.  He seems to have made a career out of enabling predators. I'm glad he's being called on the carpet, though I worry that there will be follow through, given how few predators, let alone enablers face justice:

Can’t get the link to copy, but the Times today covers the story of Liam Scarlett the Royal Ballet choreographer who is under investigation for sexual misconduct with students.  As soon as a student made a complaint in August he was suspended and barred from company premises, which has caused problems for the company regarding work in progress, but this is the only way to react - get the accused away from the complainant and any other possible/potential victims and deny them access while the accusations are investigated.  ISU and the various national feds need an emergency course on safeguarding.

1 hour ago, Songster01 said:

And apparently the French Minister of Sport is dismayed with Didier.  He seems to have made a career out of enabling predators. I'm glad he's being called on the carpet, though I worry that there will be follow through, given how few predators, let alone enablers face justice:

That's  what I thought in the first place, that DG was in serious trouble. But after hearing what the Minister said this morning on the radio, I'm not holding my hopes too high. She sounds way too "soft" to take exemplary punishment.

Also it wasn't mentioned but Sarah Abitbol is publishing a book about the abuses she suffered. Her testimony is making some real noise and she's headlining some big papers today. I heard her interview this morning and I almost cried. It puts in perspective everything in her career, starting with the injury just before the Olympics SP. She said herself that "her body responded". She also mentions how she was reduced to silence when she called the Sports minister when she was able to talk about it after her career but was told they wouldn't do anything "but they could help her regarding her shows and her promotion"...

6 hours ago, Songster01 said:

And apparently the French Minister of Sport is dismayed with Didier.  He seems to have made a career out of enabling predators. I'm glad he's being called on the carpet

They're lucky this exploded after Euros and not before... Annick D., one of the three commentators officiating on public TV, is Gailhaguet's ex-wife... Pretty awkward!

Spoiler

As for her colleague C*ndel*r*, he of the constant lewd comments including about minors, I wonder if we'll ever hear anything about him...

4 hours ago, Pika said:

That's  what I thought in the first place, that DG was in serious trouble. But after hearing what the Minister said this morning on the radio, I'm not holding my hopes too high. She sounds way too "soft" to take exemplary punishment.

Also it wasn't mentioned but Sarah Abitbol is publishing a book about the abuses she suffered. Her testimony is making some real noise and she's headlining some big papers today. I heard her interview this morning and I almost cried. It puts in perspective everything in her career, starting with the injury just before the Olympics SP. She said herself that "her body responded". She also mentions how she was reduced to silence when she called the Sports minister when she was able to talk about it after her career but was told they wouldn't do anything "but they could help her regarding her shows and her promotion"...

Do you have links for those two interviews, or remember on which station they were? Following the various cases is not so easy, what with so many of the articles being paywalled...

Thank you! Thought this was very interesting:

Depuis plusieurs semaines, le standard du ministère des Sports reçoit chaque jour des appels de responsables d'associations qui prennent connaissance d'abus sexuels sur des enfants dans leur club, leur ligue ou leur fédération.

Seems the C*pr*s stuff had already opened the floodgates... Good!

3 hours ago, GraceAndPower said:

Thank you! Thought this was very interesting:

Seems the C*pr*s stuff had already opened the floodgates... Good!

Actually, it sounds like it's not only figure skating and that the ministry is swamped with complaints. 

8 hours ago, rubyblue said:

I'm so sick of this. Every single time something appears, there's no other reaction than denial. Do they think that we're going to believe that all those stories are fabricated?

Consider how assiduously they have insisted on pretending nothing's wrong over the years --> those involved are going to ride this thing all the way down til it crashes. Denials are exactly the reaction I'd expect from them. If the Ministry for Sport is serious about fixing the issue, they're going to have to get around the denials and act anyway. 

And an excellent place to start would be for the ministry to withhold funding until the fed cleans house and puts policies in place to protect athletes going forward.