[TW] Sexual Abuse & Misconduct in Figure Skating

At this point, I'm wishing that it was a proper criminal investigation and not just by a sports-related body. It does seem like a criminal matter now that these emails have come to light. A proper police investigation would be able to determine that for certain and if charges need to be laid. 

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, SparkleSalad said:

Surya Bonaly is defending Cipres's coaching team on social media, as if they didn't try to cow the girl and her parents into silence .  Disappointing, but more and more less surprising, given that Vanessa is supporting Morgan privately.

Source of SB's comment is a screen shot sent to Judge Three, who has a private account, which is why I cannot link.  J3 is a survivor and an advocate for other survivors, so i trust her.  She has serious problems with how both SafeSport and USFS process and handle cases though is also very clear about how legal limitations and underfunding and understaffing make the process of reporting almost unbearable for survivors.  This makes me admire those who come forward all the more, even as I understand when victims feel they cannot.

All these stories make me sick, truly, and I am just reading them.  How can those who were supposed to prevent or punish the abuse -- those who know the victims in person, those who got these stories from the victims' own voices and that saw the hurt on their faces -- not feel the URGE to do everything in their power to stop those abusers?

The worst is that all the stories speak of a larger culture of silence and protection of abusers...and that's just so wrong but so deeply rooted in the fs community, at the highest levels too.

Heck, I am not even surprised that Didier friggin coached alongside not one but two of the accused, nor that one of the accused works in the very rink were apparently Cipres is now allowed to train young skaters.

FS, with its sweeping things under the carpet attitude and the insufferable fixation on keeping things like they have always been, is such a perfect environment for abusers to get away.
And the community failed those girls, and it's still failing them now they are adult women, and it's also failing all the girls and boys those predators are still allowed to coach.

And the silence of the ISU is deafening on this matter too. It's as if all those stories of abuse were just matters every country or skating rink has to sort out on their own. As if people like Callaghan weren't tainting the whole sport, as if some of them didn't have official roles in fs institutions, as if the very feds that ISU is supposed to represent and rule on weren't directly involved in the cover-up...

but after all, it's ISU, ethics and backbone are perhaps too much to expect

I am glad more and more stories are surfacing, and yet how many more we don't get to hear, and every single time there are still the same dumb questions: "why didn't they say anything earlier?" Maybe because they were afraid of a community that places 0 value on their wellbeing? And even when they try and speak, even when there is an investigation, nothing changes (see Callaghan, see now Beyer too)

3 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Unreal. On the other hand, if this is the way things were in the French fed up to the very highest level, then the only surprising thing is that there haven't been more accusations made yet. 

I'm not at all surprised.  Institutions have long had a vested interest in a culture of silence regarding abuse of many kinds and going against it is so very hard.  If you wanted to compete and then later wanted to work in FS you would keep your mouth shut.  Often it takes a long time before some extremely brave soul will step forward and once that happens it serves as a tipping point in which others are inspired to do the same.  But that too often takes some time as lawyers, etc. need to be retained and consulted first, stories and evidence need to be checked.  That usually takes someone with time and money available to fight. 

18 minutes ago, Songster01 said:

But that too often takes some time as lawyers, etc. need to be retained and consulted first, stories and evidence need to be checked.  That usually takes someone with time and money available to fight. 

However, it is the only way to ensure these matters are handled correctly. Otherwise it just becomes 'he said, she said'. Look at the Weinstein case. Despite the number of women coming forward describing extremely disturbing behaviour on his part, his lawyers are still arguing there's no evidence he did anything untoward. 

43 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

However, it is the only way to ensure these matters are handled correctly. Otherwise it just becomes 'he said, she said'. Look at the Weinstein case. Despite the number of women coming forward describing extremely disturbing behaviour on his part, his lawyers are still arguing there's no evidence he did anything untoward. 

Exactly.  I am not complaining about the need to find a competent lawyer, go through evidence, etc., though it is right to note the time involved is yet another source of agony for survivors, who go through so much even without that.  If you follow Judge Three, you will see how much this affects survivors in the US who are forced to rely on SafeSport, which is underfunded and understaffed.  As your question was why more people had not come forward yet, I was trying to give you some of the reasons why it was not surprising more people had come forward.  One is the ugliness thrown at survivors from many directions; two is the fear they might never be able to compete or work in the field/community again (if they wish to do so).  Third is the cost in money and time needed to take action.  It is so much harder for people of less means to come forward unless a lawyer takes them on pro bono or reduced costs.  I am sure there are additional reasons hindering people coming forward, depending on individual communities and circumstances.

1 hour ago, Songster01 said:

As your question was why more people had not come forward yet, I was trying to give you some of the reasons why it was not surprising more people had come forward. 

Ah, I see. No, I get that there's lots of reasons why people don't come forward, I wasn't questioning that.  What I was trying to express was that, if the rot goes to the very top, then the situation with Cipres is not so surprising after all, and it seems likely that more such revelations will be coming. I.e. does this new story point to a culture of impunity for sexual harassment and abuse? Because it could.