[TW] Sexual Abuse & Misconduct in Figure Skating

Just now, SuperMin said:

I’m not saying you are wrong to bring it up, because so very important, but I just feel this chat should stay very clear of this.  I’d hate to see his name be anywhere near this.  Maybe a another link is appropriate?

Let's just continue it in the retired skaters thread.

3 minutes ago, SuperMin said:

I’m not saying you are wrong to bring it up, because so very important, but I just feel this chat should stay very clear of this.  I’d hate to see his name be anywhere near this.  Maybe a another link is appropriate?

Yes, totally agree. Thank you for the reminder. ☺

What bother me more than anything is the potential victim blaming.  It is horrible that Coughlin is dead by suicide, but this suicide doesn’t make his accusers automatic liars. I really wish the US Feds would seek the truth and not hide mini-Nassars in FS.

I watched the most recent TSL video on this not the one before. It was mostly Brennan talking.

Basically she said it was public information on the Safe Sport website and she followed her standards of journalism ethics when reporting. That it would've been journalism malpractice to not report it. 

1 hour ago, MeowZu said:

Daily Mail is horrible as always. 

They have always been dreadfully biased and one sided. This is a very tricky situation, and we might never learn what really happened...

I disliked TSL - not because of their usual Yuzu bashing, but because I couldn’t stand the very manner they presented things with - but death threats if they be true are just too much. 

Daily Mail is horrible, but they have been on the side of prominent people in the UK who were falsely accused a few years ago in the witch hunt that followed the Jimmy Savile revelations.  They probably feel pretty smug about being on the right side in that mess and see this as a way of keeping that storyline running, but it’s not been really an equivalent situation - no overzealous, inappropriately heavy handed police investigation, police promoted excess publicity, etc.( not that the DM is likely to care about that - headlines headlines).  The worst part is that the case looks like it won’t now be investigated, which seems to leave the US figure skating community taking sides with no real information on which to base their opinions, just their knee jerk reactions,  which is unfair to the complainants and to the person accused.

I just feel very sad about this whole situation. Victims need to be heard, investigations need to be carried out, the accused deserve fair trials etc., ... but social media just did what it now does, moving faster and faster without necessarily having all the facts, and things escalated to where we are now. I find that these days any hint of any wrongdoing (in all areas) blows up so quickly when a press of a button can send information (both correct or incorrect) everywhere around the world. Proper and careful investigations have no hope of keeping up with the court of public opinion and this is worrying to me... but it's the new reality.

6 hours ago, kaeryth said:

This is just....

If people who don't have any ideas about what happened, other than he committed suicide, they wouldn't be able to find any information, other than whatever was written in newspapers. And it's not as if the newspapers that reported it, USA Today, is the world's most trustworthy source, not to mention some of the bias against Brennan. This action just washed the more authoritative information out of the picture.

It's really sad that usually, to get more cohesive action done, it would take a very well known person (aka OGM) to come out in public, such as the recent KSU and US Gymnastics cases. =(