Jump to content
sallycinnamon

[2018/19] European Championships (21.01-27.01) - Pairs and ID SP & FS + Gala

Recommended Posts

26 minutes ago, Tee said:

 

 

I didn't watch the Gala (except Javi's ex :tumblr_inline_nhkezmeBaq1qid2nw:) what did the president's "speech" have to do with Javi tho? Because he called out the judges scoring??

Because it was an awkward bit of politicking that stomped all over what should have been Javi's big farewell moment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, hopeandlegacy2018 said:

I don’t understand people’s reactions to this gala.  Sports and politics always mix, but only the popular sports get the political attention. It didn’t happen in figure skating because nobody cares about us. Isn’t it nice for figure skating to get some recognition and finally show up in some mainstream news in more parts of the world?

Did you watch the speech? It was....very weird. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Did you watch the speech? It was....very weird. 

 

I thought the main point was just they wanted to host world championships haha.  It was nice that he high fived all the skaters and all the skaters were given special presents. The skaters seemed happy too, and a few skaters also took selfie with him. I’m happy for the skaters. The audience seemed mainly to be locals anyway and they were cheerful to see their president as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I was a skater, I really wouldn't want to be nowhere near that particular president. And I wonder how many of them who know at least something about political situation in Eastern Europe think the same (not talking about people from Belarus and Russia). Most of them actually seemed uncomfortable.

And if it had to happen, opening ceremony would be a right time. Not stealing the spotlight from skaters, all of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hm I got a completely different read on the situation... And the skaters looked a bit uncomfortable with him & his speech. Especially Alina when he really forcefully wanted a selfie  :unsure2:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, yuzuonice said:

Hm I got a completely different read on the situation... And the skaters looked a bit uncomfortable with him & his speech. Especially Alina when he really forcefully wanted a selfie  :unsure2:

Yes, I was thinking poor Alina! She was obviously very uncomfortable, the president had his arm around her very unmannerly, and you know she'll be dragged thru the mud by the haters for 'letting' him do it, when she was desperately trying to be polite. ('Letting' because she didn't have much choice about it.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KitSileya said:

Yes, I was thinking poor Alina! She was obviously very uncomfortable, the president had his arm around her very unmannerly, and you know she'll be dragged thru the mud by the haters for 'letting' him do it, when she was desperately trying to be polite. ('Letting' because she didn't have much choice about it.)

it will be the 'why Yulia let Putin pat her head' situation from Sochi again, won't it? Le sigh...I didn't even watch it and I can picture everything too well...

I think we might be too brief for the Satellites from other continents- politics OT Trigger warning ahead!
 

Spoiler

 

Belarus and Russia kinda have this weird love/hate relationship where both emotions come from one participant at the same time, namely politics of Belarus are like 'yeah we love you, mother Russia, let's become one!'(also, even though they disguise it as a democracy, it's basically dictatorship), meanwhile people are either neutral, too scared to say something or downright 'bleh, don't come near us!' (they're also arrested for that), it's also not spoken about nearly enough in the international field (it also isn't spoken about enough in neighboring countries, even though Poland do offer asylum and "exchange" programs for opressed Belarussian students, or at least did those few years ago when I've met some of them). Meanwhile Russia is being kinda "O.o O-kay" about the whole thing (and tbh Alina-prez situation is probably the best depiction of it...although, if there are some Russian/Belarussian Satellites with political knowledge here, do correct me if the stance changed!)

What I'm trying to say is, no, it's not a good thing Europeans were used as a political tool and place for political speech, since that means Belarus will corrupt  and politically influence its sportsmen's lives and careers even more than Russian and Chinese Fed for example. And even if local people did look happy to see their president, they might have been  paid to look like that/threatened/bribed/substituted in just for the time of speech and leava as soon as their job was over. OF COURSE there are also voluntary supporters of the ruling party, but I wouldn't assume all Belarussians there were that. If Worlds were to happen in Belarus I'm afraid they would be used even more as a 'look how great our politics are' instead of 'look how great this sport is' argument...

 

Anyway, I'm scared to watch Prometo, I don't want to cry myself to sleep...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, airi said:

If I was a skater, I really wouldn't want to be nowhere near that particular president. And I wonder how many of them who know at least something about political situation in Eastern Europe think the same (not talking about people from Belarus and Russia). Most of them actually seemed uncomfortable.

And if it had to happen, opening ceremony would be a right time. Not stealing the spotlight from skaters, all of them.

My thinking exactly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, hopeandlegacy2018 said:

 

I thought the main point was just they wanted to host world championships haha.  It was nice that he high fived all the skaters and all the skaters were given special presents. The skaters seemed happy too, and a few skaters also took selfie with him. I’m happy for the skaters. The audience seemed mainly to be locals anyway and they were cheerful to see their president as well. 

....Hmm. what I saw was an autocrat used to getting his own way or crushing opposition co-opting an event that had exactly zero to do with him for political ends. But my perspective is my perspective. Others are free to see things their own way too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×