sallycinnamon

[2018/19] European Championships (21.01-27.01) - Ladies SP & FS

1 minute ago, sallycinnamon said:

She again bombed her SP and her free skate wasn't perfect either. Not sure how many more chances she should get from the federation. She can't handle pressure, we have seen it last year at Worlds, at this Europeans, too. We'll see how Rusfed decides but imo she shouldn't be at Worlds even if she won senior Nationals

Yes, and that's in their rules that 1st and 2nd (eligible) skaters go to Europeans, but the Worlds are based on how well they actually do in other competitions.

OT I'm not even sure about them sending Kovtun, too, if he doesn't do better than Samarin.

Anyway, too bad Carolina wasn't here (I know, I probably said it already......), she could very probably have gold (if she was healthy of course...)

Tbh I still think they should send Alina (with Sofia and Liza) if we take results in consideration, but if Alina really is injured, then it's better not to, really. Because we don't know nothing about how she really is, that's the reason I'm not sure she will go to Worlds.

Baring an injury, I have no doubt that they will send Alina who deserves it unquestionably. I worry however because there will even more pressure on her at WC with the Japanese squad present. She could realistically be off-podium if she bombs. Anything can happen of course, Alina can also prove her doubters wrong and shine, but she doesn't have great deal of momentum going into worlds right now. :tumblr_inline_mn41rkfu9v1qz4rgp:

Just gotta shout it from the rooftops!

Adorable kawaii Sofia is European champion squeeeeeee!!!!!! :mushroom7::congratualtions:

1 hour ago, airi said:

Yes, and that's in their rules that 1st and 2nd (eligible) skaters go to Europeans, but the Worlds are based on how well they actually do in other competitions.

OT I'm not even sure about them sending Kovtun, too, if he doesn't do better than Samarin.

Anyway, too bad Carolina wasn't here (I know, I probably said it already......), she could very probably have gold (if she was healthy of course...)

Tbh I still think they should send Alina (with Sofia and Liza) if we take results in consideration, but if Alina really is injured, then it's better not to, really. Because we don't know nothing about how she really is, that's the reason I'm not sure she will go to Worlds.

If we take the results into consideration then Alina deserves to go.I just wish her the best and that she takes care of herself, whatever the decision will be. Health comes first, as always.

2 hours ago, Nutmeg said:

What would happen if Zhenya skated very well at the upcoming Russian competition (assuming that she does)? Would they consider sending her instead of Alina?

Why would they do that? Alina is GPF and Euros silver medalist. Sofia is fifth at GPF and Gold at Euros. Liza is bronze at GPF. All have season’s best better than Zhenya. I’m assuming they would only send her if the other three are unfortunately injured. 

really sad that Alina had a bad skate. I was really thinking this would be her revenge competition. Still silver is a good results of course, but it's the reason of the silver that worries me. At this point idk, I just hope her team is letting her have a tiny little rest (and maybe a tiny adjustment of layout could help too). I hope she really had enough time to recover after RusNats (what had upset me the most of that footage of 'trying' 4F in harness was that it was only a few days after RusNats and I hoped she would have not been practicing jumps so soon, as there was plenty of times before Euros). I just hope she isn't just trying to cope with injury pretending it's not there and it doesn't require some rest (from jumps especially).

On the other side, really happy Sofia finally her her her chance to SHINE! :tumblr_inline_mto5i9TIpx1qid2nw: Well done, new european champion!:tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid: consistency paid off and now no way RusFed won't send her to Worlds (IMO she had already earned that spot with what she had done in first half of the season). I'd say Alina and Liza should have the other spots based on their results and hopefully the > one and half month before WC will be well spent in appropriate training. idk what Sambo does for supporting skaters mentally, I'd expect, being a big school/facility that they have some kind of staff in place to deal with the mental part of competition. For sure I hope they are not just going to rely on drilling runthrorughs to ensure consistency, when it looks like for Alina drilling runthroughs isn't the way to go at the moment.

Super happy for Viveca too! Awesome! And twice happy she and Emmi are taking 3 spots home too!:tumblr_inline_n2pjcy6tMv1qdlkyg::10742289:

As always downloading everything (still haven't watched the SP argh)

Having watched some of Alina's practice before the free skate, if she's injured, she's not going to get any better like that. And if she's not well, after a practice session being driven like that, she might have been too exhausted by competition. Poor girl. I hope she's okay.

Well done Sofia - she deserved that win and she did it with a smile on her face and the kind of pizzaz that the USA wishes one of their skaters could come close to achieving.  Still not quite a fan but I respect what she did today.

Viveca - as far as I’m concerned can skate to the warhorses of her choosing in the unitard of my nightmares for the rest of her career for getting on this podium.

Alina- I don’t know what to say except I hope she can work out what she wants for herself, and can find a way to achieve it and be happy.

Alina seems to be taller every time she appears. I wonder how tall she is now. This season must be so hard for her with the pressure and the growth.  :sadPooh:

I’m happy to see all the support she gets. Hope she can have a good time in Japan with Masaru. :img_21:

Well just caught up with some of the ladies free after falling asleep in front of my laptop :facepalm:

Sofia - so happy for her. What a fighter, to put up a clean skate and nail her elements knowing the gold was within her grasp. Don’t think she’s ever had a truly bad skate this season, and that’s some amazing consistency. I’m so glad she has this before the onslaught of the Russian girls hits us. Forces the judges to put her in the reckoning when it comes to the components.

speaking of components, I don’t see how Alina could get the components she did with that skate. So many mistakes, and still above Sofia?! In which universe?? Sadly it just wasn’t her day. Although Im not a fan of her skating, what I really liked was her attitude after she finished. She had a wry smile and it seemed like she was at peace and wasn’t beating herself over it. Seems she has accepted its ok to make mistakes. I hope she stays happy and healthy.

now to go back to the threads and see what I missed.

On 1/25/2019 at 12:18 PM, airi said:

I know, but for me it's quite obvious she's not completely healthy. if she was and she skated like that, her reaction would be different after the skate imo. She just looked a bit resigned and if she kind of expected it.

We may hear something soon from her team, maybe.

maybe she had a bad day (again), but you really can have only so much of them when you skate in Russia.

Well i’d say that based on history, this is right on schedule (perhaps a bit more accelerated than the girls that came before her). There is only so long they can maintain this type of training once growth occurs. What is she now? The 4th or 5th girl? I hope I am wrong but I don’t think I am.