sallycinnamon

[2018] JGPF (6-9.12.) Vancouver - Stream and Discussion

1 minute ago, moonkat said:

Anna is really thin, like Elibabet. I think they both don't have the strength to do styles other then Eteri's, which is really efficient, well. 

Well that style gets points, so it works. I don't think Anna is a bad skater or anything, she's obviously very good. She was just really hyped up when she was recovering from injury and Sasha's quads started getting all that attention (in a 'well just you wait until Anna comes back, she's got quads AND she skates like an angel' kind of way), and that hype carried over into her components when she did come back and start skating again. 

I can live til the day Alyona wins over Trusova in some comp, and it's JGPF... *sob* :sadPooh:

Except failure of quads I still think it's a great event! It's a bit sad Tarakanova didn't podium but she got her best FS here, she has skated amazing.

I had an eye for Kanysheva since Linz and she also skated very well here. It's just her junior debut and she alr medaled in JGPF. She has good basics and good jump techniques, anticipate her future:D.

Trusova failed the quads but she skated the rest of the program like nothing. What a competitor. I saw this FS many times and was always in awe when she went for 2A (even 2A3T :tumblr_inline_ncmiffG34Z1rpglid:) straight from a 4T. Just WOW.

I'm not very impressed by Scherbakova all this ss, but her SP here changed my mind a bit. She went to JGPF as very strong medal contender but made some serious mistakes in the SP. She might have been broken inside but she kept her smile and delight to the VERY end. Only 14 years old and so professional, I have nothing but respect for her.

Needless to say about Kosto. As a fan and was so sad about her last GP's skates, I'm happy she delivered it all here. Never seen her smile SO bright=)).

Btw the video's quality of this event is TOP NOTCH. Best among whatever I see from all JGP events. Keep up the good work :winky:

Happy for Alena! Her 2A has very good height, hope she can get 3A in the future to be competitive on the highest level. Sasha is a brave girl, not a fan of her skating, but great competitor. Also happy for a good skate from Nastya!

Pairs were wonderful and all so different - very interesting to watch.

I've just remebered the camerawork on Nastya's spin mid-program....panning out until she was a freaking small point in a wide wide expanse of white. I was screaming internally: camera-guy have you fallen asleep? gosh that shot of her spin was even worse than the shot of Yuzuru's second spin in Helsinki H&L:facepalm: it couldn't get farther than that:tantrum:

also, allow me to feel extremely sad at Nasyta's PCS, SS included :13877886: she was clean, but still the lowest of the comp in both segments:sad-smiley-046:

On 12/6/2018 at 9:38 PM, Sammie said:

I only remember him doing quads in the short was for Canada Nats....I can be wrong of course. 

The junior men can do 3As in the short and they can also do quads in the long.  If you are remembering Stephen in last season's Canada nationals doing quads, remember, because he had won national titles in all the lower grades Stephen was skating senior level which meant that just like the senior men he could put quads in his short program.

On 12/7/2018 at 7:45 PM, Old Cat Lady said:

I know people say Gogolev doesn't have anything but jumps but I'm actually impressed with how sharp his choreographic movements are for his age.  Needs to work on his expression a bit but plenty of seniors have success just looking serious and performing jumps

If you compare Stephen's performances this season to last season's there's a world of difference.  Stephen's starting to realize that to be consistently successful you have to have more than aerobatics.  I'm sure that the close proximity of Yuzu to him during training has enabled Brian and the others of the TCC crew to use Yuzu as an example of a skater whose wins are based on the completeness of the package.  Particularly the narrative of how Yuzu skated a somewhat dumbed-down version of his FS but still took the gold, primarily on the strength of his GOEs and PCS points, that was a means by which Stephen was made to realize that the surest path to gold is to have a program packed with things that get points even when one is not in the air.  Looking at Stephen this year, and remembering that in last season's Canadian nationals and skating in the senior competition Stephen still managed to come in tenth.  I really do think there's a chance he could medal this time around.  Another thing to think about and that is that Stephen, on the basis of what he's done this season and also what we know he can do, he does have a very good chance to snag the Junior World Championship this year.  He is clearly amongst those who are seen as having podium potential.  One final note on Stephen.  I really think that, while Stephen's skating personality as it seems to be developing is very different from Patrick Chan, Stephen is already being seen as Patrick's heir and as Canada's best hope for gold in Beijing in 2022.

7 minutes ago, micaelis said:

The junior men can do 3As in the short and they can also do quads in the long.  If you are remembering Stephen in last season's Canada nationals doing quads, remember, because he had won national titles in all the lower grades Stephen was skating senior level which meant that just like the senior men he could put quads in his short program.

Yes I know he can do quads for the free in  Senior Canada Nationals and I already know why he is competing in that competition even though he is a junior  :happy: