If It Wasn't for Yuzuru, I'd Never Have....

3 hours ago, utsukushii3A said:

I just keep coming up with new things for this thread. He's such a good role model.

New as of a few weeks ago! I never would have learned to stand up for myself about my vision problems. I don't know if it's where I live or just bad luck with the people I've encountered, but it seems like no one around here cares about anyone's medical problems unless there's enough emotion along with it. Like, never mind that everything is blurring in and out and I feel like my eyes are going to fall out of my head if I read one more sentence, I'm not crying or anything, so it can't be that bad! So, I'd keep pushing myself until I got a splitting headache and ended up so frustrated with how much I wanted to keep working but couldn't that I'd cry because of that. Then people would cut me some slack. :facepalm:

Yeah, pretty sure if anyone pulled that on Yuzu about his asthma, they'd get his best murderface. So if anyone pulls that on me about my plethora of vision problems, I'll just think of said murderface and refuse to back down.

Yeah many people can't seem to understand when people have medical issues. I have many medical problems so I know where you're coming from. I push myself all the time just to do something I like. It's so hard when you can't do it very long cause you feel worse. I knit and practice Japanese but can't for very long due to leg and head pain. And if it's an ongoing issue for a long time people soon forget and you have to remind them that no I can't go out for coffee cause I only have so much energy.  Yes Yuzuru's murderface could come in handy lol! 

On 2/16/2019 at 6:42 AM, rockstaryuzu said:

If it weren't for Yuzu re-introducing me to watching FS, I wouldn't have had any stress relief for the past three months when I badly needed it. But figure skating ( and Yuzu videos) was there for me and I'm grateful.

Quoting this because the past few months have been a series of many lows and 9 out of 10 times the only thing that has kept me sane is Yuzuru's videos and I am honestly so grateful for this person and everything he represents. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, here we go... this may have been a while ago, but in the same year of the Tohoku earthquake, I too was caught in one, albeit of a slightly smaller magnitude (Christchurch NZ earthquake.) Despite me being rather young at the time, I was continually waking up with nightmares. When I finally managed to banish this somewhat to the past several years later, I was caught in yet ANOTHER big earthquake (7.8 magnitude). I also moved schools shortly after, where I was bullied as I am rather intelligent but don't like large groups, and therefore was considered weird. On top of that, my asthma was getting worse, and I am a singer, so that was really difficult. I would have to stop singing as I was on the verge of passing out. Even music had betrayed me in my mind. I remember seeing Yuzu perform at Pyeongchang, without really paying close attention to him (I didn't even watch FS). But then, several months later, when I was getting worse and worse as I was still being bullied and beginning to crack under pressure, Haru Yo Koi popped up in my recommended list. I cried when I watched it. Looking into Yuzu's backstory, I began to try to emulate him, and in bad situations think WWYHD? Thank you Yuzu, for everything.

If it weren't for Yuzru Hanyu I would never go to Sendai, particularly the Arahama Elementary school.Sendai city is a very quaint and peaceful place.

They have been coping well since the earthquake.

However for Arahama, what moved me the most was how small and quick decisions can be life changing.

In the video shown in the school exhibit, the principal had a choice of evacuating the kids inside the building or in the gymnasium.

Protocol wise they should go for the gym, but his feelings told him the school's 2nd floor will be better.

And that gut feeling saved 350 plus people together with the other evacuees from the town.

I was not directly related to the tragedy but I felt so sad, then I understood what more the people invovled?

Thank you Yuzuru for being brave when things are scary. For being strong even if circumstances are so difficult to bear.

Choosing to be generous with blessings when you can keep it for yourself.

Remaining humble and striving to be a better person.

And smiling always even if there is no reason to.

You are an inspiration, the ultimate champion no amount of world records, color of medals or count of titles can change that.

@Ashley2162018 Thank you so much for sharing that story...if it wasn't for Yuzu, none of us here would know that story because you wouldn't have gone to Sendai or shared it with us here. 

Sometimes it seems like Yuzu's influence is a bit like a stone dropped into a still pond, creating ripples that spread out further and further until they reach the far shores. 

If not for Yuzu, I wouldn't have much faith in humanity. There's just too much negativity in the world and my life had been quite shitty as well, frankly, just too much people trying to take advantage of other's kindness or living their lives without regard for the others. It's not that we need to live our lives according to what other people expect or us or want of us, but more that people live their lives without consideration of how it impacts the others.

To have someone who lives his live the way he wants to, but yet full of consideration of the others around him, always responsible for himself, always caring and always expecting the best of himself. And from that:

• People love him for being that
  • People want to become like that
  • People strive to be like that

That gives me a glimmer of hope that the world isn't actually going to shit and we may actually pull ourselves out of the shit hole humanity dug ourselves in.

I'm sorry this is a very pessimistic view of the world. But there's hope! And I see it from him.

If it wasn't for Yuzuru, I'd never have watched figure skating. In my country, figure skating is never broadcast on TV, except the Olympic, and there is no news about figure skating whatsoever. I only found out about Yuzu after last year Olympic, fell in love with his skating and the life of a fan started. 

Spoiler

I can't believe that after almost a year, I am still a mushroom :english2:. I need to post more often I guess. 

• 1 month later...

Without Yuzuru, I would have never found my passion for skating. It gave me confidence and distraction which I oh so needed and to this day, I can't go a week without being on the ice. He makes me want to be passionate about life - to want big things and to not give up along the way. Also, watching him skate almost always calms me down when I'm having an anxiety attack or get sad. True legend in my eyes!

If it wasn't for Yuzu, I would not be travelling to Montreal for the first time ever in 2020. 

I had planned to travel across Canada once I had visited all the international countries on my bucketlist and became too 'high risk' for travel insurers to insure.

• 5 weeks later...
On 6/28/2019 at 8:57 PM, rockstaryuzu said:

...and if it wasn't for him, I wouldn't even remotely be contemplating planning tours of Kelowna for strangers from the Internet right now! :hihi:

haha...most fanyus are unlikely to be serial killers!... (carrying soft Pooh paraphernalia)

• 2 months later...

If it wasn't for Yuzuru, I would never have had my first conversation in (very broken) Japanese, with actual Japanese speakers, yesterday morning. The four aunties were so pleased that I could say ' yonkaiten Salchow', 'sukoshi', 'kuyashii', and 'nihongo beginner desu' while pointing to myself, and then, while pointing to a picture of Yuzu I had open on my phone, 'because of him'. 

They all delightedly told me ( in great English) 'Ah, he changed your life! So wonderful!' 

:softYuzu:

• 1 month later...