If It Wasn't for Yuzuru, I'd Never Have....

One more! (there's like 50 more but one for now)

If it wasn't for Zuzu, I might not have passed my IELTS with the scores that I did. I have anxiety and I am not the most fluent person when it comes to talking in general, so I was really worried about the Speaking portion of the IELTS exam. I honestly think I had all the luck on my side, because the topic that I was given was "Talk about someone you admire but haven't met IRL.

Needless to say, I completely forgot about my anxiety and went way over the time limit...finally I had to be stopped by a smiling invigilator. :1:

56 minutes ago, dorkyiceprince said:

One more! (there's like 50 more but one for now)

If it wasn't for Zuzu, I might not have passed my IELTS with the scores that I did. I have anxiety and I am not the most fluent person when it comes to talking in general, so I was really worried about the Speaking portion of the IELTS exam. I honestly think I had all the luck on my side, because the topic that I was given was "Talk about someone you admire but haven't met IRL.

Needless to say, I completely forgot about my anxiety and went way over the time limit...finally I had to be stopped by a smiling invigilator. :1:

That's so awesome! I hope the invigilator went out and watched a Yuzu video afterwards. 

If it wasn't for Yuzuru:  I would never have heard of Joe Hisaishi, which led me to watching Studio Ghibli films, which led me to watching any eng sub Japanese movie I can get ahold of, which led to studying Japanese.  I would not have rekindled my love for the sport, which fell off a few decades ago.  I would never have travelled by myself to Helsinki to watch a competition live ( I would never have even thought of doing anything like that, and I would not have ended up in a fan cam on YT :wave:. Many thanks to all the seasoned satellites who posted info on how to get tickets and do the trip).  Finally, because of Yuzuru, I stop and think WWYHD? when I'm about to cut corners on a task or project.  He is really an inspiration. 

Hello and thanks, this topic comes at right time as i felt a lot these days and wanted to share if you don't mind.. hope my story is not too boring:

If it wasn't for Yuzu, I would not have gone to visit Yuzuruha Jinja, would not have only rice-ball takeaway as dinner in a hotel during my vacation in japan to catch his FS at Helsinki, definitely not joining any fans forum nor writing here as I never did before...

Spoiler

Am a mushroom level Fanyu after he got his 2nd OGM.  It was a totally brand new experience for me to rush to subscribe online apps or links to watch old commentaries, ice shows and competitions etc.  I will write further tmrw for that was another long story.  Want to try if i can post sth here first.

The GP Hel weekend story was totally unexpected.  For some reasons i was staying Jap that long weekend on my own.  On Friday, couldn’t help keep checking Yuzu’s OP status from internet, and verified the TV channel no. and timetable for GP live broadcast the next day.

On Sat, with some free time, I travelled and visited the Yuzuruha Jinja (unfortunately didnt find his own handwriting!) and rushed train back to hotel in order to see his SP.   Could feel my heart beating fast and my hands sweating whole day until SP was over.  Was so happy as he won and broke the WR... on same day after having visited the temple he went before! 

On Sun, I again rushed back to hotel after a long day of sightseeing and shopping.  To avoid missing the time, I just brought takeaway dinner and ate in my little room to wait and watch his FS live from TV.  Unbelievable isnt it?  How to imagine these, for one never watched FS nor followed any types of sports before.  

Even on the way leaving Jap on following Monday was interesting - Yuzu’s news were often repeated on TV channels, and I was still watching some of those broadcasting from TV when waiting at the gate for flight departure!

:devilYuzu:

While i was wondering it has been so busy to be a Fanyu, longing for his COR performance once I was back at home, last weekend was such a big roller coaster ride.  Felt like having depression pain in the heart again.  Thanks to this planet,  including the v lovely story from @4Nessie , about bears, the star, the boy, the forest... I cried badly (detailed reasons to explain in a later post, if i can write about it tmrw) but then calmed down with a more peaceful mind.  May I say thanks here to you all too!

Mr Hanyu, it has been a week since injury.  Hope the pain is gradually going away and you get well soon!  💕💝

@PoohandYuzu Thanks for sharing your story! So wonderful that you could visit the shrine.

I have one more: if it wasn't for Yuzu, I wouldn't have been able to keep my mother entertained today while she recovers from having a lumpectomy. Because I've shown her some of Yuzu's videos, she's now interested enough in figure skating that we could watch the IdF Men's SP livestream together. 

However, none of the skaters competing today impress her the way Yuzu does. :9:

9 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

@PoohandYuzu Thanks for sharing your story! So wonderful that you could visit the shrine.

I have one more: if it wasn't for Yuzu, I wouldn't have been able to keep my mother entertained today while she recovers from having a lumpectomy. Because I've shown her some of Yuzu's videos, she's now interested enough in figure skating that we could watch the IdF Men's SP livestream together. 

I hope she gets better soon! 

2 minutes ago, dorkyiceprince said:

I hope she gets better soon! 

Thank you. I spent most of the day trying to stop her from doing things she wasn't supposed to yet, so at least she's full of energy. I suspect that if she and Yuzu were ever to meet and compare notes on how to recover from injury, they would have a lot in common. I definitely could have used a swan bag for her today! 😃

14 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Does she like to discuss the costumes? That could keep her engrossed for days! (Please encourage her to join Team UA, exercise gear never looked so otherworldly.) lol

:disdain:

7 hours ago, Whee1000 said:

Does she like to discuss the costumes? That could keep her engrossed for days! (Please encourage her to join Team UA, exercise gear never looked so otherworldly.) lol

:disdain:

Not yet, she's still trying to figure out how the skaters can jump and spin without getting dizzy.

Love this thread! :tumblr_inline_mto5i3wxFW1qid2nw:

Without Yuzu, I wouldn't have gotten the chance to visit Marseille, France for the GPF in 2016 and I would've never discovered the beauty of the Phantom of the Opera musical (as famous as it is) and got the chance to watch the live musical twice. 

Actually this is the part that I want to share but hesitated a little bit earlier, as it is rather long sad and personal for the last 9-10 month journey to know Yuzu and myself.  But in a way I do hope he may lurk and peek thru this one day, knowing that:

If it wasnt because of Yuzu, I might not have stopped crying nights after nights, still could not sleep but should have gone consultation had I not been able to control my depression spread...

Spoiler

Time first went back to 16 Feb, 1st day of Chinese New Year as sports evening news first popped up when I turned on TV, reporting Yuzu’s lead after SP performance.  While I had absolutely no idea about FS at all, he caught my attention for a second, for his name (pretty and meaningful Chinese characters), his face (sorry for being shallow, haha) and overlord result (no 1)

On 17 Feb the next morning, by chance I read the internet news about Pooh Rains after Yuzu’s SP.  Began then to roll my eyes for minutes as I am a Pooh fans too.  In evening, again, sports news happened to pop up first the minute I turned on TV, reporting his 2nd gold medal and the Pooh rainstorm.  Then kept his name by heart

In fact I had been feeling v upset and even hided and cried those two days as it was my first CNY after my dearest mother left for heaven last year.  But I had been hiding my sadness for months and months, without telling my family as i think they have the same pain after all.  (Yes I can tell you honestly, one with depression can and will try hard covering up, when left brain knows the need to think positive and is fighting against the right brain which cant help but let depression feelings grow)

What a coincident in timing as if it was meant to really catch my attention again and again.  Thinking back, wondered if it was an angel sent by my mom in heaven or God... to then help me get through the 2 weeks after CNY holidays - when depression spread further v badly plus a bad flu kept me in bed for almost 2 wks; other than the times I slept like in a coma after taking med, i surfed internet for Yuzu’s videos randomly whenever i had few minutes or short hours awake (as other friends happened to send me his news too)

Initially it was more out of curiosity for his Poohs, wanting to know how good and hegemony/overlord he is as a champion in this sports such that he can bring his Pooh mate to the rink.  (Cant imagine a CEO to bring a Pooh box to meeting room in workplace... )

Then you probably know it cant be explained in words but got attracted by the magnet.   Two months later one day in April, I suddenly realised i had already gone thru Yuzu’s prior competitions and documentaries bit by bit every night before I sleep.  After my mom left, for months and months, I was used to sleep only after I got too tired from crying as I miss her every day.  As I watched videos about what Yuzu experienced, esp his ups and downs since 2013, I cried and smiled  along - unbelievable but it was basically almost same timing and feelings when my mom’s illness was discovered, then cycles of treatment, stabilization and deteriorations... then my own blackhole in grieve... 

Seeing Yuzu’s fall and crutches from internet last week makes all worried, and also reminded me of his dark days and mine last year, hence the depression pain coming back.  Luckily, by just watching his skates, interviews or smiles, or following his planet’s chats, it helps and is comforting.  I know my mom will want me to stop crying and be strong too.  Although i still fail to do so everyday, I am trying, and think the angel she or God sent is indeed helping and giving me strengths

Perhaps my own imagination, I do feel connected even if I never met with Yuzu (perhaps all Fanyu think in that way, lol).  Think he understands how much a child loves his mother.  Think he has his magic to reach out to and move people, through his performance, words or acts.  Can feel his wisdom, physical power, mental will and loving care towards his sports work and home town ppl.  With his magical power, perhaps that’s why he is king, angel or alien u call it, and why he is so much loved by ppl from all over the world

Apology for the long post and some random thoughts.  Hope this case is not common, as it is kind of sad to read i’m sorry. 

All, thanks for being there even though we dont know each other.

Mr Hanyu, thank you and stay healthy.

Adding to this lovely thread!!

Yuzu has gave me a lot of motivation and inspiration. I've recently (I guess it's almost 2yrs now) moved across the ocean to Germany for my husband's job, where we didn't know anyone or speak the language. We got here in January when the days are super short, dark and gloomy. Yuzu's work ethic was what got me out of bed and to German classes, especially on those days where I just wanted to hide in the covers. This January, around the time the Olympics, I got a job offer for a position that I felt was WAYYY out of my league. I told myself, welp if they think I can do it, then I can. I'm sure yuzuru wouldn't back down from a challenge. Ugh, so now whenever I'm struggling at work, I also ask myself WWYHD.

The bonus of living in Europe is that we get to go to see him compete live! I never thought I would go to an ice skating event either.