Yatagarasu

[2018] GP Rostelecom Cup - Men Free Skating

13 minutes ago, yuzuonice said:

Max & Angelo, proving once again that they know Yuzu more than any other commentator. <3

text for easier reading

Reveal hidden contents

Max: Now is Yuzuru Hanyu's turn. Yesterday, he dominated the short program, setting the new World Record under new rules. However in the morning, he fell during his runthrough, and he had to leave the practice session. A problem on his right foot, which makes it even 
more serious. We'll see in what condition he 
will perform. The best strategy might be to simplify his Free, but we're talking about Yuzuru Hanyu here, one of the best figure skaters ever, if not the best. Let's see. This is a tribute to Plushenko, and in some way to Russia too. 

Angelo: Quadruple Salchow. So, a change of the program. 
A: Quadruple toeloop.
A: Triple Rittberger.
A: Triple flip.
A: Quad toe - Euler - triple Salchow. Incredible. Practically after an error, he pulls out this combination. 
A: Triple Axel. With a fall. 
A: He has one more Axel available.
A: Single Axel.

M: He rightly simplified the program.
A: He did good.

M: And that's a sign of great intelligence. He skated with an evidently messed up ankle. The start was terrific though, because he virtually perfectly executed the 4S and 4T. We even saw some +5 from the judges. There's one element to review - the combination 4T-Eu-3S. But he obtains 80 points in TES, if he gets around 90 PCS this is a Free of around 170 points if that TES remains as it is. Which means he'll win this competition. Let's hope that the ankle wasn't exposed to too much stress. Because the Grand Prix Final is in less than 3 weeks.

A: 2-3 weeks yes. Two and a half weeks.
A: Indeed, he did really good to simplify (the content), he would have won this competition only with triples. Of course, he made some mistakes, including on the Axel which is normally an element that requires a lot of power, it happens. He was clearly very tired in the last part. He's shaking his head because, of course, he knows that his performance wasn't exceptional, but I find the strategy correct, to try and preserve himself as much as possible. And the quality on the first two elements is in fact extraordinary. Also the capability to fight for that combination, 4T-Eu-3S. This is the first 4S. Spectacular.

M: In fact, for the judges, the first call on this element was +4/+5. 
A: Rightfully so.
M: In the end he executed three quads. The 3A wasn't there. 
A: There's one, with a fall. A very unusual thing for him. 
M: And counting today, Yuzuru has completed 13 quads in 6 programs this season.
A: How many has Uno Shoma done?  
M: 16, but in 7 programs. He has one Free more. However, yes, the average is similar.
A: Yes. Here he'll lose some points. The Euler was clearly underrotated. And the Salchow was full. But we're talking about the Euler BV which...
M: Is half a point.
A: But in my opinion, the TES might even go higher, because I haven't seen the value for the Choreo sequence appear. But maybe I just missed it. This is the 3A with the fall. 

M: This is a Hanyu that is mature. A Hanyu that listens to his body, and knows how he should answer to it. Let's remember that it's here that he won his first Grand Prix. This was already 7 years ago, he wasn't 17 yet. And today, we're expecting that he'll win the 10th GP in his career. With double digits in wins, we only have Plushenko, Yagudin and Chan. 
A: Patrick.
M: Obviosuly.
A: They're all heavyweight names.
M: Yes. And if you noticed, Hanyu has also simplified various transitions in his Free because-
A: To preservere himself-
M: Because he didn't feel confident, it's okay that it's like that. 
A: Yes, yes. Also from that aspect, he could pay the price on the component score a bit, because he simplified it. It would be a correct conclusion and we can't say nothing else that case. 
M: Eventhough I'd be surprised to see him a lot under 90. But well, let's see how they judged this. We0re waiting for the score, let's remind that the TES was over 80.
A: Yes. It was 82.
M: 78.25. It has slightly dropped. The 4T-Eu-3S was under review.
A: And maybe the Axel.
M: 90.64 on PCS. He goes into the lead with a big margin. This is the first Free program of the day. He doesn't win on the highest TES though.
A: No. Because Kazuki had 80.91.
M: Details.

video: 

Yuzu, we are in this together! We fans are always with you, loving and praying for you in all different languages that all spell out love and support 

i will probably only watch this performance of Origin if im feeling abnormally depressed and in the mood to sob for hours. The part that gets me is the ina bauer - so beautiful yet, like, i dont know . . . it's just so painful to watch that. him slowly bringing his arm up to cover his face, it's so sad. its so sad. 

I'm feeling slightly better than yesterday but

Spoiler

im so sorry to say this i just have to get it out, to those still feeling depressed and in need of something light and happy to read stay AWAY

Spoiler

i feel like this was the last time he'll skate competitively. He might make it to worlds but im afraid if he tries to land so many quads, worlds will definitely be the end of his skating career. I  know he doesn't want to retire but i just dont think his body will let him continue. I just want him to continue skating for as long as he wants and i feel like if he skates competitively one more time it will destroy his ankle beyond any sort of repair (it kind of already is, imo). I'm so sad. im so so sad. the victory ceremony was so sad, watching him get to the podium on crutches. i just cant help but feel a sense of finality from it all. i hope im wrong. i really do.

yuzu you are a storm, a warrior, a king, an ethereal being, a human being so feel better yuzu, continue with your wings.

39 minutes ago, salty said:

i will probably only watch this performance of Origin if im feeling abnormally depressed and in the mood to sob for hours. The part that gets me is the ina bauer - so beautiful yet, like, i dont know . . . it's just so painful to watch that. him slowly bringing his arm up to cover his face, it's so sad. its so sad. 

Reveal hidden contents

im so sorry to say this i just have to get it out, to those still feeling depressed and in need of something light and happy to read stay AWAY

Reveal hidden contents

i feel like this was the last time he'll skate competitively. He might make it to worlds but im afraid if he tries to land so many quads, worlds will definitely be the end of his skating career. I  know he doesn't want to retire but i just dont think his body will let him continue. I just want him to continue skating for as long as he wants and i feel like if he skates competitively one more time it will destroy his ankle beyond any sort of repair (it kind of already is, imo). I'm so sad. im so so sad. the victory ceremony was so sad, watching him get to the podium on crutches. i just cant help but feel a sense of finality from it all. i hope im wrong. i really do.

yuzu you are a storm, a warrior, a king, an ethereal being, a human being so feel better yuzu, continue with your wings.

Sorry, but you have to let me hate you for this, okay.

Also, I don't believe it for a second. He will always be back, as long as he has his motivation, and he still has a lot :) You have to believe me, I know things :68556365:

I don’t know if anyone of you follows tennis, but I also love Rafael Nadal who also gets injured a lot and every time people say he is finished, that he should retire, he always comes back stronger.  He and Yuzu share so much similarity (exceptional champion’s mentality, works really hard, very humble, humble and low-key family, loves his sport so much).

Both of them are currently injured :sadPooh:

Sometimes I wonder why I have to stan these 2 atheletes; it is so emotional to follow them.  But when the happiness comes it gets exaggerated tenfold because you know what they have been through. 

i believe <3

(even if i feel pessimistic about the whole situation i will take your guys' words to heart <3

Hace 1 hora, salty said:

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

i might have started crying after reading that... I feel you though, that's why i liked the post. those thoughts have crossed ny mind too bc i just can't help being pessimistic in this type of situations :/

2 hours ago, salty said:

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

1 hour ago, ICeleste said:

i might have started crying after reading that... I feel you though, that's why i liked the post. those thoughts have crossed ny mind too bc i just can't help being pessimistic in this type of situations :/

I understand I've felt something similar too, especially if I think of yesterday and today as being the only two days of this season (which is not hard considering after yesterday morning his injury is all I could focus on and everything else became a blur). But when I widened my lens and looked at his past competitions things started to look different. I watched a few of his programs (PC, ACI '17, Fridays short) and became sad but something clicked after watching GPF '15 Seimei and I remembered he's been through this before (before last year) and he overcame it. Sure, it could be worse because it's the same place he got injured last year, but I have this unwavering belief in him that he can do it. He has a great love for the sport and researches the hell out of it to further himself (and I know somehow he'll take this injury into account).

I was confused at first when he skated instead of withdrawing bc he knows how serious this injury is, but after looking at his past interviews and remembering how he became to love this sport and how his FP is so important to him, I understood. Since Oly's he's changed and he's more careful when it comes to his body (at least that's how I'm seeing it regardless of choosing to skate yesterday). He and his team will work on this and he'll definitely come back, I have a feeling. 

Idk why but this video made me feel better and hope it does for you too (maybe if you think about all the interviews he gave like this in the past and then remember what he accomplished after every time - he conquered and he will again!)

3 hours ago, holina said:

Sometimes I wonder why I have to stan these 2 atheletes; it is so emotional to follow them.  But when the happiness comes it gets exaggerated tenfold because you know what they have been through. 

I've said it a million times already but being a Yuzu fan is literally strapping yourself into a roller coaster. You can't control when or where it ends, and you can't get off because feelings aren't as simple as a switch.  The highs are so damn high, but the lows are oh so low.  I would say overall it's the most rewarding being his fan. I don't think I could have been happier for that PC win if I were as big of a fan of anyone else,  but that was after a lot of despair because of NHK.  I am handling it better this time around, but what a bummer.  I just hope this means we'll be in for a huge high later (at Worlds please?).  Can't say he hasn't made all the beyond necessary sacrifices to the skate gods. 

2 hours ago, Danibellerika said:

I've said it a million times already but being a Yuzu fan is literally strapping yourself into a roller coaster. You can't control when or where it ends, and you can't get off because feelings aren't as simple as a switch.  The highs are so damn high, but the lows are oh so low.  I would say overall it's the most rewarding being his fan. I don't think I could have been happier for that PC win if I were as big of a fan of anyone else,  but that was after a lot of despair because of NHK.  I am handling it better this time around, but what a bummer.  I just hope this means we'll be in for a huge high later (at Worlds please?).  Can't say he hasn't made all the beyond necessary sacrifices to the skate gods. 

…yesterday is the first time I learned a leason, that is being a fanyu means you have to arm yourself with strong inner and maintain positive as much as you could during the harsh condition. Cuz otherwise, you would be emotionally cracking down...

I feel better today cuz I keep telling myself I need to trust him. And also based on his reaction to this injure incident, I can say he is more mature and calm to face and deal with situation and making proper decision. 

2 hours ago, Danibellerika said:

We get lower lows than a lot of other skating fans (though not all, those who follow Kolyada, Gracie or others for some would argue) but our highs are that much higher...

I rarely get invested in actors, celebrities and almost never in sport stars (a few musicians, but not to this extent!) and was surprised when I not only found myself caring so much about a sportsman but also the number one sportsman in his field (I am also an inveterate cheerer for underdogs). But Yuzuru... is someone special, so special that feeling for his hard times feels as right as cheering at the good ones.

10 hours ago, TallyT said:

We get lower lows than a lot of other skating fans (though not all, those who follow Kolyada, Gracie or others for some would argue) but our highs are that much higher...

I rarely get invested in actors, celebrities and almost never in sport stars (a few musicians, but not to this extent!) and was surprised when I not only found myself caring so much about a sportsman but also the number one sportsman in his field (I am also an inveterate cheerer for underdogs). But Yuzuru... is someone special, so special that feeling for his hard times feels as right as cheering at the good ones.

:iagree:Same here. Apologies if this is quite :offtopic2:, but I feel the need to share… Warnings for (1) a rather long post, and (2) English is not my native tongue.

I have been watching figure skating since 2002. I have watched many skaters, like Brian Orser, Scott Hamilton, Kurt Browning, Alexei Yagudin, Evgeni Plushenko, etc. For some reason, however, I eventually lost interest in figure skating. Perhaps I just got wrapped up in the toxic corporate world I became a part of (and became jaded along the way).

Fast forward to fourteen years later - one afternoon in October 2016, I found myself clicking on this YT video “Yuzuru Hanyu breaks Olympic Record”. I was thinking, “Who? I don’t know this skater, but the video seems interesting enough.” You can guess what happened next – there really is no turning back once you’ve seen Yuzu skate. At first, it was all about the skating – how can he jump like that? I’ve seen other figure skaters jump, and they certainly didn’t do it like that. How is he so graceful, effortless, natural, elegant, and fluid, on the ice? He is simply mesmerizing to watch. (My greatest regret right now is missing out on Yuzu for so long – why did I discover him so late? I was in Finland back in 2012, the same time he was there competing. I could have watched Finlandia Trophy live if I already knew about him then, darn it.) Later on, I read more about Yuzuru the person, and I got hooked even more.

I am not an emotional being, rather I am the numbers/details/logical type. But Yuzu makes me cry, almost every time he skates. And it’s not just the artistry/skating skill (which is unparalleled, in my humble opinion), it’s the person – everything that he is, everything he stands for, everything he’s been through – that’s what makes me cry. Beauty makes people cry. So does Perfection. And Kindness. It just so happens that Yuzu has all of these attributes as well. (You can all just imagine how much I bawled when he got injured, both at NHK and Rostelecom.)

To me, Yuzuru is deserving of all the blessings he has now – and more. This kid is Special AND BLESSED. He has a good head on his shoulders, and his heart is in the right place. I believe in him, in his family, and in his team. I wish for him a speedy recovery, all the good karma there is, and all the happiness and inner peace that he so rightly deserves.

And to all of us satellites – if he can get through this (and he will), so can we. Cheers! :grouphug: