Eclair

Japanese cuisine

So I was looking for a good matcha tea and discovered, that there is no real 'Japanese food' thread here, so I thought I would open one. 

What are your favorite Japanese dishes and snacks? Drinks? What would like to to try once? 

Mine are:  

- Sushi! (that's a given) LOOOOOOVE good sushi! 

- and I also like Okonomyaki 

- sometimes I enjoy taro mochi's, but it's very sweet so I can't eat much of it at once

- and I have started drinking matcha tea pretty often, although sometimes I allow myself a glass of calpis then and now :loveeyes:

What I want to try some day: 

- Takoyaki 

- Some authentic chicken or salmon teriyaki 

what about you? 

My absolute favorite used to be Gyoza (still haven't found a good vegan replacement) and Ramen.

I also really love those ice cream mochi thingies (I don't remember what they're called but you can get them at every Lawson and they're delicious)

Feels blasphemous to say but I never really liked sushi much :runaway:

6 minutes ago, axelnojutsu said:

My absolute favorite used to be Gyoza (still haven't found a good vegan replacement) and Ramen.

I also really love those ice cream mochi thingies (I don't remember what they're called but you can get them at every Lawson and they're delicious)

Feels blasphemous to say but I never really liked sushi much :runaway:

Did you like smoked salmon on top of your bread when weren't vegan? Because if you did, then I can assure you that you'd have loved sushi:loveeyes:

I eat mostly vegetarian (exceptions are made on Christmas or when I'm being invited) but sushi and fish dishes are the only 'meats' that I miss the most and still eat about twice a month ... :shrug:

2 minutes ago, Eclair said:

Did you like smoked salmon on top of your bread when weren't vegan? Because if you did, then I can assure you that you'd have loved sushi:loveeyes:

I eat mostly vegetarian (exceptions are made on Christmas or when I'm being invited) but sushi and fish dishes are the only 'meats' that I miss the most and still eat about twice a month ... :shrug:

Also never liked fish a lot (although salmon was okay), might've been a factor in me not warming to sushi :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:

And it's not that I never tried it, I did, I didn't hate it I just never got the hype

6 minutes ago, axelnojutsu said:

Also never liked fish a lot (although salmon was okay), might've been a factor in me not warming to sushi :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:

And it's not that I never tried it, I did, I didn't hate it I just never got the hype

okay, if you don't like fish in general, I guess sushi is not for you then :yucky::lol: but for me, some good sushi (not the all-you can eat ones or even worse the self-made ones :rofl3:), is one of the yummiest food I know :loveeyes:  what are your favourite dishes then?

favourites:

food:

-okonomiyaki

-modanyaki

-udon (particularly kitsune udon)

-taiyaki/oobanyaki/imagawayaki whatever name you call it ( preferably anko or sweet potato filling)

-japanese crepe (I know crêpe are french but the toppings etc)

-chahan

-yakisoba/yakiudon

-gyudon

drinks:

-tea (matcha, genmaicha, gyokuro, kukicha, houjicha, sobacha)

-lemon sour/ lemon chuhai

-calpis

things I'd like to try:

-kaiseki ryori

-kobe/matsuzaka/hida beef

-I'd someday like to do a sake testing to find out which brand+ type I like most

Oooooooooh a thread for favorite Japanese food! Here goes mine :party0021:

Food:

Sushi (favorite fish tuna and salmon standard :p though I like shrimp and other fishes available to me as well

Ramen (usually with miso)

Udon

Takoyaki

Okonomiyaki

Yakisoba

Japanese curry (I prefer it more with udon though)

Tempura

Gyudon

Miso soup

Boiled edamame (....yeah, as simple as that :P )

Drink

Matcha-flavored everything okay not exactly everything but usually stuff like matcha latte.... :runaway:

Food I'd like to try

Different types of nabe

Gyutan (yakiniku :9 )

Zunda everything :P (esp. zunda mochi)

Many types of wagyu :P

.... I guess that's all for now.......

Japanese food is basically my staple cuisine (along with many other types of Asian food, incl Chinese, Vietnamese, Korean, Thai...) so I think like.....everything? :graucho: well I don't like all types of raw fish (but I really...love salmon LOL)

Ooooh :knc_yuzu1: I feel hungry already with this thread

Personal favorites:

- Chashu ramen

- Takoyaki

- Gyoza

- Katsudon 

- Yakisoba

I'd like to try taiyaki and all things mochi, particularly that red bean soup with mochi that I think is traditional for new year? And toasted mochi! And those soba noodles that are eaten cold and dipped in soy sauce and other sauces...and...and...*dies*

Sushi, sashimi- strangely I love raw fish, you could probably feed me fatty tuna and salmon sashimi anytime and I'd perk up instantly

Takoyaki

Tempura

Tonkatsu and Katsudon

Shabu-shabu: this feels similar to hotpot in China, and is amazing in winter

Anything tofu and edemame

Miso, and seaweed in general

Things I want to try:

Zunda- I'm not a fan of red bean paste so very very curious about this, is it different? I'm okay with the green bean paste in Chinese sweets though

Japanese traditional sweets, and non-traditional desserts- a lot of them just look amazing, and heard that sweets in general are not that sweet. So maybe won't kill myself in the process, since my tolerance for sweets is not very high

Kaiseki