Yatagarasu

[2018] GP NHK Trophy - Ladies SP & FS

both Alina and Rika are still so young, I wish they could be spared a bit of media circus:13877886:

selfishly thinking about predictions right now, and because Lz were called I fear I've lost a lot of points on the bonus questions too...NHK round might be my worse prediction to date....but it was worth it! Rika & Satoko! Liza raising again!:tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw:

but Mai!:tumblr_inline_n2pjd9Lx401qdlkyg:

3 hours ago, MeowZu said:

Am I the only one who found the 1st sentence a bit off?

Seriously this is bad. Why put two young girls against each other pubicly like that? And this sounds a bit negative towards Zagitova, like an attack.

Both girls have already enough pressure on their shoulders.

1 hour ago, LadyLou said:

both Alina and Rika are still so young, I wish they could be spared a bit of media circus:13877886:

selfishly thinking about predictions right now, and becuase Lz were called I fear I've lost a lot of points on the bonus questions too...NHK round might be my worse prediction to date....but it was worth it! Rika & Satoko! Liza raising again!:tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw:

but Mai!:tumblr_inline_n2pjd9Lx401qdlkyg:

In my post Helsinki haze I forgot to do any

No American lady likely to be in the mix so American media has to stir the pot between Russia and Japan 🙄

Wow, what a competition for girls! Another killer competition in Grenoble, I suppose. 

CoR is sorta meh, in comparison. 

Finally able to watch the top girls after being up early and going to work.

Rika was great. And, she's not just a jumper. Her spins are top notch, her steps, speed, interpretation.... it all looks very good. If she can just keep her head down and focus on her training and not the hype surrounding her, she should be on the podium wherever she goes. The media needs to celebrate this during the competition, but then let her be and let her continue working.

Mai was not her best. She's my favourite personality among the top J ladies. I really don't think her Fed cares much about her either, or they wouldn't put her here with their big star and their big hope. (part of me wonders if they think her arthritis might limit her at crucial times so don't make the best competition decisions for her...)  A couple spins were lv3, steps lvl3, she missed her 3ts and I thought she seemed a bit slower too. I love her smooth, feather like touch on the ice, but she really does have to add something in some obvious empty areas, like between the 3flip and the 2a/3t combo, which seems empty. I love this program for her, but I don't see that it's improved from last year... she has to work to make it more...

Liza: I think that turn out after her 3A cost her the silver. I love her jumps and while I am not a big fan of her spins, she hits the bullets and gets the marks. She has a program that is totally suited to her this year,  and is definitely riding that 3A wave because I wouldn't say her skating has improved overall, but it seems to be getting some judges love again.

Satoko: She is always so well packaged and gets the most out of her music with lots of expression. I like this tango for her, although I think I liked her sp more. Her jumps will never be great but she continues to get good GOEs for many of them so the judges still see her as a favourite for a medal wherever she goes.

Overall, this was a great competition. The level of women's skating is just going up, up and up.... and it's going to get harder at the very top, if they all skate well, to determine the winners...  I love that. The men's competition however.... well, not the best I ever did see...

Well, if I wasn't horribly sad already about not being able to go to Grenoble, I would be now. Already liked Rika in juniors, but this was just... :8232307:

11 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

Honestly, it's not luck, but careless assignments. (Or maybe there's a reason behind it?!) I just don't think JSF cares one bit about Mai.

I think it has something to do with the coaches and schools too. Mai’s coach is not as well connected as Mako’s or Rika’s. Coaches need to use their political power wisely to secure ideal assignments for their skaters. 

Did anyone find a broadcast of the ladies medal ceremony? NBC Sports Gold cut off the video feed right as it was about to start.