General Anime/Manga discussion thread

Forcefield

Welcome!

Want to talk about anime/manga, but don't want to create a new topic?

Have a random anime/manga question, thought, or opinion you want to share?

Want to rant about an anime/manga that is not popular enough to make it's own thread?

Like talking about and comparing multiple anime/manga at once?

Need a place to hurl because of a terrible anime/manga live adaptation?

Give recommendations, make your favorite top 10 lists, share amvs and videos, post your MAL, or just rant.

Anything goes, as long as it's related to anime and manga!

Some starter questions:

-What got you into anime? What was your first?

-If you stopped watching/reading, what got you back into it?

-Do you have a favorite genre?

-Who would you cast for your favorite character(s)?

1 hour ago, Forcefield said:

What got you into anime? What was your first?

Ranma 1/2 was my first anime exposure (that I can recall). 

If you stopped watching/reading, what got you back into it?

One Piece.

Do you have a favorite genre?

I like any genre but I'm drawn to more unique storylines.

make your favorite top 10 lists

Hmmm.... it changes all the time but here's my current favourites in no particular order: (mostly manga)

1. Natsume Yuujinchou

2. Fullmetal Alchemist

3. Eyeshield21

4. Gakuen Babysitters

5. HunterXHunter

6. Hell's Kitchen

7. D.Gray-man

8. Mushishi

9. Nodame Cantabile

10. Chihayafuru

18 hours ago, kaeryth said:

Ranma 1/2 was my first anime exposure (that I can recall). 

One Piece.

I like any genre but I'm drawn to more unique storylines.

Hmmm.... it changes all the time but here's my current favourites in no particular order: (mostly manga)

1. Natsume Yuujinchou

2. Fullmetal Alchemist

3. Eyeshield21

4. Gakuen Babysitters

5. HunterXHunter

6. Hell's Kitchen

7. D.Gray-man

8. Mushishi

9. Nodame Cantabile

10. Chihayafuru

I literally had to search up Ranma 1/2. I've heard of it before, but I don't know why I thought it was more recent. :P

Great favorites list! I'm surprised One Piece didn't make your list (it being the anime that got you back into it) since when it comes to shounen I feel like One Piece (and HxH) fans usually argue for it being the top of its genre.

18 hours ago, Deliverpooh said:

I got into anime because I was already playing Japanese RPGs.  So from there, I started watching anime as well. My first ones were Revolutionary Girl Utena (still one of the best, imo) and Escaflowne.

Thanks for making this topic, by the way :)

What Japanese RPGs do/did you play? I don't play games (although I want to, but I'm too bad at it :() but I'm always interested in the storylines.

This is the first time someone has brought up Escaflowne without me searching up for it. Even though it was mecha (which I only realized as an adult), I was sooooo invested in the romance as a kid. I claim it and Cardcaptor Sakura as the two animes (and Final Fantasy X's Tidus and Yuna) that made me aware of sweet romance and also how soul crushing it can be.

I literally had to search up Ranma 1/2. I've heard of it before, but I don't know why I thought it was more recent.

Probably exposing my age but yeah.. it's one of the 'old school' ones. Late 80's early 90's. The premise was just really unique (looking back it really hasn't held up well especially with gender issues/equality). Also, the panda and the pig were cute. :tumblr_inline_n2pje2YFXq1qdlkyg:

I'm surprised One Piece didn't make your list (it being the anime that got you back into it) since when it comes to shounen I feel like One Piece (and HxH) fans usually argue for it being the top of its genre.

I do still love One Piece and still follow the manga. The plot is still really entertaining and I would really love to know what the One Piece actually is (I'm in this for the long haul - almost 20 yrs!). But, character-wise, Oda has a lot of weaknesses especially in how he portrays women. I like HxH better but it's not jokingly called HiatusxHiatus for no reason.... :13877886:

I'm going to deviate here, but the very first manga that really got me into the manga/anime fandom was Yotsuba. Reminiscing about it and I still can't help but love these faces:

646bbc2abf8fc06b1450e5209460211812620806

I stopped b/c of overload in School and overall life, but finally decided to get back into it this summer by choosing something totally outside of my typical genre list as I usually HATE Slice of life or Comedy: The Life of Saiki K. Honestly I related to the main character on a whole other 20 levels lol. (Except for the powers part..)

-Do you have a favorite genre? Anything dark,  depressing, tragic, epic, and challenge kuo with a real story-line. I've come to accept that I'm a Masochist . Although always up for the occasional adventure/light hearted series.

My (current) fave list includes webtoons and manga since that is what I'm mostly interested in, but these are not in order since I'm fickle:

1) Bastard (Webtoon)[SOMEHOW ENCOMPASSES ALL OF MY FAVOURITE GENRES]

2) Code Geass (Anime)

3) Shinsekai Yori (Anime)

4) Hotarubi No Mori E (Anime)

5) Hunter x Hunter (Anime)

6) Gakuen Alice (Although it has the worst ending to end all endings, it's here for old times sake)

7) Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu (Anime)

8) Cowboy Beebop (Anime)

9)Saiki K. (Anime)

10) Tie between Baccano!, Durarara! and Psycho Pass (Anime)

I'm a manga freak, so I have to join this thread

What got you into anime? What was your first?

I think what got me into anime in the first place was the pretty looking characters and for me, my first would be Sailormoon from way way back in my early childhood.

Yup, of course! I read/watch HunterxHunter and I waited patiently when Togashi-sensei had to have hiatus due to his health. Right now I resume my reading while still waiting for Haikyuu to come back 

Do you have a favorite genre?

Not really.

Who would you cast for your favorite character(s)?

The one and only Killua Zoldyck.

As I don't have much free time to really enjoy reading/watching, here are my little current fave mangas/anime:

1. HunterxHunter

2. Shokugeki no Soma

3. One Punch Man

4. Haikyuu

22 hours ago, Deliverpooh said:

I got into anime because I was already playing Japanese RPGs.  So from there, I started watching anime as well. My first ones were Revolutionary Girl Utena (still one of the best, imo) and Escaflowne.

Thanks for making this topic, by the way :)

Jesus h christ Escaflowne is so good it makes me cry every time I re watch it.

I love anime and manga so bad. :tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw: I haven't made any friends that like anime and manga lately and I even embarrassed myself with some younger kids at my last office job trying to make some, so this thread makes me happy just by existing. I love everyone I have talked with here anyway, this only makes me love everyone more xD

So, let me just ssssssslide into the conversation, lol.

Some starter questions:

When I was a smol kid (5-6 years old) Saint Seiya and Dragon Ball were on the TV, my mom didn't let me watch because it was too violent for me xD but still watched it when she wasn't looking. Somehow it was so different from what I always saw on TV that it caught my eye way too much. Then there was Captain Tsubasa and I was playing football at the time with the school team so it was a blast to watch it, also fell in love with a few characters (that actually happens with any anime or manag I watch or read so yeah), then Sailor Moon started showing on TV and sbawñeibabfjkañkfjbasf I lost it and started drawing every character in my school notebooks...then yeah Ranma 1/2 and Dragon Ball Z of course, but so far it had been only what had been shown on TV. 

The first anime I watched that wasn't shown on TV and I had to make an effort and look for it (bought it bootlegged from some weirdos at a japanese restaurant because there was literally no way of finding it where I lived) was Evangelion, which is still one of my favorites and it made me realize for the first time that maybe all these cartoons weren't for kids only xD (I was 11 at the time, definitely not a good idea!). I also watched a few movies, particularly Vampire Hunter D and Battle Angel Alita (both on very blurry unsubbed VHS) which made me fall in love with the animation and well, pretty much made me obsess.

I never really stopped, but got stuck on re watching my favorites because I started going to uni and didn't have time to check what was new, until someone recommended Vampire Knight for me to read and oh well I've always been a sucker for that kind of stories so started paying more attention to new stuff!

-Do you have a favorite genre?

Yeah, definitely weird psychological stuff and magical girls is very very near the top (kinda like Flip Flappers or Madoka Magica), but I'm a sucker for josei stuff and anything vampire related too. Love a good historical or traditional drama too. And a good shonen can also make me obsessed quickly.

The favorite characters question is way too hard for me, so I'll say a few newer animes that I have liked lately...

Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju!!!! <3:tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw:<3

Kuragehime

Sangatsu no Lion

Mushishi

Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso

All LoveLive stuff

Yuri on Ice of course, lol

Nanatsu no Taizai

Boku no Hero Academia (though for the life of me I can't read the manga)

Shingeki no Kyojin

Shokugeki no Soma

and more! :rofl:

Allow me to shut up now. Love you all!

2 hours ago, mewana said:

I'm going to deviate here, but the very first manga that really got me into the manga/anime fandom was Yotsuba. Reminiscing about it and I still can't help but love these faces:

646bbc2abf8fc06b1450e5209460211812620806

I stopped b/c of overload in School and overall life, but finally decided to get back into it this summer by choosing something totally outside of my typical genre list as I usually HATE Slice of life or Comedy: The Life of Saiki K. Honestly I related to the main character on a whole other 20 levels lol. (Except for the powers part..)

-Do you have a favorite genre? Anything dark,  depressing, tragic, epic, and challenge kuo with a real story-line. I've come to accept that I'm a Masochist . Although always up for the occasional adventure/light hearted series.

My (current) fave list includes webtoons and manga since that is what I'm mostly interested in, but these are not in order since I'm fickle:

1) Bastard (Webtoon)[SOMEHOW ENCOMPASSES ALL OF MY FAVOURITE GENRES]

2) Code Geass (Anime)

3) Shinsekai Yori (Anime)

4) Hotarubi No Mori E (Anime)

5) Hunter x Hunter (Anime)

6) Gakuen Alice (Although it has the worst ending to end all endings, it's here for old times sake)

7) Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu (Anime)

8) Cowboy Beebop (Anime)

9)Saiki K. (Anime)

10) Tie between Baccano!, Durarara! and Psycho Pass (Anime)

7 and 8 are one of my most loved animes <3:tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw:

I also enjoy darkness and tragic stuff xD I feel you

4 hours ago, Forcefield said:

I literally had to search up Ranma 1/2. I've heard of it before, but I don't know why I thought it was more recent. :P

Great favorites list! I'm surprised One Piece didn't make your list (it being the anime that got you back into it) since when it comes to shounen I feel like One Piece (and HxH) fans usually argue for it being the top of its genre.

What Japanese RPGs do/did you play? I don't play games (although I want to, but I'm too bad at it :() but I'm always interested in the storylines.

This is the first time someone has brought up Escaflowne without me searching up for it. Even though it was mecha (which I only realized as an adult), I was sooooo invested in the romance as a kid. I claim it and Cardcaptor Sakura as the two animes (and Final Fantasy X's Tidus and Yuna) that made me aware of sweet romance and also how soul crushing it can be.

Yeah the age gap hurts xD I also saw Ranma in my youth and this kind of makes me go ouch! :rofl:

Also sorry I got excited and posted a million times. What the hell with Escaflowne! It was so beautiful and of course I had never seen romance like that before it. I also identify a lot with your comment on sakura and ffx :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:.

I love/hate the feeling of mutual love that can't be that is so abundant in japanese stuff. Like, let people be happy! Wait, no, keep making me cry! I like it! Wait, no! What?!

As a final comment today, it has (since I became a Yuzu fan) always been a dream of mine to see Yuzu do a program with Yoko Kanno music, who did the music for both Escaflowne AND Cowboy Bebop (and many more!) this lady is one of the most awesome composers I know of <3

Edit: I just found out she did the arrangement for Hana wa Saku and I feel silly!

Edit 2: What! She was born in Sendai and studied at Waseda! I pray to the gods they collaborate more in the future!

On 10/25/2018 at 9:08 AM, Forcefield said:

Q :

1. What got you into anime? What was your first?

2. If you stopped watching/reading, what got you back into it?

3. Do you have a favorite genre?

4. Who would you cast for your favorite character(s)?

5. make your favorite top 10 lists

A :

1. I don't remember, but I like to watch anime since my childhood. I don't know what's my first, but i remember some popular anime on my tv at that time such as Dragon ball,  Doraemon, Pokemon, digimon etc. (Old anime yeah😂

2. I'm still reading manga or manhwa, I just stopped watching anime for a while coz sometimes get lil bored but I'll go back sometimes to check if there are some interesting anime.

3. I love any genres. But since I became an adult I'm more into a serious genres like mystery, psychological, supernatural..  I do like fantasy. 

4. I can't pick my favorite. I have so many of them. 😂 well, for now when I'm thinking about it, the first character that showed in my mind first was Hikaru Shindo (from Hikaru no Go). 

5. It's quite hard. But I'll try. 

- Hikaru no Go (if you like to watch or read manga about serious sport like playing Go mixed with genre fantasy, not so much comedy but really touching story here between the main characters) 

- Power (sport again but this is about basket ball, more about romance tho, if you like comedy about Gender Bender and romance shoujo, you have to try this one. I have a lot of laugh reading it. 😂 I don't think they make it into anime, so reading only)

- Akatsuki no Yona (there's anime version and manga. But I think it's not finished yet? The manga is still on going so... Very recommend for you all who like fantasy romance, with a girl as the main character. She's Strong, beautiful not clingy and very determined. I like her character. And she has so many handsome guy around her, so yes HAREM!! ahahhahahahhaha) 

- Portrait of M & N / M to N no Shouzou (if you need to laugh and something funny, read this manga. 😂  It's  about the weird girl and guy. The girl is a Masochists and the guy is a Narcissist)

- Hot Blooded Woman (this is a Korean manga / manhwa. The story about a (strong) girl who swapped body with another (weak) girl because some incident. genre comedy fantasy. Lil bit bored in the middle but not bad. The story has been completed) 

- Death Note (I know you all must have known this manga/anime!!! If not... TRY IT NOW!! very recommended!) 

- Noblesse (Korean webtoon. The story is good. But it's really long and not yet finished. If you easily get bored and not into the fight scenes just skipped it. But not bad to try it. Maybe you'll like it. The art is gorgeous) 

- Erased (read manga/anime. If you like mystery and about time travel. Go watch it 👍

- Your Lie in April (if you need a touchy anime. Go watch it!! It's about a guy who plays a piano and a girl who plays violin)

- Spirited Away (sigh... I just love studio Ghibli) 

Just 10?? Uhmmmm well actually I have many moreeee but I don't need to mention popular anime like one piece, naruto, tokyo ghoul, SnK, food wars, kuroko, haikyuu etc. You must know it well and have watched it, right? 😁

Oh right now I'm following webtoon A Good Day to be a Dog , nice story. 😁 and funny. I do like horror anime but can't remember for now the titles..