Poll - Where do Planet Hanyu posters come from?

Moria Polonius

Wow, kinda surprised the Americas are third. Except not really, no one here knows anything about figure skating :cry:

i feel your pain ;; outside of my family - though they're all relatively casual watchers - i only know a couple of people that watch any figure skating whatsoever :crybaby:

one of my friends at uni watches competitions with me in class sometimes though. she loves yuzu as well~

Wow, kinda surprised the Americas are third. Except not really, no one here knows anything about figure skating :cry:

Actually, I think Americas... well, North America at least, is ahead of most of Europe when it comes to FS interest. The only European country who can tell an axel from a toeloop is Russia. It's just that I suspect most of American fans are more keen on their own skaters than Yuzuru, which would be quite natural. On the other hand, lots of European fans don't even have " their own" elite skater to be keen on. And I suppose Asia is just ahead in everything, :smile: [ / armchair analysis of fandom tendencies] :laugh:

Hello! I'm from Eastern Europe, Romania! I suppose I'm the only romanian here !

You can scroll down the members list and check if there are other people from Romania. But there are not too many members who add a location to their profiles.

Besides one member I know, by scrolling down the list I found another member from Hungary, so there are already at least three of us :pbow:

You're not the only one! And there might be more lurkers (I was a 100% lurker on GS, and there are around 30 people from our country in the international fangroup on Facebook, so there are at least some potentials). Also, now with the Olympics coming and with finally having a decent ice rink in our capital :yay: the number can only go up!

You're not the only one! And there might be more lurkers (I was a 100% lurker on GS, and there are around 30 people from our country in the international fangroup on Facebook, so there are at least some potentials). Also, now with the Olympics coming and with finally having a decent ice rink in our capital :yay: the number can only go up!

Wow, I'm so glad to see another romanian in here!! I've came from GS, too, I was a semi-lurker at the beginning not posting so often, but I became more active later because after Boston, last year, I felt the need to talk with ppl who understood me, my family and friends are not into FS so much. See you around! :pbow:

Actually, I think Americas... well, North America at least, is ahead of most of Europe when it comes to FS interest. The only European country who can tell an axel from a toeloop is Russia. It's just that I suspect most of American fans are more keen on their own skaters than Yuzuru, which would be quite natural. On the other hand, lots of European fans don't even have " their own" elite skater to be keen on. And I suppose Asia is just ahead in everything, :smile: [ / armchair analysis of fandom tendencies] :laugh:

Yeah, I live in Washington, DC area and we hosted a Worlds in 2003. It was the first one I ever attended. While popularity is in a slump now, there is still a dedicated fanbase (dedicated enough to pay Worlds level prices for Nationals :crazy: ). It's true that Americans prefer to watch Americans doing well. And there's a history of great champions here, so that's understandable. Japan likes to watch their own doing well too. That's why you see the arenas packed with them for singles, but hardly as much for pairs and ice dance. At least that was my Helsinki experience. Heck, tons of Russians left the arena when Plushenko withdrew in Sochi (Plush is one of my faves but I would have gladly taken someone's ticket). But here, in the US people are generally more fair weather and decide that the Olympics is when it's interesting, which is why NBC gets to dictate the skating schedule in PyeongChang. Also, it's not considered the manliest sport here, so there's not as much love for male skaters that aren't Scott Hamilton and Brian Boitano. Nate Chen is the only one to give us something to talk about in a long long time. But generally, it's most preferred when we have a good lady that's winning and is marketable, and that hasn't happened in a good while (they really wanted Gracie to be that person).

But me, I like skating too much to limit my support to only US skaters (and that's why I wouldn't choose to attend a Nationals that wasn't nearby; most of my faves are not American). Sometimes I feel a little unpatriotic for cheering someone from another country over my own, but the heart wants what it wants. It's the skater that moves me, not their country :s_dunno

I am from Tunisia, North Africa, don't know any other hanyu fans in my country, winter sports are far from being a major interest, I wish I knew some fans here :cry:

Hanyu has a huge number of fans outside japan, it always annoys me a little bit when commentators reduce his fan base to japan

I am from Tunisia, North Africa, don't know any other hanyu fans in my country, winter sports are far from being a major interest, I wish I knew some fans here :cry:

Hanyu has a huge number of fans outside japan, it always annoys me a little bit when commentators reduce his fan base to japan

This is so true :goe:

novalisa said:

Hi novalisa, welcome to the forum! It's amazing to see fans from all parts of the world, I wish commentators would acknowledge that as well. Even if you may not know any fans in your country, under this forum, we are all one big community. :space:

I'm from California. With Yuzuru's popularity, I wouldn't be surprised if he is the most popular men's skater even among Americans. Meaning, he has more fans than the US guys.

Someone needs to inform the commentators that Yuzuru has a huge fanbase worldwide. And that all the Asians at competitions holding a Japanese flag aren't from Japan!