Favourite program of Yuzur Hanyu (choosing up to 3)  

473 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

How can Vertigo have more votes than Etude, how? :cry: poor Etude, always so underrated. It was the first Yuzu program I saw, and it was love at first sight, so voting for that was of course a no brainer <3

Etude is indeed underrated. It definitely deserves more votes than Vertigo! The drama of the music and the choreography really suited Yuzu at that age (Nanami knew how to choreograph to his strengths) and this is one of my favorite costumes of his. It's one of those programs that I enjoy very much but which I don't love as much as the others because I prefer the music of his other programs.

I just watched his 2011 COR and GPF performances of Etude and I am again equal parts pitying and laughing at those who critiqued his posture in his older performances. How sad that they cannot appreciate the articulation of his torso, how he uses contraction and release to add drama to his upper body movement to match the music. He uses this bending forwards and backwards over his core to emphasize the extension of his arms to skate very big consuming the space around him one moment and then very small and light the next transforming forcefulness into delicacy. This kind of movement with variety in space and weight with flow centered around a strong core- the limbs, upper torso and head moving as satellites in many trajectories around the center- this is the aesthetic of modern/contemporary dance.

I love Requiem so much it pains me that it couldn't have a chance to me more popular, given the circumstances that Yuzu last skated it :cry: :cry:

Another program I enjoy very much and could have really loved but for one section right before the hydroblade where I thought the choreography was a bit repetitive and empty (sorry Mr. Miyamoto but how many turns with arms in ballet 4th do you want him to do!).

His Boston performance of Requiem was IMO, his best showcase of his musicality thus far because he was so emotionally invested in it that he improvised many of the details in the latter part of his performance. And his improv was so much more beautiful and moving than the actual choreography from previous performances :crybaby:

^^^ i love requiem so so much too! I would say its my second favourite program of all time behind hana ni nare, which apparent isn't popular :cry: but i also love phantom and r&j 1.0. i mean, his r&j 1.0 ex performance at worlds 2014 was the one that got me into this fandom. :smile: :laugh: i couldn't stop watching it. i remember clicking replay over and over. and then after that it was phantom. I rmb watching phantom at least once a day for a month, the gpf version. and now hope and legacy....i can't even not cry when i watch that

^^^ i love requiem so so much too! I would say its my second favourite program of all time behind hana ni nare, which apparent isn't popular :cry: but i also love phantom and r&j 1.0. i mean, his r&j 1.0 ex performance at worlds 2014 was the one that got me into this fandom. :smile: :laugh: i couldn't stop watching it. i remember clicking replay over and over. and then after that it was phantom. I rmb watching phantom at least once a day for a month, the gpf version. and now hope and legacy....i can't even not cry when i watch that

Well, Hana Ni Nare got only 1 vote less than Requiem :P I agree, Requiem is so good, it might be my favorite Yuzu program, if only there weren't so many other amazing yuzu programs. Actually I wrote about my favorite programs ever ^^

BTW I LOVE YOUR AVATAR.

yuzuangel said:
HanaYamamoto said:

Well, Hana Ni Nare got only 1 vote less than Requiem :P I agree, Requiem is so good, it might be my favorite Yuzu program, if only there weren't so many other amazing yuzu programs. Actually I wrote about my favorite programs ever ^^

BTW I LOVE YOUR AVATAR.

yuzuangel, I loved reading your thoughts on all those programs! Boston's Requiem really was something special. I remember writing just after the FS and the fan thread had become immersed in anger, sadness, confusion, that perhaps the Requiem he had yet to perform would help to heal both himself and the fans as well. It's a program that reminds us that there's more to competitions than winning or losing, there's more to figure skating than competitions. It's a program about suffering, pain, but also hope, and life.

I'm not sure if you've seen it, but our very own alia jackson has a version slowed down to 60%.

The effects on the audio are like a slow submersion into a deep, calm water. It's remarkable in his sheer musicality (watch out for the timing on the 3Lo, the 3A, and the arm movements on his flying camel spin right after) but also offers a brilliant and haunting perspective on this sublime program.

BTW I LOVE YOUR AVATAR.

yuzuangel, I loved reading your thoughts on all those programs! Boston's Requiem really was something special. I remember writing just after the FS and the fan thread had become immersed in anger, sadness, confusion, that perhaps the Requiem he had yet to perform would help to heal both himself and the fans as well. It's a program that reminds us that there's more to competitions than winning or losing, there's more to figure skating than competitions. It's a program about suffering, pain, but also hope, and life.

I'm not sure if you've seen it, but our very own alia jackson has a version slowed down to 60%.

The effects on the audio are like a slow submersion into a deep, calm water. It's remarkable in his sheer musicality (watch out for the timing on the 3Lo, the 3A, and the arm movements on his flying camel spin right after) but also offers a brilliant and haunting perspective on this sublime program.

thank you! i love writing about figure skating :D

and i'm not really emotionally stable enough right now to rewatch requiem, but i will put it on my list for next time :)

How can Vertigo have more votes than Etude, how? :cry: poor Etude, always so underrated. It was the first Yuzu program I saw, and it was love at first sight, so voting for that was of course a no brainer <3

Etude is indeed underrated. It definitely deserves more votes than Vertigo! The drama of the music and the choreography really suited Yuzu at that age (Nanami knew how to choreograph to his strengths) and this is one of my favorite costumes of his. It's one of those programs that I enjoy very much but which I don't love as much as the others because I prefer the music of his other programs.

I just watched his 2011 COR and GPF performances of Etude and I am again equal parts pitying and laughing at those who critiqued his posture in his older performances. How sad that they cannot appreciate the articulation of his torso, how he uses contraction and release to add drama to his upper body movement to match the music. He uses this bending forwards and backwards over his core to emphasize the extension of his arms to skate very big consuming the space around him one moment and then very small and light the next transforming forcefulness into delicacy. This kind of movement with variety in space and weight with flow centered around a strong core- the limbs, upper torso and head moving as satellites in many trajectories around the center- this is the aesthetic of modern/contemporary dance.

I love Requiem so much it pains me that it couldn't have a chance to me more popular, given the circumstances that Yuzu last skated it :cry: :cry:

Another program I enjoy very much and could have really loved but for one section right before the hydroblade where I thought the choreography was a bit repetitive and empty (sorry Mr. Miyamoto but how many turns with arms in ballet 4th do you want him to do!).

His Boston performance of Requiem was IMO, his best showcase of his musicality thus far because he was so emotionally invested in it that he improvised many of the details in the latter part of his performance. And his improv was so much more beautiful and moving than the actual choreography from previous performances :crybaby:

:thumbup: :goe: :clap: to your opinion about Etude. (though I didn’t voted for it)

I’m jealous of you for having seen this program live! Now he is much stronger and polished than those days, but I still love many of his performances in that season.

GDI, only three votes... :ohno:

Sorry Seimei, but H&L was the first FS I waited for, lurked on streams, and prayed for all the jumps... your BF Chopin gets a voice tho!

I had to give R&J 1 a vote, too, it's just lovely, nd I kind of feel that giving a LP a vote is like giving half a point for SP, too (sorry Etude, but you aren't my centre of focus, although You were one of the 'change his weaknessess into strenghts' masterpieces by Nanami-sensei).

I chose mine as if I they were the only 3 programs of his I would ever be able to watch again, so PW was #1. To me that was as perfect as he could ever get, so I could be happy with just that one. After that it was seimei and RJ1 (this just because it was baby yuzu on fire saying hello to the world, not the choreography). If I could choose 4-5 it would be LGC and Notte stellata. I usually don't like his other exhibition numbers that much.

:thumbup: :goe: :clap: to your opinion about Etude. (though I didn’t voted for it)

I’m jealous of you for having seen this program live! Now he is much stronger and polished than those days, but I still love many of his performances in that season.

Sorry if what I wrote was misleading but I wasn't so fortunate as to see those Etude performances live. :cry: I only meant I watched them on Youtube about 5 minutes before writing my commentary on them. :smile:

Yes, he's much stronger and polished now- better skating skills, more graceful fingers, softer elbows and arms, more refinement and variety in the dynamics of his movements- but there's nothing wrong with his "posture" in Etude, nothing at all. :yes:

BTW I LOVE YOUR AVATAR.

Thank you :space: and thanks for sharing! That was really interesting to read especially since Yuna and Yuzuru are both two of my favourite skaters of all time. I agree about r&j 1.0. It's just special because it is. There's just no way to explain how beautiful that program is. And parisienne walkways and phantom will always have a special place in my heart :crybaby: (ngl yuzuru is the perfect phantom and romeo :embSwan: )

My special wish : for yuzu to bring back either hana ni bare or requiem as a final ex when he r****s. no doubt i will be crying for 3 decades straight when that happens but if he skates to either of those programs, I'm not gonna be able to stop crying.

I chose H&L and Notte Stellata but it was very difficult to choose only two!

I'd say I like most of his programs and I'd divide them into 2 groups:

a) love it: H&L, Notte Stellata, Seimei, RJ1, Chopin, LGC, POTO, Requiem, Hana ni nare, Etude

b) like it: PW, RJ2, White Legend, Story, Believe, Hana wa saku, NDP, Change

Those I didn't mention are still good IMHO but I don't rewatch them often.