Team we're fewer but still good!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest turquoiseblue

More skating for two-time Olympian Michael Christian Martinez

"After the qualifying round, I switched to bodybuilding so I had no idea. I was setting my life up like getting a job – basically a normal life," said Martinez.

"I was polishing everything. I was practicing really hard, more hours, trying to get my jumps back. Usually it takes two to 3 months for a skater to get back the triple jump but it took me two and a half weeks to perform really good,"

"At the first practice I felt very happy [honestly], but at the same time I felt sad because I know [that] I was practicing side by side with all the top skaters here and being out there and seeing them do the things that I'm able to do [easily] before, I wasn't able to do it in my practices,"

Despite falling to the bottom 3 of the competition, his two-and-a-half-week effort earned him praise from his other competitors, including gold medalist Yuzuru Hanyu from Japan, who has heard of Martinez' late qualification to the Olympic games.

"Yuzuru Hanyu, the two-time Olympic champion now, was actually very very happy to see me back on the ice because he heard about me that I wasn’t able to skate. That made me like ‘whoa’," exclaimed Martinez.

The Muntinlupa native will now take a short break from the ice before planning out his next stint with coach Slava Zagor. Martinez still has yet to achieve the challenge he set up for himself: land a perfect quad.

"After I take a break, when I get back on the ice, I will just take it from there. It's one of my goals. I just don't want to end it without just doing my quads."