Team we're fewer but still good!

Guest turquoiseblue

Misha Ge: I think this is my last season

I think this is my last season (as an athlete). I’ll tell you this: to stay I declined 37 shows in ten countries around the world, several ice projects, many choreographing works and other offers. My goal is to take part in one more season, to skate from my heart and try to bring art to people.

After the World Championships, I thought I would quit skating. But we had a meeting in the Olympic Committee of Uzbekistan, and I decided to stay. One of the reasons is that we are building a new skating rink in Uzbekistan, we has been waiting for it for 20 years. And I try to help to popularize figure skating in our country.

Guest turquoiseblue

Julian Yee Shares His Struggles From Skating At The Local Ice Rink To Qualifying For The 2018 Winter Olympics

“When I entered competitions, we were often looked down by other competitors since Malaysia isn’t well known in the figure skating world. It was a rough journey to get people to notice that our country actually has potential in this sport.”

Julian pointed out that it in the early stages, he learnt about the sport through a lot of trial and error.

“Malaysia is fairly new to this sport (figure skating) therefore there’s not much people with expertise in this field. I made many mistakes throughout the learning process, which ended up costing more time and money.”

“I have been training for short stints in China, South Korea, and Canada as I cannot afford proper long-term training,” he said.

This has prompted him to set up his own GoFundMe account where he aims to raise about CAD60,000 (RM 202,974.79).

Is the government doing anything to help our Olympic skater?

Well according to Julian, this particular sport is still developing in Malaysia and is unknown to many. "Since it’s not a core sport in the country, I do not receive sufficient funds from the authorities. One of my aims is to promote the sport and put my country on the Figure Skating map.”

In order to give a world-class performance at the Winter Olympics, Julian needs to be in tip top shape and receive the best training.

So, if you’d like to help Julian to realise his dream, you can donate here.

“I really do hope that in the future, I would be able to give back to this sport in Malaysia and even South East Asia. I want to share my knowledge and help guide the future generations and teach them a quicker path to success so that they don’t have to make the same mistakes I did while learning.”

On 3.10.2017 at 11:58 PM, sallycinnamon said:

Chafik Besseghier is hospitalized with collapsed lung. The article says that he may undergo surgery this week. His participation at Skate Canada is uncertain.

I wish him a speedy recovery!

Source: http://www.ledauphine.com/sport/2017/10/03/besseghier-le-coup-dur

So it seems like chafik is not going to be in canada. Paul Fentz is going to be there.found this on his facebook.

Regarding the Misha Ge interview:

While I'm glad that Misha is staying for the Olympic season, what I found really heartwarming was the information just how much stuff Misha had to decline in order to be able to compete. Or rather the fact how in demand he is as a show skater and a choreographer. Some people have the quads and some people have the "it" and either can carry them far! I don't think when Misha will be leaving competitive sport, he'll have any reason to feel unfulfilled because it's clear how the skating world appreciates him. :smile: