Team we're fewer but still good!

Loena Hendrickx teaches Average Rob how to skate (in a teensy weensy dress :lol:)

https://www.humo.be/humor/average-rob-leert-kunstschaatsen-van-loena-hendrickx-in-een-iets-te-krap-jurkje

It's a Youtube video from Humo (Belgian weekly magazine), featuring Average Rob and his brother Arno The Kid, usually learning various things (including Olympic sports :lol:) in two hours. This time they learn how to skate with Loena — see for yourself how well they do :lol::smiley-laughing021::rofl:

• 2 weeks later...

Loena Hendrickx and other Belgian winter athletes (Bart Swings and Hanne Desmet) receive their Olympic prize from the Belgian Olympic Committee for their achievement in the Winter Olympics.

https://www.hln.be/winterspelen/in-totaal-118-750-euro-swings-desmet-en-hendrickx-ontvangen-premie-voor-prestaties-winterspelen~a915d418/

Financially supported by the Nationale Loterij, the committee rewards athletes who place on 8th or higher place in their discipline. Gold medallist receives €50.000 (Bart Swings won gold in mass start in speed skating), silver medallist receives €30.000, bronze €20.000 (Hanne Desmet won bronze in 1000m shorttrack speed skating), fourth place €10.000, fifth to eight place receives €5000 (Loena placed 8th in the women's single FS event). The coaches also receive 25% of the amount their athletes receive, so in total the committee gave the athletes €118.750 for Olympic prize.

From posts relating to ACL 2017 and 2018, some satellites became rather fond of the on ice antics of a skater dubbed the Pumpkin King.

Harry Mattick has gone into Pairs now. He is featured in a BBC iPlayer has documentary series about Figure Skating in UK, 'Skating on the Edge' Series 1, 'Back on Thin Ice' Series 2. Good watch and available for a few more months. It is a shame that there is little interest in the sport from UK point of view, athletes have to self fund mostly.

I wonder how Team GB would have treated someone with talent like Yuzuru, I would hope that he would have attracted a fiercely loyal fanbase a bit like the Barmy Army (who follow England Cricket team) to counteract bullying antis and British Ice Skating would have offered whole hearted support

On 6/2/2022 at 9:12 AM, rockstaryuzu said:

Just stumbled across this. I didn't know Indonesia had any skating to speak of, but this little girl isn't bad! 

There have been a few junior skaters from Indonesia for a little while :grin:, first time I was aware of them was when I saw a few in JGP series in 2018-19 season I think? :scratch3:

Lord knows how funding is Hard for these kids (let alone the ice time and coaching, etc.), but I hope they keep going as long as they wish :heartpound::smiley-angelic001::smiley-angelic001::smiley-angelic001:

Also, PS:

Spoiler

Come to think of it, it's interesting to note that Indonesia became an ISU member earlier than Portugal (which I think only became a member this 21-22 season?). IDK I just find it interesting :lol:

Guest turquoiseblue

The governor of Luhansk oblast in eastern Ukraine tweeted about the destroyed Ice Palace in Severodonetsk :tumblr_m7etfqA8wS1qb1380:

FU1q9KEWYAoiv0D?format=jpg&name=900x900

FU1q9KEXoAAq3FB?format=jpg&name=small

:grouphug:

• 2 weeks later...