Team we're fewer but still good!

Guest turquoiseblue

Lindsay van Zundert has tested positive for Covid-19 and has withdrawn from Golden Spin of Zagreb :(

Kunstrijdster Lindsay van Zundert mist Zagreb vanwege positieve coronatest

Google translate

Figure fighter Lindsay van Zundert, who qualified for the Beijing Olympics, has tested positive for corona. As a result, the 16-year-old skater from Etten-Leur has been quarantined at home for five days since yesterday. She has to forgo participating in the Golden Spin in Zagreb, an international competition to be held from December 10-12.

"It's a shame," Lindsay says. "The last few weeks I have worked hard to master my freestyle even better. I would have loved to ride it at the Golden Spin, but that's not possible now. That sucks, especially because I don't feel sick or anything. But alas, nothing can be done about it…"

Van Zundert struggled with minor complaints at the beginning of this week. However, a first (antigen) test, on both herself and the people in her immediate environment, was negative. Because she also experienced some loss of smell and taste, it was decided in consultation with the KNSB to have a PCR test taken after all. The results came in last night: positive.

Because she now has to quarantine at home, Van Zundert will miss some ice training sessions. "Luckily I can use Grandma's room at home to do my off-ice exercises," she says. "So if I continue to feel good, I don't even have to miss that many training sessions."

Now that the Golden Spin in Zagreb has to be removed from her program, the European Championship in Tallinn is the next competition in which Lindsay will be on the ice. That European Championship will be held in the Estonian capital from January 10 to 16. It is now the first and also the last strength test before the Brabant girl will travel to Beijing.

The Games will be held from 4 to 20 February and the women's figure skating is scheduled for February 15 (short freestyle) and February 17 (free freestyle). Van Zundert: "I have circled those two dates in red in my calendar. That is a dream come true and this corona doesn't change that at all, really."

Wishing her a full and speedy recovery :smiley-angelic001: 

Hungarian ID team Yanovksaya/Lukacs have split after they couldn't qualify a spot for Hungary at the Nebelhorn Trophy. He will probably retire but she would like to continue competing for Hungary.

https://magyarnemzet.hu/sport/2021/12/hoffmann-nora-most-mar-masok-almait-valositana-meg-a-jegen

Julia Láng has reportedly left her long time coaches and she trains with Julia Sebestyen's group now. I'm not sure if she'll continue to train with Davydov's group on and off...she has also been injured so I wonder about her current form which we'll see at 4 Nationals later this month.

Ivett has retired, sadly the last few years she wasn't that successful as her potencial showed back in 2016-2017. She had quite a unique style, I will miss her. That AC/SC short program in the Olympic season was memorable. 

Mark and Julia are doing quite well in pairs, though. They got two invitations in the GP Series and they did well. A few years ago I wouldn't have thought we'd qualify a pair for Olympics, and not a lady skater. Good luck for them at the Olympics!

22 hours ago, sallycinnamon said:

Hungarian ID team Yanovksaya/Lukacs have split after they couldn't qualify a spot for Hungary at the Nebelhorn Trophy. He will probably retire but she would like to continue competing for Hungary.

https://magyarnemzet.hu/sport/2021/12/hoffmann-nora-most-mar-masok-almait-valositana-meg-a-jegen

Julia Láng has reportedly left her long time coaches and she trains with Julia Sebestyen's group now. I'm not sure if she'll continue to train with Davydov's group on and off...she has also been injured so I wonder about her current form which we'll see at 4 Nationals later this month.

Ivett has retired, sadly the last few years she wasn't that successful as her potencial showed back in 2016-2017. She had quite a unique style, I will miss her. That AC/SC short program in the Olympic season was memorable. 

Mark and Julia are doing quite well in pairs, though. They got two invitations in the GP Series and they did well. A few years ago I wouldn't have thought we'd qualify a pair for Olympics, and not a lady skater. Good luck for them at the Olympics!

Wow that’s crazy considering Monaghan/Fourati also announced their split a few months ago.

Guest turquoiseblue

Morisi Kvitelashvili: “I jump toe loop and salchow in a way I learned in childhood. Well on replays it’s noticeable that I lift my foot a little. Take a closer look, please.”

But you can’t do the same thing every day. Training in Eteri Tutberidze’s group is probably changing somehow.

Morisi Kvitelashvili: We mainly try to work on quality and complete run-through. We simulate situations like in a competition.

How?

Morisi Kvitelashvili: For example, we make a draw (of starting numbers). All together – girls and boys. We draw six numbers and perform according to them.

And the last skater is waiting for his turn for 40 minutes?

Morisi Kvitelashvili: Not always. Depends on how long the discussion with the coaches lasts (laughs).

Well, that is, the one who got the last number just glides alongside? Or is everything just like in a competition? Does he take off his skates and runs in sneakers, warming up?

Morisi Kvitelashvili: In sneakers, like in a competition. Effect of real presence in the competitive atmosphere. Sometimes I had time to lie down after the gym. We spend all day in training, and sometimes you have such a condition that every part of your body is tired, you cannot do anything. And you also have a run-through ahead… After a six-minute warm-up, you have time to take a nap a little, then warm up, and after that, you skate.

Are you given scores during these training skates?

Morisi Kvitelashvili: Scores – no. But then the coaches make the protocol. Eteri Georgievna evaluates how well did you make each element – “+1”, “+3”, “-2”, “0”. They count the rotations. And then all this is discussed in detail.

Well, then let’s move from pleasure to tricky questions. Many people wonder why your salchow and toeloop are so similar?

Morisi Kvitelashvili: You know I jump them in a way I learned in childhood. It is difficult to change technique in adulthood. All the same, the old one will show up, which was learned a long time ago.

Have you tried to change the technique of these jumps?

Morisi Kvitelashvili: I tried, long time ago. But it turns out as it turns out.

But okay, on replays they still can see which kind of jump you have.

Morisi Kvitelashvili: Well, yes. It’s also noticeable that I lift my foot a little (laughs). Take a closer look, please.