Team we're fewer but still good!

I hope MCM gets better soon, I wish him a fast recovery!!

Loena announced on her IG a few days ago that she parted ways with her long-time coach and now she will be coached by her brother Jorik and choreographer Adam Solya.

I was a bit surprised by the news because there isn't much time left until the Olympics, and it seems the split was amicable. She was in such great form at Worlds last season, hope she can maintain this form this season with the new team she is working with.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CSuLEuuIVe5/

• 2 weeks later...

Elizabet Tursynbaeva has announced her retirement from competitive skating.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CUDUOvao0F1/

Translation of her message:

Dear fans,
I decided to end my career as a professional athlete. It is not easy for me to share this news with you ...
Many of you know that my back has been bothering me for a long time. Unfortunately, I did not manage to overcome this injury to the end, and therefore full-fledged training became impossible.
For me, the completion of this chapter in my life means the beginning of a new one.
At the moment I am in Kazakhstan, and until the end of the year I will work here, helping children, inspiring them and sharing my experience with them. I have always wanted to develop figure skating in my country, and I finally got this opportunity.

I am infinitely grateful to my parents for everything they have done for me and continue to do.
Thanks to everyone who helped me become stronger and always supported me: the leadership of the Kyzylorda region, the National Olympic Committee, the Ministry of Sports and Culture.

I would also like to thank the entire coaching staff of Tutberidze: Eteri Georgievna, Sergey Viktorovich and Daniil Markovich for the work done with me, for the historical moments in my career, for faith in me, for the best programs.
I want to thank every coach I have ever worked with.
Now I have invaluable experience that I can share with the future generation.

My first start in the international arena was in 2011, exactly ten years have passed since this tournament, more than 50 international starts (Asian Games, Youth Olympic Games, World Winter Universiade, Championships of four continents, World Championships, Olympics and other international starts) and 39 medals of various denominations.

Sixteen years in big sports ... there was everything: the joys of the first victories, and despair, and injuries. But all these years you have always been there, my dear fans. Your wishes and sincere support inspired and inspired me, I felt that you, my people, needed me, and this gave me tremendous energy. Your faith in me and in the future will help me to reach new heights in various fields. 

Lilibet's announcement is far from unexpected, sadly. She had been having recurring back issues already when at TCC, before moving back to Eteri, and then a training regimen based on intensive repetitions and quad training certainly didn't made her back any healtier.

Iirc the last time she competed, in Shangai Throphy 2019, she was competing while still in severe pain :/ I'm glad she now won't be pressuring herself anymore into hard training for competitions. Back injuries can be so nasty and can really affect you long-term.

No matter what I think of her quad and her scores at WC19, she made history with that medal and that layout. I just hope that Lilibet can have a healthy fruitful life outside of competitions, I'm sure there's much she can do and will do for skating in Kazakhstan.:snonegai:

Snippets of Papadakis/Cizeron's new RD

https://www.instagram.com/p/CUU7QSnFL_s/
If deepL translation is accurate, they are using "Made to Love" and "You & I" by John Legend, and collaborated with Axelle Munezero, Kim Gingras, Samuel Chouinard, and Marie-France Dubreuil, in choreography, I guess? Also, it seems that they are going to announce the theme of their FD tomorrow.

*Thought about posting this on the program thread, but I am going to post it here first and wait for French-speaking satellites' confirmation

58 minutes ago, sweetwater said:

Snippets of Papadakis/Cizeron's new RD

https://www.instagram.com/p/CUU7QSnFL_s/
If deepL translation is accurate, they are using "Made to Love" and "You & I" by John Legend, and collaborated with Axelle Munezero, Kim Gingras, Samuel Chouinard, and Marie-France Dubreuil, in choreography, I guess? Also, it seems that they are going to announce the theme of their FD tomorrow.

*Thought about posting this on the program thread, but I am going to post it here first and wait for French-speaking satellites' confirmation

My French is not the best but it's enough to tell you that you are correct :) 

Also, they will be doing Whacking, a style that originated in LA in the 80s, to fulfill the requirement for hiphop this year. 

As for what exactly that is, I have no idea.

1 hour ago, Melodie said:

My French is not the best but it's enough to tell you that you are correct :) 

Also, they will be doing Whacking, a style that originated in LA in the 80s, to fulfill the requirement for hiphop this year. 

As for what exactly that is, I have no idea.

Thank you for your confirmation!:thanks:

As to Whacking, I found this video (*The title is "What is Waacking?" but it explains about Whacking as well)

Among the collaborators, I guess Axelle Munezero is the one that coached them on Whacking. She is a beautiful dancer.

19 minutes ago, sweetwater said:

Thank you for your confirmation!:thanks:

As to Whacking, I found this video (*The title is "What is Waacking?" but it explains about Whacking as well)

Among the collaborators, I guess Axelle Munezero is the one that coached them on Whacking. She is a beautiful dancer.

Those dance moves look interesting but I do wonder how P/C are going to translate those to ice dance movements. It seems like something that suits normal stage and should be viewed in close distance. Of course, the clips look good with support from OIP, but OIP = close distance so I don't really know...

A personal note, a lot of times I have seen FS programs with interesting movements but not suitable for FS, like they can't "fill" the stadium?

1 hour ago, Melodie said:

Those dance moves look interesting but I do wonder how P/C are going to translate those to ice dance movements. It seems like something that suits normal stage and should be viewed in close distance. Of course, the clips look good with support from OIP, but OIP = close distance so I don't really know...

A personal note, a lot of times I have seen FS programs with interesting movements but not suitable for FS, like they can't "fill" the stadium?

Good point. But compared to mimes and facial expressions, aren't ice dance moves easy to catch from a distance? I have seen some competitions sitting on a seat away from the ice, but I rarely felt frustrated missing small ice dance moves from above. Well, I had learned their programs in advance, and I also used binocular at the beginning of their programs, but when their movement fit the music well, I could see it. I mean, I could not see it as clearly as I saw it on TV, but I could catch it and feel it with the music. For example, P/C's Shape of You SD had many small hand choreography but was a super fun SD even seen from above. Fear/Gibson's Vogue is another example. In this case, even their mime was easy to get because you could hear the sound of the shutter when Lewis moved as if he was taking a photo of Lilah. I think small choreographic moves become problematic mainly when they don't correlate with the music/sound.