Team we're fewer but still good!

• 3 weeks later...

Donovan was being interviewed in a live stream on Instagram! A few highlights:

- He's aiming to add a quad for the SP for Beijing because his goal is to make the free

- The music they're considering for his new program (assuming the SP) is very different from anything he's done before. He didn't say what the music was, though

Then they let fans ask questions and I asked what his favorite jump is. His answer... 3A! Good taste, Donovan.

Interview with Julia about training at Sambo 70

Do you notice any differences in your training, especially on the ice, compared to your training here?

- At home, we are on the ice for about two to one and a half hours a day, but here it is ten times as intense. First we just do loops [an element of the old compulsory exercises] for five to ten minutes, then we do independent steps for fifteen minutes without stopping. In the first few days I was as tired as at home after a hard workout. Then we have to go through all the jumps in ten to fifteen minutes, and we have to do almost all of them in combinations, so I'm practicing combinations that I never did before. And at the end of the workout, we practice spins for ten to fifteen minutes. It's incredibly intense because you're basically going, jumping, going, jumping, and you only stop when the coach calls your name, and that's pretty rare. Sometimes I can spend up to 20 minutes on one task alone. It's the same here: if you get something right, they usually don't say anything, and if you get something wrong, they might fix it, but you usually have to find the solution on your own. So it's a very autonomous job, because there are a lot of us in a group.

Who are your teammates and which coaches are working with you?

- I coach with the small group, which is the 9-14 year olds. They are all already practicing quad jumps, some of them are just starting to learn them, but there are also some who already know them. It's hard to communicate because they don't really speak English and I don't know that much Russian yet, although I've been learning for a while. But I try, like they do in English, they are very nice. So far, we have been mainly dealt with by Georgy Pakhiluk and Artyem Punyin. Artyem and I focus mostly on jumps and he has started to improve my technique in the last couple of days. Since Eteri [Tutberidze] was constantly on the road [the team is touring the country with its own Champions on Ice tour], she came down for only one training session earlier and was more of an observer, and [Sergei] Dudakov just got back from Japan yesterday after the World Team Trophy. But at our training session tonight, all three head coaches were there, Tutberidze, Dudakov and Daniil Gleikhengauz, who had already coached us last week.

He is the team choreographer and has a number of winning programmes to his name. Was there any talk of him choreographing for you during your stay?

- It was just decided today that yes, we have already started the short program. Whether she will do just that or a choreography for me depends on how we can progress.

What is your main goal, what do you want to improve the most during these three weeks?

- My salchow has already started to be retrained. I might also practice a quad jump, as I have already tried it at home. I have a big desire to learn it, but whether we address it here depends on the coaches' insights. We are mainly working on getting me to jump all the triple-triple combinations. That's my main goal, to stabilize the triple-triple combinations and to jump everything with more momentum.

Full interview

• 2 weeks later...