Team we're fewer but still good!

There was a comment on instagram (from what seemed to be a burner account, so I take it with a big grain of salt) that her partner used to drop her on purpose and that's why she got the injuries that led to her retirement. I find that to be a troubling rumour, in that if it is true then the skating community here in Australia has swept it under the rug and we had a teenage girl come to live in another country to compete for us and let her get treated so badly, so far from home when she was really just a kid. If it isn't true, it's also especially problematic because Harley Windsor is Aboriginal, and God knows we don't need more false reports of things like violence adding to the racist, false characterization of Australia's Aboriginal people. 

Her passing is very sad. People will try to put it down to one thing or a reason, like having to retire due to her injuries (and that's exactly what comments on social media are attributing her death to), but in truth there was probably a lot more going on with her that we will never know about. 

15 minutes ago, memae said:

There was a comment on instagram (from what seemed to be a burner account, so I take it with a big grain of salt) that her partner used to drop her on purpose and that's why she got the injuries that led to her retirement. I find that to be a troubling rumour, in that if it is true then the skating community here in Australia has swept it under the rug and we had a teenage girl come to live in another country to compete for us and let her get treated so badly, so far from home when she was really just a kid. If it isn't true, it's also especially problematic because Harley Windsor is Aboriginal, and God knows we don't need more false reports of things like violence adding to the racist, false characterization of Australia's Aboriginal people. 

Her passing is very sad. People will try to put it down to one thing or a reason, like having to retire due to her injuries (and that's exactly what comments on social media are attributing her death to), but in truth there was probably a lot more going on with her that we will never know about. 

I think people need to be extra careful careful, because he is indigenous there would be in some quarters a tendency to try and find a way, even if totally untrue, to allocate blame or criticise him (racism towards the indigenous is a problem here, horrible as it may be). His own message yesterday sounded distraught.

Her poor mother has had to be hospitalised....

16 minutes ago, Figure_Frenzy said:

@memae I don't wanna look at that IG post but did it really refer to her recent partner (instead of the previous one, when she was still skating for Russia?). 

RIP Katya 🙏🙏🙏, and yeah, let's not further indulge in baseless rumors surrounding her condition...

The comment also mentioned some stuff like how the global skating community always goes on about 'evil Russian coaches' but never the 'good Australian'. So, I think they were referring to Harley Windsor. 

1 hour ago, TallyT said:

I think people need to be extra careful careful, because he is indigenous there would be in some quarters a tendency to try and find a way, even if totally untrue, to allocate blame or criticise him (racism towards the indigenous is a problem here, horrible as it may be). His own message yesterday sounded distraught.

Her poor mother has had to be hospitalised....

That was exactly my thinking too. 

Her poor mother. And poor Katya herself. This is all so very sad.

5 hours ago, memae said:

That's horrible, that someone would fling an accusation like that around on social media at a time like this. 

I read his Insta; he sounded, as you said, distraught. 

1 hour ago, FlyingCamel said:

She's really unstoppable <3 

Yeah, she'll have that mastered in no time. Wonder if she and Bruno are planning side-by-side 3As? Does Bruno have a 3A?

It'd be pretty crazy if they came back to competition to defend their Olympic gold in Beijing

3 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Yeah, she'll have that mastered in no time. Wonder if she and Bruno are planning side-by-side 3As? Does Bruno have a 3A?

It'd be pretty crazy if they came back to competition to defend their Olympic gold in Beijing

She gave a long and interesting interview for a German radio a month ago and when the interviewer asked if she was looking to the direction of a possible 6th Olympic participation, she clearly said yes (but now things depend on the virus).

I have so much respect for Aliona.