Team we're fewer but still good!

Ivett finished 21st at Europeans which is her worst placement in the last couple of years. Her aim was somewhere around Top 10. So the federation decided the placement at Challenge Cup will decide who will go to Worlds - Ivett or Julia Lang. Julia had to skip Nationals because of the flu so she couldn't fight for a spot at Europeans but she'll get another chance for Worlds. She doesn't have TES minimum now (she lost it after they raised the minimum), so she'll also need to reach that score. She'll also do Bavarian Open before Challenge Cup.

Here is my translation of few quotes from the interview with Katia Kurakowa, after her SP and  free skate at Euros. Some very interesting points about training in Canada with Brian in comparision to reality of training in Russia which she experienced previously.  Another source of very concerning fact about approach to weight control in Russian school of skating. 

After SP:

- It was a long way to get here. I am happy with the performance, my coaches are too. I was focused, I did everything I could. I'm at the European Championships, it's amazing!

- Music from SP is very important to me. At first I didn't understand it, but when I fell in love with it myself I understood the character and now it is probably my favorite program. Music for FP was chosen by B.Orser. It's slow, it's new to me - I usually skate to fast and lively melodies.

- The break from competing was very difficult for me. I moved to Canada, I was 15 and I was alone there for two months. I had to learn how to cook, do laundry, etc. I feel a special bond with B. Orser, he is like a parent to me and Medvedeva is like an older sister.

After FS:

- I am happy with my sktate. One major mistake in the last jump, but the program was good overall. I felt I skated better than yesterday. I felt good mentally and I will work even harder to prove that I am one of the best.

- Next for me will be Polish Junior Championship to qualify for the team at the Junior World Championships. I will also go to the World Championships for seniors. I know I have a problem with underrotations, so I have to work to jump higher. B. Orser was very happy with my performance, he saw how nervous I was before,  becuase it was my first European Championships.

- (About Orser as a coach) B.Orser never raises his voice, but he can whisper in such a way that it would be better if he screamed - not when you fall, but if you make some stupid mistake.

- In Russia we were weighed up to 40 times a day, so I was used to fear since I was 10. Now I take care of my diet and look after my weight by myself. In Canada nobody weighs us, I control it myself. Orser only once asked me about my weight - he said it was perfect and it would be good to keep it.

Source: 

https://twitter.com/AgaszkaMusial/status/1220741577938808832

https://twitter.com/AgaszkaMusial/status/1221166743806205962

11 minutes ago, airi said:

It's so funny and ridiculous that Katia has to go to Polish Junior Nationals, it's kind of like making Yuna go to Nationals all her career with zero  competition, disturbing her training in the process.

I know, I think the same, but I think they send her there for her PR in Poland as new representative in her first season after transfer. Obviously, she doesn't have to prove anything as a skater, considering the field we have. And we don't know how exactly works internal politics in polish fed (I would expect a mess :) ), so maybe it's necessaryIt's also good chance to get some local skating fans behind her (although, tbh, I don't think there will be a lot of people in the audience). 

On 1/24/2020 at 9:56 AM, sallycinnamon said:

They had no real chance for qualifying into the free dance, since their personal best score was six points lower than the cut off (which was 59) and they skated less than their PB. It was their first big ISU competition so that's fine.

Here a new interview with them from yesterday if you're interested, google translate is needed. https://www.bumm.sk/sport/2020/01/23/amerikabol-jottek-mesterseguk-cimere-jegtancos

That was a really cute interview haha. 

Italian Ice Dancers Tessari/Fioretti posted on their FB site that they are splitting which is quite unexpected.

They have finished 2nd at Italian Nationals behind Guignard/Fabbri and were 16th at Europeans just two weeks ago. Italy has two spots for Worlds in Ice Dance, so if Tessari/Fioretti aren't going to Worlds then only one couple remain who could get the chance, Roy/Pierantonio, a new pair who doesn't have any experience at senior level competitions yet. They're going to Egna Dance Trophy this week (Tessari/Fioretti is still on the entry list too...).

In other news, Dragon Trophy was held last week where Rodeghiero won, Lara Naki Gutmann got the silver and Dasa Grm finished bronze in the ladies. Poor Dasa hasn't reached the FS TES minimum (50.77, so close) :( http://www.drsanje.si/wp-content/rezultati/DragonTrophy2020/ResultsDragonTrophy/SEG024.HTM

5 hours ago, sallycinnamon said:

Italian Ice Dancers Tessari/Fioretti posted on their FB site that they are splitting which is quite unexpected.

They have finished 2nd at Italian Nationals behind Guignard/Fabbri and were 16th at Europeans just two weeks ago. Italy has two spots for Worlds in Ice Dance, so if Tessari/Fioretti aren't going to Worlds then only one couple remain who could get the chance, Roy/Pierantonio, a new pair who doesn't have any experience at senior level competitions yet. They're going to Egna Dance Trophy this week (Tessari/Fioretti is still on the entry list too...).

In other news, Dragon Trophy was held last week where Rodeghiero won, Lara Naki Gutmann got the silver and Dasa Grm finished bronze in the ladies. Poor Dasa hasn't reached the FS TES minimum (50.77, so close) :( http://www.drsanje.si/wp-content/rezultati/DragonTrophy2020/ResultsDragonTrophy/SEG024.HTM

I was actually checking yesterday especially for Dasa and was so disappointed... :( she is on the list for Sofia Trophy too, but probably she had the biggest chance at competition in Slovenia...

1 hour ago, airi said:

I was actually checking yesterday especially for Dasa and was so disappointed... :( she is on the list for Sofia Trophy too, but probably she had the biggest chance at competition in Slovenia...

I know..I think there were two Slovenians in the technical panel too and she still couldn't get the TES :( I hope for a miracle at Sofia Trophy. Hope dies last.