getting that Origin leak a month ago was helpful to take away some of the heat of the reactions one might even think it was intentional :P LMAO 

in hindsight he gave us plenty of hints here and there (starting by his interviews and no media day planned)

just following my own thoughts and nothing I havent' already said (probably verbatim), or that in general hasn't already been said multiple times, but since my fingers kinda typed the whole thing, leaving under spoiler LOL

Spoiler

I understand wanting more new programs I want them too, I want more rock (and tango, yes, I want it) but clearly Yuzuru has his ideas (ad ideals) and he's sticking to them.

Yuzu doesn't conceive programs as disposable items to change every season as if there was some expiry date. True, it's costume to change programs, or at least the music of a program, in the hope of pleasing the audience and the judges (and it also looks like changing music is all it takes to get a rep for versatility). Yeah, some skaters really feel they have given their everything to a program, but to be very blunt, I am not sure that's true for most skaters. I am not sure that for most skaters a program is more than a mean to an end, I am not sure that the reason why they get new programs is to dig deep inside themselves and bring out something different (something more than just superficial packaging). Some really candidly said they would grow bored of a piece, and I find it very relatable, tbh. Much more relatable than keep working on the very same piece and "obsessing" over it again and again and again... I would probalby come to hate even my most fave song if I had to listen to it several times a day everyday for a whole year...

Now, I don't want to say changing program every year is bad, not at all and I am always looking forward to new things. it's always exciting when there are "new" things to see. But the reason for changing programs (or for not changing them) to me it's worth some thought.

For Yuzu, there is design and planning and thought behind his choice.

If he doesn't feel he has achieved what he wanted with them, he goes back and keep working on them. Yes, from the outside it might look unnecessary, unimaginative or even boring (or lazy) but that's actually not? Because it's the depth of the committment that actually pushes him to do so, so that's something that's worth loads of respect from me.

I'm not even sure how much upgrading tech has influenced his choice. A bit, yes, but also, I don't think it was the most important reason. I think what he wants to say with a program counts more than the scores he wants to get.

For Origin, for example, he created that program with the tech upgrade in mind so he's literally trying to get back to how it was supposed to be.

as for Otonal, clearly having a clean skate or a wr doesn't factor in what Yuzuru thinks is "perfection" and, as I have already said, on this one I agree with him (I would have not with Ballade when he brought it back for Oly season, and even then he proved me he knew better)

One might feel his approach to a program is a bit obsessive, but well, that kind of "obsession" made Yuzu who he is. It's that kind of "obsession" that gave us those very programs that touched us.

I would go as far as guessing that that kind of "obsession" is part of what make the artists who get to work with him so enthralled with him (and maybe, to them, that attitude is relatable)

When it comes to Yuzu, keeping a program is the very opposite of being complacent. And this season especially, with so many skaters going for edgy&modern, the choice of keeping Origin and Otonal (despite what everyone else might think or say) really stands out as utterly nonconformist.

Even brave, if we think about how his choices are judged and sometimes even scoffed at....

14 minutes ago, Yuzurella said:

I'm just happy that I get to see Yuzu create art and magic and the ice for one more season. It's such a privilege to watch him, cheer him on, support him and accompany him on his journey as a fan. :tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw:

This is true.  Given everything he has done in his career, everything he now chooses to give the world is a gift.

And it occurs to me, the fact that Seimei and Chopin were repeated and therefore skated more often doesn't change my fresh and new enjoyment of each separate performance (I mean, how many videos do I have - and regularly watch - of each?)

I'm glad that we had that leak in the summer (intentional or not), so everybody is more or less calm now :happy: so now I can move to ACI thread to obsess about layout :smiley-happy093:

Question: Isn't this season considered Hanyu's 10th season as a senior? He literally hasn't taken a break either so it's amazing.

3 hours ago, Forcefield said:

Question: Isn't this season considered Hanyu's 10th season as a senior? He literally hasn't taken a break either so it's amazing.

In my opinion no, last season he was 23 years old, so it can not be his 10th season as a senior, it would be that he skated senior since he was 13 years old?

He won junior world championships in 2010, so he may start skating in senior since 2011. He won a silver medal in Four Continents in 2011, just before the big earthquake in March 2011.

3 hours ago, Forcefield said:

Yup, 2010/2011 was his first senior season.

It is amazing. He does not lose determination and motivation to compete year after year even when things seem impossible. For 10 years, 5 years of which he is not in the top physical condition for half a year. And he does not even think to take a break. 

It appears to me that much of the disappointment with Yuzu's repeating Otonal is because he has 'perfected' it.  It seems to me that he's retaining it because it's comfortable for him.  Remember, when he did Chopin in the 2017/18 season it was the third time he used that program and with that program he already had set two world records (2015  NHK and then GPF two weeks later).  I think he's using it to help pad his scores.  Incidentally unlike so many here I like Otonal better than Origin, although I don't actually dislike Origin.  Also, even though we know he's bringing the two programs back he might have made some changes, perhaps critical changes, in them.  So we'll have to wait and see.  Just remember, tomorrow is showtime.

5 hours ago, madraykin said:

Yup, 2010/2011 was his first senior season.

Not only 10 years as a senior, but he pretty well moved into the top rank at once.

I can’t believe I wake up to a news of Yuzu jumping quints like WTF this is not how my morning should be :dpooh:

6 hours ago, Vadrouille said:

In my opinion no, last season he was 23 years old, so it can not be his 10th season as a senior, it would be that he skated senior since he was 13 years old?

He won junior world championships in 2010, so he may start skating in senior since 2011. He won a silver medal in Four Continents in 2011, just before the big earthquake in March 2011.

Your math doesn't agree because we start counting from the 1st season, not 0th season whereas we count years from 0. And last season was his 9th, not 10th, so that's where you're missing 2 years. 

He started the 2010/2011 season at the age of 15. So 15 yo (1st season),  16 (2nd),  17 (3rd),  18 (4th),  19 (5th),  20 (6th),  21 (7th),  22 (8th),  23 (9th),  24 (10th).

It's crazy that when Yuzuru won his triple crown of GPF/Olys/Worlds, so many of the male skaters born around the same time who are active now (or are recently retired) were either still competing in the JGP like Kolyada, Tanaka, & Kvitelashvili, or were having their senior debut that year, like Brown & Kovtun. Even Javi didn't start on the senior GP until the 2009-2010 season, one year before Yuzu. Yuzu was really very, very young, particularly for men's.

17 hours ago, Yuzurella said:

I totally expected Yuzu to recycle his programs from last season. He only got to perform them on a big stage too few times and there's great potential in both Otonal and Origin. I'm confident that he'll turn them into absolute masterpieces this season. I have a feeling that he'll rewrite skating history yet again.

Besides, I think Yuzu recycling his programs is also a good sign that he intends to continue competing. I don't think he'd use two tribute programs for the last season of his career. 

I'm just happy that I get to see Yuzu create art and magic and the ice for one more season. It's such a privilege to watch him, cheer him on, support him and accompany him on his journey as a fan. :tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw:

I agree with your point here, it's not a surprise that Yuzu is keeping both his programs this season because he tends to stick to something and perfect it. I was looking forward to him getting new programs, but keeping both programs can still be exciting!! Also, does anyone know if he'll be using new costumes or using the same ones as last season?

If he plans to continue competing, it'll be such a treat to all of us and to skating in general! :yes2:

Remember the time when Yuzu initially planned to retire after Pyeongchang? Back then I really thought he would retire in 2018, so I wanted to see him skate live in competition before that actually happened. Now that's not really a concern, since he seems to be continuing! There'll be plenty more chances to see him skate live!