3 hours ago, KatjaThera said:

I think it's far more likely he'll continue until he concludes he physically no longer has the ability to win anymore.

I strongly agree with this. He doesn't strike me as someone that will keep competing regardless of his placements. It's either compete for gold or retire and I believe he also said it himself.   Some poster above also said that he would likely retire if he wins everything next season but I think that's dubious. He could also think "Why retire now if I'm still having so much success?  I could keep this rythm until Beijing". There's just too many variables. The chances of him going to Beijing are getting more real though.

Also, Yuzuru does wants to bring back the 4Lz but we also need to consider that Nathan has much more competition experience with his 4Lz (and 4F). And Yuzuru's  4A could be more of a gamble than anything but that depends on how his training is going and we have no idea of it.  It may sound a bit pessimistic, but introducing a new jump (I would consider new since he only attempted it once at competition If I remember correctly), specially one where he injured himself, is not an easy task in the slightest and opens the margin for errors.  He's of course capable of it and he has the gabage of training it for the 2017-2018 season so he at least has a whole off season of training it in his run throughs besides this one but it's still new scenario. 

3 hours ago, KatjaThera said:

Yuzu will only call it quits

I read it as quiNts.  :laughing:   This talk is messing with my head. 

9 hours ago, SparkleSalad said:

OT but ever since the 24hr TV announcement, my Twitter feed has been full of photos of people eating white peaches and it’s all because of an elbow. :facepalm:

My brain came up with some really pervy thoughts for a second before I realized what I was looking at. :darklordyuzu:

I would've associated peaches with a different body part, but okay... to each their own... :biggrin:

ETA: Talking about edible body parts... this is amazing! :xD:

Reading Yuzu's interview reminds me how much he has sacrificed and dedicated his life to skating. He is always on a quest to produce art in its the highest level and his outlook toward winning is inspiring.  He is an example of a true king

“While others search for what they can take, a true king searches for what he can give.” - Mufasa 2019

14 hours ago, SparkleSalad said:

How many times have we all felt so miserable and defeated and scared of the r word only for Yuzu to come back with “I’m going to land x y z and win everything”? I’ve stopped worrying about his motivation to continue because he’s obviously mentally indestructible and trying to understand his brain is just a waste of time for us mortals. Everything hinges on that precious ankle but I bet he still believes skaters peak at 30.

Anyway, Yuzu has always done something incredible the competition after being beaten by Nathan and this time the kuyashii is 9000 and his 4lz is back and he’s fixed that terrifying axis. :tumblr_inline_n18qrbDQJn1qid2nw:

14 hours ago, SparkleSalad said:

Exactly. I'm actually totally relaxed about all this. From experience, I know that Yuzu's always proven to be stronger than anybody thought possible. He's achieved greater things than anyone could've imagined. And he's overcome every obstacle that many thought to be invincible. Whenever the world thought that Yuzu couldn't possibly go any further, he's proven them wrong.

I trust him and his team. They know what they're doing. They know how to play this game. After the WC,  it was obvious how pissed and kuyashii Yuzu was. If there's anyone who knows how to turn this kind of disappointment and frustration into positive motivation and energy to achieve more than ever, then it's Yuzu.

Besides, let's not forget that Nathan's also just human. He's been quite consistent since WC 2018, but that doesn't mean that he's a machine and manages to perform at his best every time. Judges have been favoring him because of his perceived consistency and seeming domination in Yuzu's absence (on top of other questionable factors). But that doesn't mean that they wouldn't just drop him if he should falter or if another skater (namely Yuzu) also shows as much of a variety of jumps and has a BV as high or even higher than Nathan.

Anyway, I'm just grateful that Yuzu continues to compete and we get to see him and experience all this excitement for another season. To be honest, I expected him to r****** after winning the Olympics 2018. It would've made sense and I'm pretty sure any other skater would've done that. But not Yuzu. Of course not Yuzu.

I was ready to wail, moan, wallow in my misery and pity myself that I would never have the chance to see him live ever. I despaired at my life when he withdrew from WC 2018, for which I had bought tickets. But then he announced that he'd continue to compete and it was as if I was given a second chance... in fact, more than one second chance. I immediately snatched my chance and went to see him at GP Helsinki. And this year, I'm going to see him in Poohrino. :dancingpooh:

So, yes, I'm grateful to the universe, all the skating gods and mostly of course to Yuzu himself that he'll continue to bless us with his genius, inspire us with his passion and delight us with his mastery. I cherish and appreciate every moment our unikittycorn gives us on the ice. :tumblr_m9gcraReGL1qzckow:

NDP and LGC banners for the Sendai Tanabata Matsuri at Zuihoden!

H&L as well

And last year they had SEIMEI

ETA Blue LGC

I deeply want Yuzu to do a quint and then sit there in the K&C looking smug, with Brian and Ghislain facepalming on either side of him, for twenty minutes as the judges and tech panel argue over how they're supposed to score something that is fully rotated, technically correct according to the list of acceptable jump takeoffs, but isn't in the book. And whoever comes after him getting an extra long warmup.

9 hours ago, Frenchkiss70 said:

So, it’s this time of the year we all go crazy speculating and we won’t have media day to bring us back to Earth :10814716:

I wonder how far we’ll get before ACI:hihi:

At least as far as 4A4T in the second half

4 hours ago, fyere0 said:

I deeply want Yuzu to do a quint and then sit there in the K&C looking smug, with Brian and Ghislain facepalming on either side of him, for twenty minutes as the judges and tech panel argue over how they're supposed to score something that is fully rotated, technically correct according to the list of acceptable jump takeoffs, but isn't in the book. And whoever comes after him getting an extra long warmup.

That would be so much fun! But you know, as a physicist I'm with Shoma on this one: I don't believe quints are possible. Or at the very least, they're not possible to fit into a program. Think about the speed you'd have to have going into one in order to get the angular momentum to complete all five rotations. You'd need, at a minimum, a full length/ circuit of the rink in crossovers to get up to that speed. How do you make that work in a program? Especially a Yuzu program? 

If someone ever does manage a quint, IMO the first place we'll see it is as a one-off stunt at an iceshow.

Still think the reason Boyang didn’t end up at TCC is because he knew Yuzu wouldn’t stop bugging him to land 5T. :D Guess with Boyang showing no interest he’s decided to have a go himself.

I expect an Evgenia-Alina situation between Nathan and Vincent soon, especially because despite everything, Nathan seems to be working to improve certain things. The recent outing of his SP, his setup for his 3A looked like he'd been working on shortening it and even if he had a hand down, I like what it says about him. He gets the GOEs with a setup from Pluto now, the only reason he's working on it is because he wants to be better. Now whether that translates to competition, we'll see. Either way, his PCS and GOE will hit the ceiling this season because there won't be anywhere left to go. Vincent's jumps have more prerotation so he could conceivably get his edge jumps stablilised as far as landing is concerned. And he's only going to college one semester, he's got more time for training. It could very well end in Vincent having a BV advantage over Nathan and his PCS and GOE being pushed just as high.

Yuzu is the monkey wrench in those plans USFSA have, they must be pulling their hair out screeching 'What will it take for you to retire!!' But the thing I find most encouraging is that Yuzu managed to make his 4Lz axis so much better. Somehow I feel like he crossed one big hurdle standing between him and the rest of the toe jumps. I'm crossing everything and looking up every way to send good health and good fortune to him because with that, he will be the one with the BV advantage. Unless he takes a whole season off, they won't Chiddy his PCS. He will have to go above and beyond his competition to get what they get and he'll have to become even better than he is now to beat them, but you know what? If there is anybody in this universe who can do it, and who will work hard AND smart to do it, who is analytical enough about technique, the politics and his own condition to do it, it's Our Overlord Trollzuru.

If he's calculated that to do it, he needs to keep his old programmes? We'll be right behind him every step of the way, cheering him on to do everything he wants to do. And we'll sit on anybody who recycles their tired old nonsense criticisms about his recycling. If their faves are so lacking in depth that they perform a programme as good as they can possibly do it on its fourth outing, that's a them problem, not an us problem. We'll wait for the Origin, and even the Otonal, that he sees himself performing. We'll be well rewarded when he does it. 

12 hours ago, makebelieveup said:

Oh did u mean 300 instead of 340? 340 seems kinda high for total combination score without GOE

EDIT: I decided to put this comment into spoilers, because I don't want to destroy the good mood :laughing:

Spoiler

I want to be honest: my perception of ISU judges has been irreparably damaged at WTT 2019. From now on I will expect the absolute worst to happen in every competition, e.g. US Nat scores in international competitions (Nathan with 5 quads scoring 340 sounds not that unrealistic anymore). If the panels decide to score a bit fairer than expected, it's a reason to celebrate for me already.

Gomen for the extreme negativity, but that's how I feel about scoring at the moment. It's a pity... :13877886:

PS: The scores in that post were jokes of course. 167 BV is not even possible with the current repetition rules. It's so sad to even calculate such mad scores actually...

To be honest the best time to introduce a quint for Yuzu is after he retires from full time competitive skating,  because right now it is not worth it if it has no known mark. After retirement, he can train it at his pace and when it is ready,  just enter himself into some international challenger event whose results are recognised by the ISU, but he does not need to commit himself to a full season. That way he can build a program that is choreographically supportive of the quint (or maybe even more than one for more opportunity to succeed), jump it and get his name down in history as the first to land it. He can simply just do one quint, one quad and the rest triples if it makes the success rate higher (in a lot of these challengers, two landed quads is all you need to win)  But since he is retired, what total marks he gets doesn't really matter anymore.  

@Henni147 I feel the same but on the other hand Yuzu is a strategic genius who experienced for himself the corrupt/incompetent judging of the past season and still decided it was worth it to continue. So, while I have no faith in judges I have an endless amount of faith in him.

I also just really don’t want to be stuck in a depressing swamp and blind faith is more fun. :snpeace:

11 minutes ago, SparkleSalad said:

@Henni147 I feel the same but on the other hand Yuzu is a strategic genius who experienced for himself the corrupt/incompetent judging of the past season and still decided it was worth it to continue. So, while I have no faith in judges I have an endless amount of faith in him.

I also just really don’t want to be stuck in a depressing swamp and blind faith is more fun. :snpeace:

Agree, agree and agree.

Thank you for this positive and healing comment :1497158260_5GOE: