Jump to content

Recommended Posts

46 minutes ago, Paskud said:

Literally everybody in the world: OMG, what with Yuzuru? What with his ankle?:tumblr_inline_mqt4gi2T9v1qz4rgp: Is he ready? Can he jump? :14066882:What he jumps? What will be his layout?:59227c768286a__s: What if he will be robbed? Only 8 days until worlds... :tumblr_inline_mqt4gqDerH1qz4rgp:

Yuzuru: I like cats because they are fluffy and cute.:tumblr_inline_mzx8xsVPrg1r8msi5:

Trolling us all 'til the end :9:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, utsukushii3A said:

 

Has anyone actually seen where the supposed underrotation on his Helsinki quad loop is? Does anyone here agree with that? I'm no technical specialist, but I think I know math well enough to be able to pick out most underrotations. The quad toe was borderline, but I couldn't see anything remotely resembling an underrotation on the loop.

 

4 hours ago, Old Cat Lady said:

The calls for that free skate were so bizarre.  The video I have didn't have a slo-mo replay for the toe that got called <, but both the axels looked shorter than either the loop or the toe that did get called.  From the angles of the video I was watching, I thought both the quads were within the requirements and both the axels were around the quarter. In fact, the loop looked almost backwards at landing - the only thing I can think is that the caller got confused because of the deep curve on the landing.  I can understand the mistake on the initial call but you would think it would have been corrected on replay - it didn't even look close to a quarter short to me.

I think that loop phantom call was due to the fact the landing was so bad and heavy that they thought his blade touched the UR mark. I watched the loop several times and eventho it wasnt a clean landing, it was not UR. Im not sure about the toe tho. But the scores would probably have changed a bit and who knows who would still have held that world record by now. but then i think about how many times he has been underscored and this isnt really news, sadly. i wonder if yuzu gonna pull a javi once he retired and write a book to spill tea about figure skating lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Old Cat Lady said:

The calls for that free skate were so bizarre.  The video I have didn't have a slo-mo replay for the toe that got called <, but both the axels looked shorter than either the loop or the toe that did get called.  From the angles of the video I was watching, I thought both the quads were within the requirements and both the axels were around the quarter. In fact, the loop looked almost backwards at landing - the only thing I can think is that the caller got confused because of the deep curve on the landing.  I can understand the mistake on the initial call but you would think it would have been corrected on replay - it didn't even look close to a quarter short to me.


I fed the full Helsinki FS into my video editor with 30 fps, slowed down the speed to 25% and switched back and forth between the freeze frames a dozen times. I looked where the toe pick entered the ice first, not the full blade. The biggest problem is the flat camera angle, it warps the entry and exit curves really much, so you can only have a rough guess of the true landing angle. I would say that 30°-steps are the absolute maximum that you can "see" without special measurement tools.

 

Here's a live screen record of my editor and my personal observations:

Spoiler

 

 

Jump Landing UR
4Lo 90°
4S 90°
3Lo
4T 90°
4T +3A 90°, 120°
3F+3T

60°, 60°

3A*+1Eu+3S

120°, 90°90°

*you can see that one better from the ISU slomo angle. Here it looks not even borderline...


Many of his jumps looked borderline to me in the freeze-frame-slomo, but I would have called the two Axels as UR and only those.

 

I pray that he won't give the judges any oppurtunity for a call next week and skate at his best :tumblr_inline_n18qrbDQJn1qid2nw:


#Footnote: my favorite animals are the giant tortoises from Aldabra and Galapagos Islands.

Always chilled, protected by a huge shell, intelligent and blessed with a long life of +150 years. My soulmates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is ISU finally catching up with Olympic Channel on how to use Yuzu's fanbase to promote their tweets? :10814716:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Henni147 said:


I fed the full Helsinki FS into my video editor with 30 fps, slowed down the speed to 25% and switched back and forth between the freeze frames a dozen times. I looked where the toe pick entered the ice first, not the full blade. The biggest problem is the flat camera angle, it warps the entry and exit curves really much, so you can only have a rough guess of the true landing angle. I would say that 30°-steps are the absolute maximum that you can "see" without special measurement tools.

 

Here's a live screen record of my editor and my personal observations:

  Hide contents

 

 

Jump Landing UR
4Lo 90°
4S 90°
3Lo
4T 90°
4T +3A 90°, 120°
3F+3T

60°, 60°

3A*+1Eu+3S

120°, 90°90°

*you can see that one better from the ISU slomo angle. Here it looks not even borderline...


Many of his jumps looked borderline to me in the freeze-frame-slomo, but I would have called the two Axels as UR and only those.

 

I pray that he won't give the judges any oppurtunity for a call next week and skate at his best :tumblr_inline_n18qrbDQJn1qid2nw:


#Footnote: my favorite animals are the giant tortoises from Aldabra and Galapagos Islands.

Always chilled, protected by a huge shell, intelligent and blessed with a long life of +150 years. My soulmates.

 

Lol, the bold explains why my estimates of how short or how prerotated a jump is are always multiples of 30°. That had been confusing the living daylights out of me. :laughing:

 

Thank you for posting the video! It's definitely clearer with the video editor rather than me trying to hit the spacebar fast enough on Youtube. 

 

...Clearer, still not clearly underrotated...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, utsukushii3A said:

 

Lol, the bold explains why my estimates of how short a jump is are always multiples of 30°. That had been confusing the living daylights out of me. :laughing:

 

Thank you for posting the video! It's definitely clearer with the video editor rather than me trying to hit the spacebar fast enough on Youtube. 

 

...Clearer, still not clearly underrotated...


Yep. One flat camera perspective is just not enough to judge this properly imo. Yuzu's second 3A at the very end looked totally okay to me in my screen recording, but visibly underrotated in the ISU slomo review... so what?... *brain smokes* :tumblr_inline_mqt4gqDerH1qz4rgp:

If the rotation is such an important quality feature of a jump, ISU really has to invest in a precise measurement tool to prevent the sport from another UR madness as 4CC 2019. That was terrible to watch... and it will get worse the more skaters join the game of quads. I doubt that anything will happen, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't remember when this video was put by Olympic Channel but it seems appropriate to bring it back now :kitty:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, sophiang said:

 

you make me nervous with those question...........:LOL:

That are the question we all want to ask.....but.............we can't...........

 

Remember that Tracy said that he was quadding around, and he wouldn't do that if he couldn't jump quads. So take comfort in that - I don't think it was in any way a misinformation, as she was simply describing what each of the skaters she trains were doing that day.

"Tracy: It’s an Olympic moment. But, I had a moment today, where you know, Jun [Hwan Cha] is fixing his skate and Yuzu’s quadding all over [laughs] and Evgenia is triple something-triple looping, and Jason is doing all this magic, and I said to Jun “I’m just trying to stay out of the way!” [Laughter] Because, you know, and I’m grateful. I’m so grateful. "

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Veveco said:

Is ISU finally catching up with Olympic Channel on how to use Yuzu's fanbase to promote their tweets? :10814716:

 

lol they could have used any defending champion but they used yuzu. if only they promote him through their judging like they did through their social media pshh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember somebody here was collecting all the ways in which Yuzuru's name has been mispronounced. I wonder if this one has been mentioned yet: Skate America 2012, Russian commentator: Yuzuka HanyU :59227c768286a__s:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Shimmering said:

I remember somebody here was collecting all the ways in which Yuzuru's name has been mispronounced. I wonder if this one has been mentioned yet: Skate America 2012, Russian commentator: Yuzuka HanyU :59227c768286a__s:

 

Yuzuka would be a beautiful name for a little girl named after both Yuzu and Rika Kihira. :xD:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, makebelieveup said:

lol they could have used any defending champion but they used yuzu. if only they promote him through their judging like they did through their social media pshh

 

Yes, normally they would highlight any of the current WCs... but like the Olympic Channel, they do know where their audience's hearts and clicks are :10814716: And the comments aren't weighted in anyone's favour oh nononono....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×