6 minutes ago, IULIANA said:

https://www.ifsmagazine.com/hanyu-skating-for-himself-this-season/

Maybe it has been posted, but here it is, bc it contains a little clarification about Yuzuru s intention to put the 4A  as the first jump in his free.

:13877886:

So my guess of his layout plans for worlds might be correct? *mutters*

Spoiler

4A-4T-3Lo-4S-4T3T-3A1Lo3S-3A2T

Well if he does this, either the 4Lo will be replacing the 3Lo, or my safer guess is that it goes into the SP. Oh...so that's why no clips yet of a full SP layout run through.

Edit: just realized worlds 2019 is right around my birthday. Well, I never thought I'd be anticipating a potential heart attack and hair-loss as a birthday gift, but hey, what did I know. Strangely I look forward to it too. :13877886:

Wait a second. I remember when Yuzu first won his 2nd OGM, Japanese reporters would flock to him and ask "Are you planning to compete in Beijing olympics?" And Yuzu avoided the question like the plague.

And said he had no intention just now.

But then in the Press conference, he said if he goes to Beijing, he will go to win. And I remember Fanyus laughing at how this guy's Zen attitude doesn't last long lol.

I know Beijing is ages away, but if he were to really go, I do hope he goes without being pressured to go. I know Team Japan has Shoma as the next Japan No.1 Male Skater in the line up, but their obsession with Hanyu to get a 3rd OGM is very evident. (They never stop asking him, given the chance to). 

Well, it will be more than legendary if he goes and managed to win the third gold. Media asked it because he will still be young enough to be a three-peat at 27 y.o.

However, since he said himself that if he going there he will want to win and not just to sing his swan song, his physical condition will be the deciding factor. That is why he doesn't give a certain answer. 

As for Shoma... I am rather sceptical that he will be as strong a competitor like Hanyu (no hate here, just trying to be objective). He is currently depended on the judges' mercy with his jumps problems being overlooked. Whenever ISU finds another golden boy, he will be dropped like a hot stone. I believe he himself is aware of this, hence his summer jump training camp. Kudos to him, and I hope he managed to correct his technique. 

1 hour ago, quadaxelwin said:

But he did say he felt uncomfortable jumping flips and lutzs. Not pain, but still uncomfortable. I think he needs much more time to properly heal before he can attempt quad lutz again. 

I wonder. There are 3 months to GPF. He might start to train Lutz and Flip again by then, or maybe even by November. Being optimistic, his conditions should improve month by month. If they don't improve and he still feels uncomfortable... it's bad news, it would mean that it's kind of permanent. I'm sure Yuzuru's doing everything to avoid that possibility. Of course, his skating is still the best and perfect without those two jumps. But I think he would feel very frustrated and limited in his expressive freedom, and I share the feeling. When you can do something and then you can't do it anymore, it's all kinds of kuyashii. I'm sure he's resisting the temptation to go back to train Lutz and Flip every day with the utmost effort. It's probably very hard. 

On 9/3/2018 at 2:33 AM, vanadiezz said:

Well, it will be more than legendary if he goes and managed to win the third gold. Media asked it because he will still be young enough to be a three-peat at 27 y.o.

However, since he said himself that if he going there he will want to win and not just to sing his swan song, his physical condition will be the deciding factor. That is why he doesn't give a certain answer. 

As for Shoma... I am rather sceptical that he will be as strong a competitor like Hanyu (no hate here, just trying to be objective). He is currently depended on the judges' mercy with his jumps problems being overlooked. Whenever ISU finds another golden boy, he will be dropped like a hot stone. I believe he himself is aware of this, hence his summer jump training camp. Kudos to him, and I hope he managed to correct his technique. 

Ofc w his competitive spirit yuzu would go for the top of the podium. Going Oly is such an exhausting journey theres no way he would make it little like only a goodbye stage or so. 

[admin edit: speculation]

On 9/3/2018 at 4:02 AM, monchan said:

I'm confused by a few things with this because:

1) How is it that JSF considers Shoma Japans ace when Yuzu is the one consistently delivering the big wins? Is it more of that Japan politics cause of the region thing?

2) Where was/is this political backing/favour for Yuzu? (if we take it as JSF is now backing Shoma since they consider him the one to take over from Yuzu.) Yuzu has never been shown favour in terms of overscoring (except for COC 14' but thats an entirely different matter), quite the opposite really. he's consistently underscored. 

Yuzu is still Japan's ace. The way I see it, it is not all about JSF politics. ISU needs to boost some people to keep Yuzu from dominating the field. Shoma is one of the logical choice since he is artistic enough to satisfy some fans, especially those who do not like Yuzu. But the situation may change since US now has strong competitor too.

Also, even though Shoma has strong political backup from his fed, but in terms of coach I think Brian has much stronger influence. 

On 9/3/2018 at 4:26 AM, OonsieHui said:

1) How is it that JSF considers Shoma Japans ace when Yuzu is the one consistently delivering the big wins? Is it more of that Japan politics cause of the region thing?

2) Where was/is this political backing/favour for Yuzu? (if we take it as JSF is now backing Shoma since they consider him the one to take over from Yuzu.) Yuzu has never been shown favour in terms of overscoring (except for COC 14' but thats an entirely different matter), quite the opposite really. he's consistently underscored. 

As for Yuzu getting political backing, I don't think he ever did.

COC'14 rant below:

Spoiler

I don't even consider COC '14 as political backing. While one can argue that 5 falls is too much, I personally think that despite that and despite the pain he must have been in, Yuzu still showed more expressiveness and artistry than many skaters do now. It was an intensely emotional performance and very impressive from a "kept falling, but also kept getting back up again", never give up point of view. It's also not like he got ridiculously high PCS, as far as I remember - it was much lower than he usually did - and the GOE he got was for rotating the jumps, despite everything, and he got all the fall deductions. So it bugs me sometimes when people make a big deal out of that. I think if the competition had been stronger and if he hadn't finished second, it wouldn't be such a big deal, but since he finished second, that's all people complained about. But then, IMO, Patrick's FS at the Olympics was very bad, because he visibly gave up and was hesitant the whole way through, yet some people praise that performance and claim it was better than Yuzu's FS at Olys. Yuzu never gave up in China, despite everything and I'm all for him getting points for it.

Back to the topic, up to Sochi, JSF backed Daisuke - and looking back on old threads on GS, it's quite funny to see the bias there as Yuzu started threatening that position with results, not to mention the conspiracy theories. Afterwards, I think they sort of basked in Yuzu's success, but without actually doing much about it. They didn't really need to either, though.

[admin edit: speculation] But Yuzu is still their secret weapon and if Shoma can't do it, they hide behind Yuzu's success. But as far as helping him and giving him political backing? Not gonna happen. Haven't there been competitions when the Japanese judge scored Yuzu more poorly than they scored Nathan and more poorly than the US judge scored Yuzu. It doesn't get more not backing up than that, IMO...

To think about it, Yuzu doesn't really belong to any skating tradition/school/powerhouse or whatever you call it. He's Japanese & laid a great technical foundation in Japan. From Russian heroes & teachers he found his artistic origin. North American coaches & choreographers help him hone his skills & present a unique package. I think he's the most complete skater the world has ever seen for many reasons, and an important one of them is that he isn't confined to one place in terms of learning & experience. While many take pride in being totally "Japan-made," "Russia-made" etc, he is sort of a "skating global citizen." (pardon me for the lousy made-up term😂) None of the big feds or skating schools can call him entirely their own. I guess that might have cost him some political support, but it also helped him become the miraculous skater that he is. (Thanks to Shirota-san for sending him out!)

1 hour ago, OonsieHui said:

Spoiler

Yes, region thingy. Shoma is from Nagoya, where's considered origin of skating in jpn w the likes of midori ito and mao asada. Do u ever question why Shizuka arakawa has never been loved as mao even shes the oly champ? (She was even the underdog going to the oly cuz mao age wasnt qualified then). Nagoya has always been strong w politics even when now they r not the best camp. Dont forget Mako, who got best result out of jr, rika is a better jr imo. 

Isn't the main reason for Yuzu's lack of political support Shirota? Otherwise there would have been no reason JSF would not have given him full support towards achieving double Olympic Champion - that would have been huge for Japan and he isn't even at the age where he needs to pass the baton to the younger generation.. plenty of male skaters skate till they are 27 or 28.  

I often wonder whether his skating career would have been easier if he wasn't associated with Shirota - but then he wouldn't have moved to TCC (although even if he did not go, I am sure he would still have had a stellar career , but whether the stars would have aligned for a double Olympic gold may be a different story )  

But on the flip side the reason Hanyu is so strong and a well-rounder is because he knows he has no one to rely upon other than himself - he basically have to do 110% for the judges to award him 100%, hence he is never complacent.  

This season he will probably be one of the skaters most vulnerable to the judging - despite the fact he hasn't ruled out Beijing, other than his fans, most people and maybe JSF and ISU too, seem to think he won't stay the full quad - which means they are desperate to create a new "idol" to fill in the void when he does leave. and unfortunately the only way they can think of is by having someone beat him.     

10 hours ago, quadaxelwin said:

True. An evil part of me wishes he won't land it this season, just so I can see him try it for a few seasons more. But another part of me wants to see him land it this season and break another WR. I'm in agreement with you, that I just want him to be happy and healthy now, without pressure. He has done more than enough for figure skating. He deserves a break. I kind of want to see Yuzu on a big vacation holiday in Hawaii or something, just swimming with dolphins without kuyashii vibes after he lands 4A. 

While this is a lovely image.........our boy  hates sunshine  and can't swim so it's more likely he'll be hiking or skiing i think?? I know he'd like to visit England to see Pooh's forest home!:notamused: