General Yuzuru Chat

9 minutes ago, Xen said:

-That's also how I'd describe them.  Yuzu's the type of perfectionist who by being harsh on themselves, sometimes motivates (and devastates) others to work and try to ascend the ranks with him. It's intimidating, and a constant reminder of the gap between someone who is excellent, and someone who is a genius. It's motivating, because it gives you a vision of what could be; but devastating because it can become overwhelming and allow you to give up (cause you'll never be like that). 

Agree 100%, which is why I'm thankful and honestly impressed at their training arrangement going as well as it has for this long. Not everybody could do that, it takes a very specific type of personality and relationship.

5 minutes ago, xeyra said:

Boy did it ever. Hope he takes it easy before COR. Last time he was this kuyashii he worked like mad and broke some records, but also probably aggravated his left foot injury. So.... errr... Brian and Tracy, keep him in check. Which I think they are, if they're keeping him at only one 4Lo per training session. 

I am more curious about what was the lesson learned from ACI. Because some part of me wondered if Yuzu thought, ever thought, he could wing layouts on the fly like Nathan. And Brian just sighed and thought, well if Yuzu wanted to try fly-by-night layout challenges, then ACI was the time to do so, and probably proved to Yuzu that he's not the type who can just wing layouts as last minute afterthoughts. So now Yuzu will have to be more thorough and considerate of his layouts, and stick to it, not wing it like crazy (which was ACI second half in a nutshell).

His 4Loop that was done in practice (that sole 4Loop) was pretty. I'm actually amused by how stable his 4S was at ACI-it felt like he could get away with not practicing it for weeks and still land it in his sleep. So all things considered, I think 1 4Loop per practice would be sufficient to keep his muscle memories in order. That was the beauty of his SP-it looked effortlessly natural, like he was just doing a casual practice run (how do you like them pancakes, boys?).

10 minutes ago, Xen said:

I am more curious about what was the lesson learned from ACI. Because some part of me wondered if Yuzu thought, ever thought, he could wing layouts on the fly like Nathan. And Brian just sighed and thought, well if Yuzu wanted to try fly-by-night layout challenges, then ACI was the time to do so, and probably proved to Yuzu that he's not the type who can just wing layouts as last minute afterthoughts. So now Yuzu will have to be more thorough and considerate of his layouts, and stick to it, not wing it like crazy (which was ACI second half in a nutshell).

His 4Loop that was done in practice (that sole 4Loop) was pretty. I'm actually amused by how stable his 4S was at ACI-it felt like he could get away with not practicing it for weeks and still land it in his sleep. So all things considered, I think 1 4Loop per practice would be sufficient to keep his muscle memories in order. That was the beauty of his SP-it looked effortlessly natural, like he was just doing a casual practice run (how do you like them pancakes, boys?).

I actually think it was his own 4CC and WTT experience of winging layouts last year that did him in and not Nathan's strategy. It gave him confidence previously and at ACI it failed. He learned that it doesn't always work or I hope he did. Curious to know too.

Some skaters seem to work on plan b layouts in case of zayak. I wonder if team cricket at least contemplates it although they probably won't practice it.

52 分ぐらい, Floriaさんが言いました:

Thank you for sharing! There are many things to comment, but why they always assume that Yuzu's fans come only from Japan? It is not true. And probably some Japanese fans think the same. They were genuinely surprised when I said that I came to ACI for Yuzu.

ETA next time I will translate my banner to Russian and Spanish 

I saw a Canadian reporter said 80% of the audience was Japanese, waiving national flags.  Although I was not actually there, I doubt this.  Maybe she couldn't recognize other Asian fans.  Especially, underestimating the power of Chinese fans :laughing:

But it might be true that Japanese fans are noticeable by their enthusiasm, waiting in a line over night to get the front seats. 

Sorry Yuzu, but I confess that I would not have such guts.  Shame for a Japanese as I would take a good night sleep :smiley-dance018:  

How can this lazy person get the Nationals ticket through the bloodbath ticket battle?  Hoping a little mercy of 8 million Japanese gods :snonegai:

15 minutes ago, Xen said:

I am more curious about what was the lesson learned from ACI. Because some part of me wondered if Yuzu thought, ever thought, he could wing layouts on the fly like Nathan. And Brian just sighed and thought, well if Yuzu wanted to try fly-by-night layout challenges, then ACI was the time to do so, and probably proved to Yuzu that he's not the type who can just wing layouts as last minute afterthoughts. So now Yuzu will have to be more thorough and considerate of his layouts, and stick to it, not wing it like crazy (which was ACI second half in a nutshell).

Yuzu will never be able to change layouts on the fly completely like Nathan does, for the simple reason that there's too much going on in Yuzu's programs. Him not wanting to sacrifice his skating and performing quality is incompatible with the way Nathan does things, so that puts a stop to the idea right there without even going into muscle memory stuff :laughing:

(ACI was an outlier for me, he was very out of touch with the program the whole time. I wouldn't put it in the same level as his usual yolo-ing like at 4CC last season, for example, where he was still very much in control of the situation)

2 minutes ago, SuzyQ said:

I saw a Canadian reporter said 80% of the audience is Japanese, waiving national flags.  Although I was not actually there, I doubt this.  Maybe she couldn't recognize other Asian fans.  Especially, underestimating the power of Chinese fans :laughing:

But it might be true that Japanese fans are noticeable by their enthusiasm, waiting in a line over night to get the front seats. 

Sorry Yuzu, but I confess that I would not have such guts.  Shame for a Japanese as I would take a good night sleep :smiley-dance018:  

How can this lazy person get the Nationals ticket through the bloodbath ticket battle?  Hoping a little mercy of 8 million Japanese gods :snonegai:

Actually it's kind of easy to tell apart the two...younger college age girls-Chinese fans (minus the parents of a judge, I didn't see many older Chinese fans). Slightly older ladies- Japanese fans. The pooh onesies and extreme cosplayers are probably also Chinese fans. And there were Chinese fans waving little banners that had japanese flags (brave souls, I imagine I'd get murdered by my family for that). 

And there were a LOT of chinese fans who camped overnight too (I noticed one girl had a giant bag of blankets). But you are correct, the Chinese fans have nothing on the Japanese ladies when it comes to seat-snatching. One of the chinese girls I talked to said she just could not believe the speed the japanese ladies were sprinting at to get the best seats.

5 minutes ago, Forcefield said:

Some skaters seem to work on plan b layouts in case of zayak. I wonder if team cricket at least contemplates it although they probably won't practice it.

Brian's said before that he's not a fan of training alternative layouts because they can give a skater the idea that they don't have to push as hard to deliver their planned content. But then again, there's Javier in Sochi; they probably don't want a repeat of that and have a couple of alternatives, now :tumblr_inline_n18qr5AMus1qid2nw:

On 2017/9/27 at 午前2時7分, Xenさんが言いました:

Actually it's kind of easy to tell apart the two...younger college age girls-Chinese fans (minus the parents of a judge, I didn't see many older Chinese fans). Slightly older ladies- Japanese fans. The pooh onesies and extreme cosplayers are probably also Chinese fans. And there were Chinese fans waving little banners that had japanese flags (brave souls, I imagine I'd get murdered by my family for that). 

And there were a LOT of chinese fans who camped overnight too (I noticed one girl had a giant bag of blankets). But you are correct, the Chinese fans have nothing on the Japanese ladies when it comes to seat-snatching. One of the chinese girls I talked to said she just could not believe the speed the japanese ladies were sprinting at to get the best seats.

Never underestimate Japanese Obasan (old/middle aged women) :laughing:

I read an article of Josei Seven at a book store (believe me, I didn't buy it) about how Japanese women squander their money.

One of the stories was about a Yuzuru fan (others were about idols, sumo wrestlers, hobbies, and so on). 

A woman in her 40's became a Yuzu fan, and she decided to start a part time job to go to his competitions/shows.  She earns 90 thousand yen a month and saves it as "Yuzu-kun Savings"  She never minds transits or waiting for a long time in order to save money when travelling.  But one day, as she was busy making banners for cheering Yuzuru, she just prepared the supper for her husband with store-made one as it is.  He looked sad, and said "You love Yuzuru Hanyu more than me...."  She says, "I reflected.  I decided to limit my travel abroad for Yuzuru's competitions to only twice a year."   :smiley-laughing021:    

17 minutes ago, Valkyria said:

Brian's said before that he's not a fan of training alternative layouts because they can give a skater the idea that they don't have to push as hard to deliver their planned content. But then again, there's Javier in Sochi; they probably don't want a repeat of that and have a couple of alternatives, now :tumblr_inline_n18qr5AMus1qid2nw:

I seem to recall an interview where Brian said that one of his biggest regrets is that Javi lost out on a medal in Sochi because of a mistake they hadn't anticipated. Because apparently they do look at practice run-throughs like, OK, this mistake here happens from time to time, if you make that mistake in competition, then you make up for it by doing this and that. But the mistake Javi made in Sochi was something that had apparently never happened before, and so they were all like OMG brain scrambled what to do how to fix this? So, they may not train alternate layouts, but they obviously have contingency plans for when things do go wrong. It's just hard to think of every single mistake that can happen in advance, and Yuzu is quite lucky in that he can think on his feet so quickly.

38 minutes ago, Xen said:

I'm just catching up on my Twitter feed now and reading all the experiences people had at ACI being in close proximity to their fave skaters is really getting me envious. Such are the perks of attending small, "intimate" Challenger series events. But reading about the war on seats and the apparent agility of the Japanese ladies in securing the best spots is getting me :laughing: and :eeking: and somewhat making me think if I could've handled the stress of the seat wars lol.

22 minutes ago, Valkyria said:

(ACI was an outlier for me, he was very out of touch with the program the whole time. I wouldn't put it in the same level as his usual yolo-ing like at 4CC last season, for example, where he was still very much in control of the situation)

I had the same impression, he appeared to be unsettled from the start. Also going by his interviews, rather than just (lol?) yoloing, it seems as if he was contemplating between going for it and "better not" before almost every jump, that has to be distracting:smiley-gen115:

Is it normal to feel bad for the fly?

1 minute ago, ymnk said:

I had the same impression, he appeared to be unsettled from the start. Also going by his interviews, rather than just (lol?) yoloing, it seems as if he was contemplating between going for it and "better not" before almost every jump, that has to be distracting:smiley-gen115:

Is it normal to feel bad for the fly?

Very distracting! It would be like doing a speech in front of many people and while talking, thinking about "which word is better in this case? Which word here?" you would stop mid-sentence basically all the time! xD Or maybe it would be like playing a piece on whatever instrument and figuring out the fingering as you go. Shall I use the third finger? The thumb? Eh, it's basically impossible to perform in these conditions because you become too rational and dissociated from the performance. 

I think Yuzuru gave himself the 'luxury' to be dissociated from Seimei because it was ACI. Luckily, with him it almost never happens, so we can rest assured that this year won't happen again. Yes, he will do mistakes again, but he for sure learned to follow his damn layout :rofl:

If Yuzu had just taken the 3Lz pop in stride instead of worrying about it, he might have just continued with the normal planned watered down layout. It's not like it was the Olympics and he was up against his rivals at a most important competition and had to make up for a pop (well, there was Javi, but a 3 quad FS would still have worked fine!). But going back to 3 quads must have smarted something fierce in him. :facepalm:

2 hours ago, Murieleirum said:

I have a feeling this is mostly Yuzu's doing. Because he gets so focused and serious and 'in the zone', I bet anyone will think twice about talking to him during practice. And maybe the feeling lingers before and after practice as well. After all, he's the one with the murder face. So I guess Javi's something like 'oh well. So I guess this year will be like this all year. Better let things be and do my best, yay!' xD 

While I agree that it is mostly Yuzu's doing. I feel like some of the tension is Javi's doing. This past Worlds, Javi was in the lead and Yuzu was in fifth. Then Yuzu won and Javi finished fourth. I'm wondering if Javi is starting to understand the pressure Yuzu feels and if that is causing any tension. Again this is just speculation and my own opinion. I also admit that I don't follow Javi and don't know much about his personality.

22 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

Very distracting! It would be like doing a speech in front of many people and while talking, thinking about "which word is better in this case? Which word here?" you would stop mid-sentence basically all the time! xD Or maybe it would be like playing a piece on whatever instrument and figuring out the fingering as you go. Shall I use the third finger? The thumb? Eh, it's basically impossible to perform in these conditions because you become too rational and dissociated from the performance. 

haha, those kind of things :rofl: