General Yuzuru Chat

xeyra said:
Bringing this back from SC 2016 practice, which I found while going through the Media Thread compilation. He was having a hard time concentrating on his own practice with that music on; he kept trying to do the other choreo. :)

Been absent for 1.5 days and still going through the thread and saw your post. Thank you I haven't seen this before and I don't know why but I feel weirdly emotional knowing that the music still gets to him so strongly that he couldn't stop himself from doing parts of the choreo. I know thay I can't stop myself from thinking about yuzuru whenever I hear this piece of music lol. I think r&j1, that whole season and especially Nice 2012 will always have a special place in his heart, as well as ours :)

I'd also prefer a choreo from Shae-Lynn... not that NDP or RJ2 from David were bad, but Yuzu didn't connect with them as much as he did with POTO, Seimei and H&L. Notte Stellata is another story but I think it worked only because there were no quads.

But I trust Yuzu, he knows what's best for him and I'll be ok with his decision.

moni said:
I'd also prefer a choreo from Shae-Lynn... not that NDP or RJ2 from David were bad, but Yuzu didn't connect with them as much as he did with POTO, Seimei and H&L. Notte Stellata is another story but I think it worked only because there were no quads.

But I trust Yuzu, he knows what's best for him and I'll be ok with his decision.

i feel like i'm in the minority because i also don't really dislike NDP or RJ2; sure, they're not anywhere near the top of my list, but i don't think they're bad.

but i definetly agree that shae-lynns programs seem to connect much better with yuzu. i think she definetly has a better understanding of him

kaeryth said:
liv said:
Once you know what she looks like, it's hard not to pick her out. Yuzu looks a lot like her.

Yep! But I'm actually amazed by her ninja moves as well. She has a sixth sense when cameras start clicking and is just able to hide/blend into the background.

I really respect this family. Yuzuru is a mega celebrity and perhaps the best known athlete in Japan. He is immensely popular. Despite this, we know almost nothing about his family. They keep an extremely low profile. They work at avoiding publicity. His mother cannot completely avoid cameras, but she is very adept at sidestepping and fading into the background whenever she spots television cameras. She tends to walk quite a distance behind Yuzu when they appear in public places. Whenever I have seen his father in videos, it is from behind as he is driving the family van. The only picture that I recall seeing of Yuzu's older sister, Saya, is when they were very young, possibly when they first started skating. We hear nothing about her, or for that matter, any other family members. It is clear, however, from what we see in Yuzuru, that he has been raised very well. :space: 

I don't dislike either RJ2 or NDP either. I think they just showed a skater that was very young and was adjusting to a new choreographer, new way of skating, and overall situation. He was more wanting to choose music similar to his idols, rather than music he wanted for himself. He was nowhere near as strong as his is now, either physically or as a performer. He's growing all the time and I think this year' s exhibition showed that the 2 could work together again with better results. I haven't loved everything Shae has done for him either but that being said I'm not sure this is the year he should be changing choreographers. Like the saying goes: If it ain't broke.... Anyway, I think Yuzu has soooo much more he is capable of bringing to the ice and, for me, it's Buttle who has been able to bring out the best in him so far. I think Jeff just *gets* him much more than the other 2, but the short program and long program are very different things... who knows what a long from Jeff would be like for him. I think music choice is key. If they get that wrong then it's a harder mountain to climb to sell it to everyone.

Another question, so yuzu's mom is always with him right? Any pictures available? I've tried googling but uncle google can't give me the results... or she has always maintain her privacy?

I think his mother is here:

15-year-old Yuzu. Mom hand-making Zigeunerweisen costume designed by Johnny Weir for his senior debut. Lots of love going into that costume. :love:

Did you spell that from memory or did you have to, like all normal human beings, copy paste it from somewhere? :rofl2:

I use Dragon NaturallySpeaking speech recognition software and "Zigeunerweisen" is one of the words that I put into the vocabulary! Are you kidding? Who could remember how to spell that!

Oh lol the choreographer talk again.

Anyway, just saying though. Choreographing LP is more difficult that choreographing SP. There are more elements to put in into, and 2 stsq (well one was a chsq but you get my gist). Especially when you choreograph for someone like Yuzuru who is very particular about how he wants to get into and out of his jumps + those other specific things he asked for. Orser said that this is one of the reason why it would be "difficult" for Yuzuru to work with someone other than Jeff and Shae.

DW created many masterpieces SP, but like Likitsu (or Joey) said, I don't recall an LP where I think it is a total masterpiece. I actually think for Jeffrey Buttle it is more or less the same, I like many of his SP but I think I have yet to really think the LP he choreographed is a masterpiece (though I have many LP which I like). He choreographed for Marin LP last season, and though I like the program, I would not say that the program is a "masterpiece" (and it is actually a bit generic).

While for Shae, I think her biggest strength as a choreographer is she make a choreography that somewhat fit the skaters' uniqueness, strength and personality. She choreographed for Yuzu, Ashley and Dai etc and to be honest if you look at her choreography for them, you would not have thought that it was choreographed by the same person. Of course once you choreographed like dozens of programs per season, there is only so many "good programs" you can pull off, and I think this is the case with DW, Lori, Tom dickson, etc and start to be the case for Jeff and Shae. I think Shae did fantastic with Wakaba's and Radionova's SP this year, and regardless of what everyone said, Yuzuru's HnL. Ashley's exogenesis was not bad too. But Rika Hongo's carmina burana is so generic, so there, there is only so much you can pull off when you choreographed for so many skaters. Regardless, Shae has proven that she could create LP masterpieces.

Who Yuzu will go to is another story though, because he probably has reasons if he eventually decide to change choreographers.

Pamigena said:
reposting myself from the announcement section :wink:

Pamigena said:
We don't have standard avatars at the forum yet, but it's on the to-do list.

Until then, HERE are some avatars you can use.

We have more planned :D Stay tuned.

Thank you pami :pbow:  there are some that I really like (now i can have monthly Yuzu ava)

liv said:
Sorry for bringing up the choreo talk again. With all the signatures, photos etc., it is very hard to read back all the pages and see what people wrote.

I think no matter what, we always come back to choreographer talk. :biggrin: That, music, and costume talk. :biggrin: I think the music announcement of some big skaters has already whet some of our appetites and now we're itching for Yuzuru's programs and next season to start. :yes: