General Yuzuru Chat

33 minutes ago, Shyn08 said:

we're going to Sydney! Im definitely ditching my family on the first day to watch the sp live though (ayyy I heard the internet is faster in Aussie so maybe it wont buffer as much...a small consolation...)

hahahaha I like how you think :tumblr_m9gcvqToXY1qzckow:but I think I have clinical placements then and I cant ditch those.... Ill just have to wait and see :tumblr_inline_ncmif7esGm1rpglid:

:consoling2:

That's why I schedule my travel plans around comps even if I only have 3 weeks of summer break and end up spending one of them screaming and crying at my laptop.

1 hour ago, kaeryth said:

Aaaaah... why the heck are they showing that medal? :tumblr_inline_ncmifiE3IT1rpglid:

I thought the same thing. I was ready to go off about how they were producing Torino knockoffs (I know that games too painfully well,; yay plush and waaah sasha):laughing: But then I was going to joke that Yuzu would then be extra motivated to have a gold medal similar to his Plu-sama. :laughing:  This might be a hint that they are revealing the medals soon though.

12 minutes ago, Danibellerika said:

I thought the same thing. I was ready to go off about how they were producing Torino knockoffs (I know that games too painfully well,; yay plush and waaah sasha):laughing: But then I was going to joke that Yuzu would then be extra motivated to have a gold medal similar to his Plu-sama. :laughing:  This might be a hint that they are revealing the medals soon though.

They better hurry up and show it because this :hachimaki: is dying to have a new phone wallpaper :rofl:

hace 21 minutos , Danibellerika said:

I think I don't care about the OGM design as long as it is on Yuzu's neck :biggrin:.

4 hours ago, KatjaThera said:

Just the other day, I read an old interview with Yuzu, from his senior debut season, in which he said his generation have to add quads, because they can't compete with the veterans otherwise. I thought that sounded familiar. The big difference, to me, was that Yuzu used quads to boost his speed a little, but never gave up on the rest. (Of course, back then "add quads" meant having 1 quad vs. having none. So BV increase wasn't that great and overall wasn't 'spectacular' enough to drag PCS up as well. ) For Yuzu, adding quads I guess was part of getting him a bit closer to the top while he worked on the rest. Of course, the true work started after he moved to Canada - and kudos, again, to Brian; I wonder if Yuzu had gone to another coach, to learn to jump quads, if they'd also said: sorry, no, skating skills first. By the time of Sochi, he was already pretty much there.

I guess the big problem with the quadsters is they don't have time. Yuzu came to the senior scene with four seasons to go. And moved to Brian with two. The quadsters came with two or one season to go. And yet they want to fight for Olympic Gold. Adding quads and increased BVs are the only way they stand a chance. I think what grates is that they don't seem to have a longer term plan and there hasn't been proof that for them, too, counting on quads is just a temporary thing, until they grow as skaters.

Shoma is probably the closest in terms of trying and aiming for the Yuzu-style of figure skating. But if he doesn't work on his jump technique, that'll be a "does he really mean it?" thing.

I've seen people say Boyang has been working on the artistic side. I haven't followed him, so I can't say, but he is fun to watch. In a way, I guess he's also the one who clearly has a longer term plan, because he'll definitely want to be there for the next Olympics. I guess consistency is his biggest issue - and probably the hardest to fix, for any skater.

Last year's FS has made Nathan the most disappointing of them. The SP proves he can do better, but if the FS doesn't improve, if he ever wins over Yuzu again - or in fact any of the others - people will talk again. I think there actually wouldn't be this much talk about piling quads upon quads if the Nathan hype and wins hadn't happened. But I guess, he has the shortest term plan and if he wants to win OG, he has no other choice. Sad though it is for the sport. (And really, Nathan getting a gold medal with an FS like last year's, so he can then quit, at 18 years of age, would probably be the worst thing for the sport right now.)

Quads are exciting, but we've pretty much reached the limit already. OK, someone might bring in the axel and then tried to make every jump a quad. Great. Then what? Quints won't happen that soon - if at all - and there would be many injuries. But there'll be no way to move further without maybe taking a few steps back, or just watch the sport slowly die by itself, as everyone does 7 quads and virtually nothing else. So, I'm not sure even politically it'd be smart to help the others beat Yuzu. (I guess they could give it to Shoma instead, but is rewarding his - apparently; I can't say anything myself - bad technique a good idea for the sport? A perfect Boyang, maybe, if his skills have truly improved, but that's a matter of luck. And I'm not sure Javi or Patrick stand a chance anymore, though I'd prefer them rounding off the podium for a silent: "Enough is enough! This is figure skating, not jump skating." message.

And I got way carried away.

I still have issues with Chopin, for personal taste reasons. I understand why he chose it - though, I admit, I might be projecting, but in the FaOI performances, he doesn't seem happy with it, to me; more like he had no other choice. Which in a way is true. For this "aim for consistency" plan, when LGC fell through, he had no other choice (PW would be overkill :P). Though now I wonder what an adult, upgraded Etude would have been like... Anyway, it is music he knows and he will probably do wonders with it anyway. But I hate seeing him apparently not so happy. But again, I might be projecting, since pretty much everyone else says they feel moved by the performances.

I don't understand why anyone would have problems with Seimei, though - beyond personal taste, again. It was a commanding program already in 2015-2016. Adding the gorgeousness of H&L and applying it to Seimei, improving it, it will probably be mind blowing.

But I think most of the worries aren't so much about Seimei, but about BV and layout and judges and the overall "repeating two programs" thing, even though those are arguably his best programs to date. It would be nice if we could stop worrying about things we can't help, but worrying about something one cares about, is another thing that can't really be helped, I think lol.

The difference is adding quads of good quality v.s. adding quads of bad quality...The latter just makes me feel bad. If someone has super bad techniques gets gold, ISU should just die...

6 minutes ago, SSS said:

The difference is adding quads of good quality v.s. adding quads of bad quality...The latter just makes me feel bad. If someone has super bad techniques gets gold, ISU should just die...

That's the thing though that bugs me about men's skating. Somewhere sometime ago, men's skating became known for it's technical difficulty along with consistent splatfests.  So it's a breath of fresh air if Yuzu does a clean FS, and the other guys minimize their splats. Then we finally will have a quadfest that is not a splatfest.

I think to a degree, that current men's skating, if you want to go super clean, the max is at 5 quads, so when the younger guys push for more than that, I cringe because it's just asking for a splatfest. :facepalm:

4 minutes ago, Xen said:

That's the thing though that bugs me about men's skating. Somewhere sometime ago, men's skating became known for it's technical difficulty along with consistent splatfests.  So it's a breath of fresh air if Yuzu does a clean FS, and the other guys minimize their splats. Then we finally will have a quadfest that is not a splatfest.

I think to a degree, that current men's skating, if you want to go super clean, the max is at 5 quads, so when the younger guys push for more than that, I cringe because it's just asking for a splatfest. :facepalm:

"Splatfest" always makes me really hungry for tomatoes. :crazyshit2: