General Yuzuru Chat

xeyra said:
Bringing this back from SC 2016 practice, which I found while going through the Media Thread compilation. He was having a hard time concentrating on his own practice with that music on; he kept trying to do the other choreo. :) 

He was totally holding back from resurrecting Romeo! Give in to the R&J 1 music Yuzu! You know you want to! I'd love to see him do the choreo again even just for fun. :love: 

liha said:
xeyra said:
Bringing this back from SC 2016 practice, which I found while going through the Media Thread compilation. He was having a hard time concentrating on his own practice with that music on; he kept trying to do the other choreo. :) 

This totally makes me want to see RJ1 performed by the current Yuzu

The 2014 Yuzu did it

and it was amazing :love:  , if the 2017 Yuzu does it I think I will die :whiteflag:

AppleEmperor said:
xeyra said:
Bringing this back from SC 2016 practice, which I found while going through the Media Thread compilation. He was having a hard time concentrating on his own practice with that music on; he kept trying to do the other choreo. :) 

Same Yuzu same. I can't listen to the same cut of RJ 1 without seeing his choreo in my head

I can't listen to any cut of it without seeing him. I don't think it favors anyone else to use it, but its popularity shows his influence.

the50-person said:

Thank you for your kind words! :grin: I'm glad it enhanced your enjoyment of Yuzu's H&L. That program needs more love! As I was doing the analysis, I was amazed at how artistically avant-garde it was in terms of narrative structure. The first half, I suspect, was probably what threw people off and made it "less appreciated", and second half was (as mentioned in the post) much more similar to a typical 'warhorse' with the drama, yet the program never deviated from its purpose of representing Yuzu's journey. It was about growth and taking flight and feeling hope, and then repeatedly seemingly losing hope but regaining it despite all odds, and then it was finally about his dominance and his legacy. Overall, it is a RISE, evident from the post. The overall big picture structure is still within the 6 traditional emotional arcs (see: https://www.google.com.sg/amp/s/www.the ... le/490733/) , but because Yuzu chose to embellish the growth part very much, it is so rich in content that people can't see the forest for the trees (AHAH forest imagery) and get so hung up about 'how hard to grasp'/'how seemingly unstructured' the first part was.

Tbh, I think he is actually doing a very intimate act by sharing his life and journey and all the bitterness and joys accompanying it. It may sound presumptuous and prolly I am overthinking it and assuming something that doesn't exist, but wouldn't only fans be able to appreciate it fully since we know deeply about his history? That might also be another reason why judges only see the surface and do not have the contextual knowledge for true enjoyment.

Good grief I can't seem to shut up, can I? :bash:

risus said:

Please don't shut up!! I really like your perspective :yes: 

I agree 100% with the intimacy of the program; it's clearly something that is more appreciable when you have emotional investment in the subject (like we all do!!). And the contextual knowledge definitely has affected the way the judges perceive it. Seimei was easier to appreciate because of the driving nature of the music, and despite it having its own fascinating context with the onmyōji, it wasn't necessary to know the entire background for it to appeal to the audience. HL is so very beautiful, but introspective which is why the full impact was experienced when he went clean.

Regarding your analysis, your allusions to the literary structure are fascinating, especially in relation to the rise and fall in the emotional arcs that you linked. I wonder if he would have chosen to do a program like HL (a redemption program, as you said 'losing hope but regaining it despite all odds') had Boston 2016 not happened? I personally think his situation after worlds was so unique ('a fall' of sorts) that had he won the FS, we would have seen something completely different this season.

I agree with you on SEIMEI. The music and intensity of SEIMEI as a character was enough to carry the whole thing, but H&L required 'acting' of a higher calibre because 'Yuzuru' and 'Yuzuru's journey' are the characters. It is harder to portray yourself and your life because you are within it and hence will find it more difficult to take an objective perspective of a real and complex person whereas SEIMEI is a fictional character put down on a script and has a finite list of traits that the actor just has to tick off and fulfill. So I feel that Yuzu's acting has also reached another level by proving himself capable of skating it clean AND moving people (except for some judges ahem) at the same time. There were some interviews where he mentioned 'acting', so he is definitey concerned about that.

Same...I wonder...but I'm actually glad (despite being sad when I see him being upset) that he has experienced all that he has. Each time he experiences something unpleasant, he gains and grows from it, and I am of the belief (yall may disagree, that's ok) that the trials and tribulations that one experiences are given because one is capable of handling it and something too big for one to handle will not come. (so failure to handle it usually is due to not being able to change perspectives)