General Yuzuru Chat

1 hour ago, nopewhy said:

I knew he had a long neck, maybe it's just me but in those photos it looks unnaturally long.

While his face looks thinner and cheek bones more prominent, I think the cut of the scoop neck on the shirt from 2015 is a smaller circle this it comes up higher on his neckline, whereas the new 24hr shirt is lower so t makes his neck seem even longer. 

I'll also chalk up this new photo as maybe being without make-up or any styling, as the older screenshot is from when he was on live TV so they probably at least put some powder on him. 

If you guys wanna have a pre-cry party for 24H TV here are links to his previous appearances to give you an idea (warning: prepare tissues).

• 2014 (with english subtitles) - Yuzuru visited Ishimaki in Miyagi Prefecture, an area struck by the 2011 Tohoku Earthquake and Tsunami. Performed R+J1.
  • 2015 - Yuzuru visited survivors of the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster living in temporary shelters. He performed Requiem of Heaven and Earth as well as Hana ni Nare.
    • Hana ni Nare: performed with Sashida Fumiya and MJC Ensemble (Minami Soma Junior Chorus - composed of children affected by the Great East Japan Great Earthquake) and watched by 100 spectators, including some inhabitants of Fukushima (with english subtitles).
  • 2016: Collaboration performance of When You Wish Upon a Star with Kumamon and skaters from the disaster-affected areas of Kumamoto. Also performed White Legend.
1 hour ago, kaerb said:

Something a little random...but did Yuzu get braces at some point? (invisible ones.....??) Because it felt like he lost his lisp and also his teeth look slightly different from when he was younger. It just occurred to me watching the 2014 video.

I think someone brought this up before and the general consensus seems to have been braces... I admit I know nothing of braces, so I can't say, but I always thought his front teeth look shorter than they did when he was younger. (I remember trying to check once, but it's kind of hard to tell. The change seemed to take place around 2013, though) So I wondered if he had them filed or so... but no idea how common that is as a procedure, either. I think beyond that his teeth were quite ok before... though they are pretty much 'Western perfect' now, so maybe he had them done in Canada... In Japan, they don't care about straight, pearly whites as much. (Actually, I'm not sure they do anywhere except the US... Not as much as in the US...)

2 hours ago, KatjaThera said:

I think someone brought this up before and the general consensus seems to have been braces... I admit I know nothing of braces, so I can't say, but I always thought his front teeth look shorter than they did when he was younger. (I remember trying to check once, but it's kind of hard to tell. The change seemed to take place around 2013, though) So I wondered if he had them filed or so... but no idea how common that is as a procedure, either. I think beyond that his teeth were quite ok before... though they are pretty much 'Western perfect' now, so maybe he had them done in Canada... In Japan, they don't care about straight, pearly whites as much. (Actually, I'm not sure they do anywhere except the US... Not as much as in the US...)

Well he definitely didn't get normal braces like Satton unless it only needed a few more months in the off season so I wonder if he did Invisalign (which are 'clear' retainer-like braces that can be removed at will). I know Japan doesn't mind crooked teeth as much but I think many JP celebrities still get their teeth straightened. I just noticed his lisp and slightly prominent teeth suddenly seemed to disappear so maybe the lisp was related to his teeth? hmm...

4 minutes ago, kaerb said:

Well he definitely didn't get normal braces like Satton unless it only needed a few more months in the off season so I wonder if he did Invisalign (which are 'clear' retainer-like braces that can be removed at will). I know Japan doesn't mind crooked teeth as much but I think many JP celebrities still get their teeth straightened. I just noticed his lisp and slightly prominent teeth suddenly seemed to disappear so maybe the lisp was related to his teeth? hmm...

I think it probably was related to his teeth... I doubt it could have been fixed that quickly otherwise. But I did think it was caused by the length of the teeth, rather than their shape. (I also only half seriously wondered if the lisp was the reason why he had them fixed... his not great English made communication in Toronto hard enough as it was, the lisp might have made it worse ^_^; And since they couldn't fix his English overnight, they did what they could... :crazyshit2:) But he might have done Invisalign as well... if he did something, might as well do it all. (And now I'll probably spend some hours trying to compare pictures and try to figure out if I'm just imagining things...)

3 minutes ago, KatjaThera said:

I think it probably was related to his teeth... I doubt it could have been fixed that quickly otherwise. But I did think it was caused by the length of the teeth, rather than their shape. (I also only half seriously wondered if the lisp was the reason why he had them fixed... his not great English made communication in Toronto hard enough as it was, the lisp might have made it worse ^_^; And since they couldn't fix his English overnight, they did what they could... :crazyshit2:) But he might have done Invisalign as well... if he did something, might as well do it all. (And now I'll probably spend some hours trying to compare pictures and try to figure out if I'm just imagining things...)

Haha :10636614: If you ever figure it out, do share your research with the rest of the planet.

3 hours ago, kaerb said:

Something a little random...but did Yuzu get braces at some point? (invisible ones.....??) Because it felt like he lost his lisp and also his teeth look slightly different from when he was younger. It just occurred to me watching the 2014 video.

I think maybe he got lingual braces that placed behind the teeth.

52 minutes ago, matchanodoame said:

Putting this under spoiler drop down since I assume someone might be waiting for theirs to arrive and don't want to be spoiled. I believe this is from the new Ice Jewel Season 2016-2017 photobook?

I need to order mine.... :10636614:

Reveal hidden contents

Yes, those pictures are from Ice Jewel Season 2016-2017 photobook!

I received mine today, and this is a really high quality book. :tumblr_inline_ncmifaymmi1rpglid:

Great photos (cute Yuzu, cool Yuzu, beautiful Yuzu, funny Yuzu, Yuzu with Pooh, Yuzu on the podium...all sorts of Yuzu), good design and layout, and I also like that all the protocols from the last season are included.

I strongly recommend this book to all of you! :tumblr_inline_n18qr7hmfk1qid2nw::tumblr_inline_n18qr7hmfk1qid2nw:

29 minutes ago, nopewhy said:

Haha :10636614: If you ever figure it out, do share your research with the rest of the planet.

OK, I didn't actually spend hours on this, but, quick research:

My current conclusion is there were two steps. One was probably braces, because in 2011 the front teeth seem a little crooked as well. The second, probably filing. As in 2012, they still seemed flat and kind of... bunny like, albeit straight, and in Sochi they were rounder and more 'pearly'.

Pictures under spoiler, because they're huge :tumblr_inline_np9uqfin9j1qid2nw_75sq:

Spoiler

2011:

yuzuru-hanyu-r-of-japan-waves-to-the-cam

Source: (doesn't actually work >.<)

2012:

yuzuru-hanyu-jpn-november-24-2012-figure

Source: Alamy

Also 2012:

stock-photo-espoo-finland-october-yuzuru

Source: Shutterstock

2014:

so20140224a3a.jpg

Source: Japan Times

2017 (Source: Getty)

Also 2017:

5895aa12495bd7570a53208d9ed6d27d.jpg

Source: https://pinterest.com/pin/112308584439052748/

2 minutes ago, daisyjune said:

Yes, those pictures are from Ice Jewel Season 2016-2017 photobook!

I received mine today, and this is a really high quality book. :tumblr_inline_ncmifaymmi1rpglid:

Great photos (cute Yuzu, cool Yuzu, beautiful Yuzu, funny Yuzu, Yuzu with Pooh, Yuzu on the podium...all sorts of Yuzu), good design and layout, and I also like that all the protocols from the last season are included.

I strongly recommend this book to all of you! :tumblr_inline_n18qr7hmfk1qid2nw::tumblr_inline_n18qr7hmfk1qid2nw:

It'll be a few more weeks until I get mine, but I can't wait now! :smiley-happy085: