General Yuzuru Chat

11 minutes ago, barbara said:

But it's in Italian!  I, for one, do not speak Italian.

I'm sure they'll post the translation,they usually do...listening to it .

Max just said Nathan won and it's fine but of course GOE are nonsense ....basically what we have been saying since last weekend.

He laso agrees about Kamila and Alysa...this is a the bit about it....keep an eye on this account for translation.

not sure what having Chinese ancestors got to do with it frankly.

4 minutes ago, mercedes said:

I'm sure they'll post the translation,they usually do...listening to it .

Max just said Nathan won and it's fine but of course GOE are nonsense ....basically what we have been saying since last weekend.

He laso agrees about Kamila and Alysa...this is a the bit about it....keep an eye on this account for translation.

I definitely don't like the part about Chinese ancestors. Sounds like racist conspiracy theory. He went way too far with his assumptions.

1 minute ago, rubyblue said:

I definitely don't like the part about Chinese ancestors. Sounds like racist conspiracy theory. He went way too far with his assumptions.

indeed....i'm listening to see how accurate the tranlsation is but yep it's america-inflated score...if Nathan or Alysa were of Mexican/Italian /whatever origins it would have been the same.

I just scrolled a bit through the comment section of the "Google Year in Search" video on YouTube.

It's so nice to see people, who didn't know Yuzu before, watching his old performances and showing their excitement and appreciation.

I wouldn't be surprised, if his fandom grew today once again. This is really great :tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw:

My guess is Max is implying that there will be (and already has been) an attempt to build a media narrative leading up to the Olympics that draws on the fact that both Nathan and Alyssa have Chinese ancestry and that the Olympics are in China. If that's the point he's making, then I agree with it because we've already seen it clearly in play with Alyssa after she won US Nationals. I think ESPN or Sports Illustrated did that entire article about her and her Chinese father. I would assume a lot of Chinese people in China could care less, but from a US audience perspective I am willing to be they will be building up a story around it as we get closer to 2022. I'm sure something similar will happen with Nathan as well, and Vincent too if they all end up in Beijing. I'm sure NBC will try to play up the Chinese American competing in China angle and that Max's tweet is more about money and advertising in the US around Chinese American athletes competing in Beijing.

1 hour ago, rubyblue said:

Simple person that I am, I only thought he was saying they are both American with Chinese ancestry. Facts. My mind just doesn't seem to go towards other reasons other than the obvious. :headslap:

4 minutes ago, liv said:

Simple person that I am, I only thought he was saying they are both American with Chinese ancestry. Facts. My mind just doesn't seem to go towards other reasons other than the obvious. :headslap:

Except that this fact is presented as the one that determines the specific treatment of mentioned athletes in their favor. 

1 hour ago, Saya said:

I, for one, didn't take Max's comment that way although I am not particularly fond of his biased commentaries. I think this thread explains my thoughts on the matter well enough:

I don't think this is how it works. IMO the Olympics being in Beijing has nothing to do with the inflation at all. It would be the same if the next Olympics were held on Mars. I also don't see how the olympics being in beijing and Nathan being Chinese-American would be bigger $$$ in the United States than if Nathan were White or any other race. In fact, the $$ would be much more if he were a photogenic ice princess like Gracie Gold for sure.

Anyway saying Nathan and Alysa get candies because they're Chinese-descent is pretty racist, even if I agree with them on other things.

2 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

I don't think this is how it works. I disagree with this tweet and believe the next Olympics being in Beijing has nothing to do with the inflation at all. It would be the same if the next Olympics were held on Mars.

I don't think anyone is arguing about that. The OP clearly stated in their tweet that "USFSA would have pushed their own skaters regardless". It's just that they are willing to play the fact that they're of chinese ancestry to their advantage to attract Chinese sponsors and maybe get a more invested Chinese/Chinese-American audience and the Olympics taking place in Beijing is the perfect stage for that.

Edit: Also, I guess I'm just not for accusing anyone of anything over an ambiguous comment and just go with the most neutral interpretation. Especially since Ambessi has always been supportive of all athletes regardless of their nationality/race. (Although he is harsher on American skaters in general haha).

4 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

I don't think this is how it works. I disagree with this tweet; IMO the Olympics being in Beijing has nothing to do with the inflation at all. It would be the same if the next Olympics were held on Mars.

I would typically agree if we don't tend to see a boost across all sports for athletes of the host countries at the Olympics. Nathan and Alysa aren't Chinese nationals and I'd be willing to say the inflation has more to do with them being American and the US' lack of singles champions at the Olympics in the last 2 cycles. We'll just have to see how things play out as we get closer to Beijing but I am willing to bet that we will hear more and more about their Chinese ancestry as PR in some way or other leading up to the games.

2 hours ago, rubyblue said:

I thought he was alluding to the fact that the next Olys are in China, but it could also be interpreted the way you have. hard to know, I don't follow Max usually so have no idea what his attitudes are.

...and I see I'm late to the discussion as usual

2 hours ago, barbara said:

Plushenko should have checked himself in a mirror before going with this costume....and, also, Yuzu has more muscle mass in one knee than I have in my entire body.

I know, right? I'm always torn between wishing I had that much fitness myself, and admiring what he has going on. 

@Geo1 So to sum up, as far as Tourism Kelowna is concerned, Yuzu is welcome back any time. :snpeace: I picture all the nice old ladies working in the tourist information center doing this :tumblr_inline_mzx8xsVPrg1r8msi5: if he ever shows up again.