General Yuzuru Chat

20 hours ago, yoloaxel said:

Brian's interview sounds a bit defensive but tbh who wouldn't be after what happened on his IG. People said horrible things to him, so it's understandable.

It sounds like a miscommunication problem, I'm pretty sure they'll resove it without too many issues back at TCC. I do think they may be going through a slightly rocky patch bc of differences in their approaches (aka Yuzu wanting to jump 4A and 5 quads layout and Brian preferring cleanliness to very high difficulty), which is probably why Yuzu picked Ghislain. I don't think anyone is guilty here.

I had that feeling that Brian would get a lot of backlash for the situation and while I don't agree with people doing that on his IG account, I can't help but wonder why did he choose to clarify the situation in an interview (thorough a journalist's words) when he could have done it in his own words with a statement on IG that could not be twisted. It seems to have made the things worse for him and it's most likely just communication issues.

Also, I remember when Yuzu came to Brian, he wanted more quads, more technical content and Brian kinda stopped him. Now Yuzu again wants more technical upgrade and Brian is more inclined to clean programs. I think that for winning (then and now), Yuzu is right. if you have the technical advantage, the others cannot catch up with you. It's enough to have one extra quad compared to the others to have 15 pts advantage. I know that Brian wants Yuzu to be the complete package (and Yuzu also wants that), but not having technical advantage forces him to be perfectly clean every time. If Yuzu doesn't go for 5 quads layout and Nathan does, he has to be super clean on everything to make up for the BV points difference and even like this is pretty sure he can't win with the way the scores are given these days. Yuzu sees the direction things are going and wants to be prepared, like when he was training the 4L and the 4Lz. Brian did not fully agree then and he might not be now with the 4A, but I trust Yuzu's judgement.

1 hour ago, vd_turnan said:

I had that feeling that Brian would get a lot of backlash for the situation and while I don't agree with people doing that on his IG account, I can't help but wonder why did he choose to clarify the situation in an interview (thorough a journalist's words) when he could have done it in his own words with a statement on IG that could not be twisted. It seems to have made the things worse for him and it's most likely just communication issues.

Also, I remember when Yuzu came to Brian, he wanted more quads, more technical content and Brian kinda stopped him. Now Yuzu again wants more technical upgrade and Brian is more inclined to clean programs. I think that for winning (then and now), Yuzu is right. if you have the technical advantage, the others cannot catch up with you. It's enough to have one extra quad compared to the others to have 15 pts advantage. I know that Brian wants Yuzu to be the complete package (and Yuzu also wants that), but not having technical advantage forces him to be perfectly clean every time. If Yuzu doesn't go for 5 quads layout and Nathan does, he has to be super clean on everything to make up for the BV points difference and even like this is pretty sure he can't win with the way the scores are given these days. Yuzu sees the direction things are going and wants to be prepared, like when he was training the 4L and the 4Lz. Brian did not fully agree then and he might not be now with the 4A, but I trust Yuzu's judgement.

With the way scoring works, a clean yuzu will not beat a clean nathan with the same amount of quads. if you think otherwise, ur very optimistic because when the two execute the same elements, yuzu gets higher goe on lower bv elements like the 3a while nathan gets higher on 4lz. And the PCS gap is closing to none. In fact, eventually Nathan will get higher PCS when the two go clean due to consistency. just like how it went between evgenia and alina from 17/18 season to 18/19 season. its a pattern. So the only way yuzu could win when both go clean is upping his tech bv and consistently doing so. but even so the narrative could change to yuzu becoming just a jumper and his performance is affected :emoticonaci2019:

15 minutes ago, vd_turnan said:

To say Brian stopped Yuzu from getting new quads when he went to Toronto is over simplifying things. Also, Yuzu did add the 4S to his FS after moving to Toronto, even though it was more miss than hit in competitions and it continued being unstable for another season.

Back to the first thing, Brian stopped him because he believe that getting the best possible skating skills was more essential. Not just because Brian is obsessed with skating skills, but because high skating skills give the skater better control and make it possible to execute elements more effortlessly. So, the skating skills improvement wasn't just to up Yuzu's PCS, but also to aid his jumping and generally make things as easy for him as possible, stamina-wise (since we were talking about stamina and asthma not long ago, too). It took time, of course, but Yuzu recognized the merit in it. It also proved right to do skating skills first, and work on jumps second, because while improving his skating skills, Yuzu initially lost his jumps, because he had much higher speed going into jumps, because of the better skating technique, and would lose control on the landing and had to re-learn how to time things. If he'd worked on getting more quads first, well, first of all, he probably wouldn't have been able to do them because of stamina. Then he probably would have ended up in a situation like Boyang's. Who first went for the jumps and then started on the skating skills and as we can see, he's still struggling with both. Ok, maybe Yuzu's natural talent and the fact that he already had a pretty good base, would have prevented things from being that bad, but it still shows that the proper order of doing things is the one Brian recommended.

On top of that, Yuzu has always been prone to injury. We talk about NHK '17 and COR'18, but when Yuzu sprained his ankle at worlds 2012, he mentioned having a long-term injury with that right ankle (I forgot the exact term, sorry). And we know of at least 3 or 4 other instances when he sprained it (Worlds 13, COC'14 and again in practice while rushing to recover from another issue in 2015 or 2016, forgot which). I don't blame Brian for thinking adding quads is not worth the risk if they're unnecessary. I agree that Yuzu was right about 4Lo and 4Lz and that he foresaw the quad battle when few people ever did only goes to further show how amazing he is. And Brian did relent on the 4Lo, after he understood Yuzu's reasoning: wanting to stabilize it ahead of the Olympic season., and wanting to get it stabilized before re-focusing on the whole package, because jumps are part of the whole package. I think it was after that that Brian handed the reigns to Yuzu, because he realized Yuzu had his own ideas, views, goals and plans to achieve them, while he became support. I'm sure Brian tells Yuzu whenever he thinks something is a bad idea and I'm sure Yuzu listens to his views, even if he might not agree with them. The way they work is very admirable, but by now, Yuzu is in charge and Brian has made it clear that Yuzu makes all the decisions himself. I'm sure Brian - and Tracy and Ghislain - advises him, but at the end of the day, the decision is Yuzu's. So I really don't think we need to add any concerns of Brian holding Yuzu back technically on top of everything else.

Yuzu still won Sochi at least in part due to his higher technical level at the time. He was hated by Patrick and Dai fans then, for being all about jumps and technique and not having high artistry and PCS. He also still won Pyeongchang with only 4S and 4T - as both Brian and Plush said he could; although it's likely he would have needed the 4Lo, if Nathan had been clean. He is still adding 4Lz and working on 4A and 4F at 25, improving more than all his peers technically, too. And his jumps actually have proper technique, too.

The main reason Yuzu didn't have 4Lz and 4Lo as an advantage was his tumultuous career. He was jumping clean 4Lo after Sochi. But the post-Olympic season was riddled with injury and illness, there was no way he could work on incorporating the 4Lo. The following season was the foot injury, from beginning to the end, plus the pressure. Not much chance for 4Lo either. Then he did add the 4Lo, but it was the pre-Olympic season already and others were doing 4Lz and 4F already. He recognized the threat and pushed for 4Lz in Oly season as well. Brian was not happy, but let him make the decision. We all know what happened - though I still don't blame that on the 4Lz. That injury and then the one on the 4Lo set him back again, so he couldn't go after the 4Lz and 4A after Olys either. But he is doing it now. And also, his technical advantage WAS the quality of his jumps and skating in general. Remember, the overall SP+FS record of 330 was set with nothing but squeaky clean, super high quality 4T, 4S and 3A only, and only 2 quads in the SP and 3 in the FS. And it stood the barrage of 4Lo, 4Lz, 4F. And the only reason it fell now is because of the unfair scoring. BUT even so, it took 5 quads, 2 3As, 4Lz and 4F and unfair scoring with undeservedly high GOE and PCS to beat it. That should tell you just how high Yuzu's quality advantage was. Even Javi, who got high PCS and pretty high GOE as well, training at the same rink, never really got close to that score.

I do think Brian never thought the scoring discrepancy would ever become this ridiculous, which is, admittedly, naive. In a normal world, Yuzu's quality advantage would trump others' technical advantage. But it's sadly not a normal world anymore, so Yuzu's working on Nessie - out of necessity, too, not just to make his childhood dreams come true.

15 minutes ago, makebelieveup said:

With the way scoring works, a clean yuzu will not beat a clean nathan with the same amount of quads. if you think otherwise, ur very optimistic because when the two execute the same elements, yuzu gets higher goe on lower bv elements like the 3a while nathan gets higher on 4lz. And the PCS gap is closing to none. In fact, eventually Nathan will get higher PCS when the two go clean due to consistency. just like how it went between evgenia and alina from 17/18 season to 18/19 season. its a pattern. So the only way yuzu could win when both go clean is upping his tech bv and consistently doing so. but even so the narrative could change to yuzu become just a jumper and his performance is affected :emoticonaci2019:

I fully agree, that's why I believe Yuzu is right to up the quad content vs Brian who wants clean programs. I'm always amazed that he has such a clear vision of what's to come, even if injuries sometimes hinder his plans.

I can't listen to the never-ending complaints about the Pooh rain anymore.

Seriously: If the ISU himself has no problem to make a gigantic ribbon rain in the EX gala, which is like a 100 times more dangerous for the skaters, they cannot say ANYTHING against the Pooh rain. Full stop.

17 minutes ago, KatjaThera said:

To say Brian stopped Yuzu from getting new quads when he went to Toronto is over simplifying things. Also, Yuzu did add the 4S to his FS after moving to Toronto, even though it was more miss than hit in competitions and it continued being unstable for another season.

Back to the first thing, Brian stopped him because he believe that getting the best possible skating skills was more essential. Not just because Brian is obsessed with skating skills, but because high skating skills give the skater better control and make it possible to execute elements more effortlessly. So, the skating skills improvement wasn't just to up Yuzu's PCS, but also to aid his jumping and generally make things as easy for him as possible, stamina-wise (since we were talking about stamina and asthma not long ago, too). It took time, of course, but Yuzu recognized the merit in it. It also proved right to do skating skills first, and work on jumps second, because while improving his skating skills, Yuzu initially lost his jumps, because he had much higher speed going into jumps, because of the better skating technique, and would lose control on the landing and had to re-learn how to time things. If he'd worked on getting more quads first, well, first of all, he probably wouldn't have been able to do them because of stamina. Then he probably would have ended up in a situation like Boyang's. Who first went for the jumps and then started on the skating skills and as we can see, he's still struggling with both. Ok, maybe Yuzu's natural talent and the fact that he already had a pretty good base, would have prevented things from being that bad, but it still shows that the proper order of doing things is the one Brian recommended.

On top of that, Yuzu has always been prone to injury. We talk about NHK '17 and COR'18, but when Yuzu sprained his ankle at worlds 2012, he mentioned having a long-term injury with that right ankle (I forgot the exact term, sorry). And we know of at least 3 or 4 other instances when he sprained it (Worlds 13, COC'14 and again in practice while rushing to recover from another issue in 2015 or 2016, forgot which). I don't blame Brian for thinking adding quads is not worth the risk if they're unnecessary. I agree that Yuzu was right about 4Lo and 4Lz and that he foresaw the quad battle when few people ever did only goes to further show how amazing he is. And Brian did relent on the 4Lo, after he understood Yuzu's reasoning: wanting to stabilize it ahead of the Olympic season., and wanting to get it stabilized before re-focusing on the whole package, because jumps are part of the whole package. I think it was after that that Brian handed the reigns to Yuzu, because he realized Yuzu had his own ideas, views, goals and plans to achieve them, while he became support. I'm sure Brian tells Yuzu whenever he thinks something is a bad idea and I'm sure Yuzu listens to his views, even if he might not agree with them. The way they work is very admirable, but by now, Yuzu is in charge and Brian has made it clear that Yuzu makes all the decisions himself. I'm sure Brian - and Tracy and Ghislain - advises him, but at the end of the day, the decision is Yuzu's. So I really don't think we need to add any concerns of Brian holding Yuzu back technically on top of everything else.

Yuzu still won Sochi at least in part due to his higher technical level at the time. He was hated by Patrick and Dai fans then, for being all about jumps and technique and not having high artistry and PCS. He also still won Pyeongchang with only 4S and 4T - as both Brian and Plush said he could; although it's likely he would have needed the 4Lo, if Nathan had been clean. He is still adding 4Lz and working on 4A and 4F at 25, improving more than all his peers technically, too. And his jumps actually have proper technique, too.

The main reason Yuzu didn't have 4Lz and 4Lo as an advantage was his tumultuous career. He was jumping clean 4Lo after Sochi. But the post-Olympic season was riddled with injury and illness, there was no way he could work on incorporating the 4Lo. The following season was the foot injury, from beginning to the end, plus the pressure. Not much chance for 4Lo either. Then he did add the 4Lo, but it was the pre-Olympic season already and others were doing 4Lz and 4F already. He recognized the threat and pushed for 4Lz in Oly season as well. Brian was not happy, but let him make the decision. We all know what happened - though I still don't blame that on the 4Lz. That injury and then the one on the 4Lo set him back again, so he couldn't go after the 4Lz and 4A after Olys either. But he is doing it now. And also, his technical advantage WAS the quality of his jumps and skating in general. Remember, the overall SP+FS record of 330 was set with nothing but squeaky clean, super high quality 4T, 4S and 3A only, and only 2 quads in the SP and 3 in the FS. And it stood the barrage of 4Lo, 4Lz, 4F. And the only reason it fell now is because of the unfair scoring. BUT even so, it took 5 quads, 2 3As, 4Lz and 4F and unfair scoring with undeservedly high GOE and PCS to beat it. That should tell you just how high Yuzu's quality advantage was. Even Javi, who got high PCS and pretty high GOE as well, training at the same rink, never really got close to that score.

I do think Brian never thought the scoring discrepancy would ever become this ridiculous, which is, admittedly, naive. In a normal world, Yuzu's quality advantage would trump others' technical advantage. But it's sadly not a normal world anymore, so Yuzu's working on Nessie - out of necessity, too, not just to make his childhood dreams come true.

Of course I'm referring to the way things are now. He needs the tech to win now. PCS and GOEs are not enough, no matter how squeaky clean he is. what's in between jumps doesn't matter anymore for the judges. I don't want to compare to GPF 2015 results, because that was other scoring. That record will forever be there.

It astonishes me that Brian could not foresee what would happen eventually, when he saw the advent of the quad era 20 years ago and in that time if you had a quad you would have been marked above the rest, even in the 6.0 system. I'm more astonished that even after it has happened, Brian could still be naive to think that a clean skate can win over a more technical one.

Considering all you've said, I somehow feel sorry for Boyang, because after having the jumps he tried to improve his skills and it cost him the jumps when he could have just skated as before and get the good grades (not as good as you get for being american or russian, but still...)

18 hours ago, rubyblue said:

Because it's hyper risky so they don't want to make a harm considering they don't have such a power and connections to play it like RusFed. But I definitely don't think that they do nothing. They do opposite - take every occasion to say how unique Yuzu is, how great his skating skills and transitions are etc. They use positive narration to play (what I personally appreciate). For example, in my opinnion, Tracy did an amazing job at Skate Canada with her commentary.

Except for when they don't, like after the worlds this year... when they pointed out what Yuzu needs to improve while at the same time praising his rival for improving his SS so much.

4 hours ago, BWOZWaltz said:

Yeah the exact photo I was thinking bout when I was reading @rockstaryuzu's comment.  But I didn't want to disturb innocent fanyus so I didn't post but you did! Btw, Australians call speedo budgie smuggler and don't side eye me that's true! :D 

I found out the word "budgie smuggler" from OzzyMan reviews on youtube :rofl:, sometimes he has celebrity interview videos in which he asks the celebrity about Australian slangs, it's always amusing to see the celebs' faces when they find out what it means :rofl::rofl: