General Yuzuru Chat

2 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Why, why, why did you use this turn of phrase? My brain went some really strange places on that one. :ninja::rofl3:

Joking apart, at least in a Speedo we'd get to see just how big those thigh muscles really are. In a spirit of academic inquiry, I mean. 0:)

Academic inquiry, indeed.

As if Doug Haw could stop TSL from gossiping. Brian and Ghislain have been friends forever - Brian nearly lost his life because of Ghislain when they were both young, and he held no grudges, Brian was best man at Ghislain’s wedding, so this breakup over jealousy for the best student’s affections and preferences is just too petty. 

2 minutes ago, Fay said:

As if Doug Haw could stop TSL from gossiping. Brian and Ghislain have been friends forever - Brian nearly lost his life because of Ghislain when they were both young, and he held no grudges, Brian was best man at Ghislain’s wedding, so this breakup over jealousy for the best student’s affections and preferences is just too petty. 

One of the main attractions TSL has is 

1. They do long discussions, ones where they explore skaters in depth, in detail

2. They both know the sport, they know the sport history and they know the politics behind the sport, which makes it interesting to hear from a newbie perspective.

As long as TSL exists, and as long as no rival podcast can get into the level of depth, length as TSL, it will always have an audience.

And to be honest, whilst I dislike them for their gossiping, it is also the main reasons why I can't stop listening. They have all these opinions that have no weight, but I'm already addicted to watching all their competition reviews for some reason. 

1 minute ago, Fay said:

Someone I chatted with once likened it to a relationship with your dad vs your cool uncle. Yuzu was put under Brian's care when he was 17 (a kid), and I recall in some very old interviews/documentaries, he had once said that Brian was in charge of his entire training regime - what to do when, etc. and Brian called all the shots. In comparison, it sounds like Ghislain's first care of Yuzu was in 2014, and we know it's only around 2016 that they started working very closely together. By then, Yuzu was more independent in making his own choices regarding his training and had ideas of his own to share. Plus, he and Ghislain are apparently a match made in nerdy jump biomechanics heaven. So, I think Brian feels more like an authority figure, vs. Ghislain feels like that teddy bear friend you call to bail you out of trouble. I don't think one is a better or closer relationship than the other; they're just different relationships and hold a different significance in Yuzu's life, just like you wouldn't say your relationship with your dad is better or worse than your favourite uncle; it's just not the same dynamic, that's all. 

Doug Haw may not be able to stop TSL from gossiping, but clearly Brian and the Cricket Club know that he's been speaking to TSL. I'm sure if he wanted to Brian could turn to Doug and tell him to stop (why they have allowed this to continue since last season is beyond me), or stop feeding Doug info to relay to TSL. Likewise, I don't understand what Brian hopes to gain by giving the type of interview he did to Phil Hersh of all people about the subject of why he wasn't at the GPF. To me, what he said just makes it the look like whole team and club were not on the same page when it came to preparation for the GPF, whatever happened there I hope all sides learn from it.

Either way, Brian and Ghislain have a long and strong friendship as Fay mentioned (saw them casually having lunch together between practices at Skate Canada and they seemed as chummy as friends would be). I think Yuzu and Brian have a much more professional relationship, although I do think they have their own unique bond just like Yuzu had with Javi despite the fact that they didn't really hang out outside the rink. Is it the same type of bond that Brian had with Javi or that Yuzu has with Ghislain? Probably not. Does it need to be? Not really, so long as everyone is professional and keeps the skaters best interest in mind.

9 hours ago, fyere0 said:

Maybe Yuzuru doesn't want them to, because it would look like he himself is complaining. We know he has people waiting eagerly for any reason to attack his character and call him a whiner

This is the biggest problem in figure skating at the moment. The judges are presented as impeccable experts who's decisions must not be questioned, no matter what. Any complaint about scoring is equal to 'whining', legit or not. Western countries always pride themselves of being democratic and open to people's opinions. However, figure skating judges are untouchable. Seriously, this is nothing but a dictatorship.

ISU refuses to split the panel into expert groups, ISU refuses to develop and implement objective measurement tools, ISU ignores any kind of complaint about scores that violate their own rulebook. Instead they put judges, who were banned for biased scoring in the past, back into the panel. Excellent. :clapping-smiley:

In Tennis every player can challenge the referee's decision. Not only once but trice. Does that mean, the player is a whiny loser? No, it's just natural that errors happen in realtime judging. That doesn't undermine the referee's authority and reputation at all. On the other hand it puts a judge into very bad light, if he or she notoriously over- or underscores certain skaters in every single competition and the skater has no right to defend him- or herself.

It’s NBC employing Hersh to extract sound bites from TCC.  I don’t think one needs any more information than that.  As for TSL, there is an unpleasant vulpine avidity with which they pick over their scraps of information that I find deeply distasteful whether or not there eventually turns out to be a grain of truth in whatever they dig up.  If they are trying to sow seeds of discord in a friendship as old as that of BO and GB then that is just despicable.

From the moment Yuzuru went to Canada there was a hysterical element who were sure it would be disastrous, and a hard core still flips out every time there is the slightest suggestion of discord and NBC is probably poking at this soft spot , TSL regularly does so.  Yuzuru chose to go to Canada, to a very different country from his own for the sake of his training, at a young age.  He’s stayed there presumably because it works for him - if it didn’t I’m sure adult Yuzuru would be just as resolute in making the best decision for his skating career as the teenager was.  I do think that TCC could probably do with a PR rep from the generation to whom social media is as natural as breathing to do the media stuff and let the coaches do what they do best.

8 hours ago, quadaxelwin said:

Yuzu once said in 2015 Asaichi he is allergic to alcohol. So why would Yuzu need a pink band during banquet anyway?

😆

On the side note about ice shows next year. Maybe what Yuzu needs is a break during off season. Doing Faoi shows back to back and not having summer break at all might be a heavy toll and heavy schedule. Or maybe he should focus on training 4A in summer? I think shows in Japan are great, i would love him to do Continue with Wings again. 

But Faoi national tour seems a bit too much sometimes.. 

I guess everyone got a pink band at the entrace if they were over 18 years old - no matter if they intended to drink alcohol at the banquet or not.

And about next summer: no one knows what his schedule will be or whether he will do Fantasy on Ice next year. Tokyo Olympics is in the summer so there's that, and his schedule is usually pretty busy anyway.

9 minutes ago, mokjakarma said:

Infuriating how they can make a gossipy article titled trouble in paradise but I can't find any article from nbc about the sexual abuse allegations against Morgan Cipres. He's an olympian too, isn't he? 

Eta: please correct me if im wrong and nbc does have an article on that case. 

It's still early days...so far the only news is that an investigation has been launched. Might not be enough for NBC to jump on yet.  But yes, it would seem more consequential of a story than Hersh's gossip hunting