General Yuzuru Chat

1 hour ago, Umebachi said:

My Iranian friend sent me this video which examines the camerawork and overall direction by Akira Kurosawa.  The level of detailed attention to all the different aspects of movie-making - from movements of individuals and groups to the use of nature as an integral part of the composition.  This reminded me of the pathway taken by Hanyu-senshu in continuing to refine every movement in his performance and embue it with emotional content through absolute technical control supporting his natural artistic flair.   

I found it particularly instructive to see the comparison of Kurosawa's filming technique with the scene from a recent Avengers film (don't know which - I don't watch them).  Despite the megamillion production facility, the supposedly dramatic scene appears wooden and clumsy, with unimaginative camerawork showing no understanding of how to create emotional connection with the audience.  A familiar feeling: fancy technique over artistry, masquerading as a masterpiece. 

@Henni147 Since you have been doing great video production - I would love to hear your views! 

Fun fact time: Nomura Mansai (aka Seimei) made his film debut in Kurosawa's last film, Ran

2 minutes ago, Tabby said:

I think they meant physically old lol they said they could see the difference between young (Nathan) and old (Yuzu) because apparently Yuzu bends his knees too much when he lands...

Honestly, there's no point trying to make sense of it since there isn't any sense. I guess the propoganda has set in, since now some people think stiff knees is the way lmao

I saw that too and I'd say there's a reason why the person who said it only has two followers. But yes, unfortunately we're going to hear more and more of this stuff now.

1 minute ago, Tabby said:

I think they meant physically old lol they said they could see the difference between young (Nathan) and old (Yuzu) because apparently Yuzu bends his knees too much when he lands...

Honestly, there's no point trying to make sense of it since there isn't any sense. I guess the propoganda has set in, since now some people think stiff knees is the way lmao

:sigh::sigh::sigh:

LORD HELP US ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*slightly OT*

Spoiler

....it makes me wonder now though about how those skaters with stiff knees still have their knees intact up to this point. I mean, with the knees being stiff, the landing knee ends up absorbing more impact from the landing force — and if it happens often enough it could really increase injury risk from the repetitive strain.

That just baffles me o_O

5 minutes ago, Vulnavia said:

I saw that too and I'd say there's a reason why the person who said it only has two followers. But yes, unfortunately we're going to hear more and more of this stuff now.

But is it anything new? People have said crap like that for ages...and if it weren't for his deep knee bend landings, Yuzu would not be able to save as many jumps as he does.

Spoiler

I mean, with the knees being stiff, the landing knee ends up absorbing more impact from the landing force — and if it happens often enough it could really increase injury risk from the repetitive strain.

@Figure_Frenzy I'm not a physiotherapist, but biomechanically, I think landing with stiff knees would actually cause you hip and back problems because more of the force of the jump gets transferred up your leg. A deep knee bend actually absorbs and distributes the shock.

18 minutes ago, Tabby said:

LMFAO that's so silly ... I honestly think the deep knee bends make the jumps look nicer anyway....Nathan's landings always look so stiff and unnatural (not just Nathan of course, any stiff landers look that way to me)

17 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

But is it anything new? People have said crap like that for ages...and if it weren't for his deep knee bend landings, Yuzu would not be able to save as many jumps as he does.

Reveal hidden contents

I mean, with the knees being stiff, the landing knee ends up absorbing more impact from the landing force — and if it happens often enough it could really increase injury risk from the repetitive strain.

@Figure_Frenzy I'm not a physiotherapist, but biomechanically, I think landing with stiff knees would actually cause you hip and back problems because more of the force of the jump gets transferred up your leg. A deep knee bend actually absorbs and distributes the shock.

Not an expert either. But that would be my guess as well. The softer deeper knee bend would allow you to absorb more slowly (relatively speaking. Its still darn fast). Whereas stiff knees just jolt you to a halt.

18 minutes ago, mokjakarma said:

I haven't gotten over GPF yet and there's already a countdown to the next comp :embSwan:

Oh I know the feeling. I was just thinking I need to check the date of JNats 'cause they must be coming up and here we are. Countdown begun.

At least I have holiday shopping to distract me.... Actually no reverse that I need skating to distract me from holiday stress.

Just leaving this here is case anyone hasn't seen it. We've all done so much hand-wringing over the GPF results but he himself sounds remarkably matter-of-fact and even sanguine about it:

@holina for some reason, I could picture him as a surfer. I don't know why, maybe he just has that slightly off-beat character. And yes, the mental image is very :10742290:

11 hours ago, Veveco said:

I have translated the article on Ghislain. Apologies for any unintended butchering of English grammar :peekapooh:

Hide contents

G8feEVe.jpg

OijSMi6.jpg

nvX7DWR.jpg

JuzvGJJ.jpg

8JqngAr.jpg

6YjIqxB.jpg

4sANFob.jpg

Edit: there's a mistake in my transcript, the diagnostic was in 2008, not 2018. Sorry :13877886:

Thank you so much for this. I've been wanting to learn more about ghislain. Unfortunately when I try to google him I fall down the rabbit hole  of endless yuzu k&c or practice videos. Not a bad way to spend the day.