General Yuzuru Chat

25 minutes ago, river said:

I thought I read somewhere he can’t swim, but I’m not totally sure where I saw it. Swimming would definitely be easier on the knees and ankles, but it gets rough on your shoulders if you do enough of it - I had a friend who was training for the Olympic trials and had a career-ending rotator cuff injury. And I’m not sure what sort of water treatment they use at TCC - if they use chlorine as opposed to salt water, then that could potentially be an airway irritant. It always was for me back in my competitive swimming days and I don’t have any underlying airway disease. Also, while it’s possible to swim with his build, he’s definitely not buoyant to start with.

But if he wanted to learn to swim, I think @rockstaryuzu and I would be more than happy to teach him. Just say the word, Yuzu!

Edit: the article I’m reading about exercise in patients with asthma says “children with asthma can participate in sports at any level (including the Olympics) with proper treatment.” Well, yeah, obviously. 

I think one of the reasons given for why Yuzu can't swim is the very low body fat percentage he has. But asthma might also play a part. I'm not sure, but I guess there are different types of asthma and probably different degrees of how bad it is. Given how out of breath Yuzu used to be from skating, it's possible swimming could also be exhausting and I don't think panting in water is recommended. On top of that, the chlorine could be bad. But no real idea... I actually can't swim either lol I do remember he said he can't swim, though, but I don't remember the context (maybe it was that Ghana event, with him and the three actresses?)

Am now randomly wondering if watching Yowamushi pedal might have made him want to start learning how to ride a bike lol If so, maybe someone should recommend Free to him, so he'd get into wanting to swim, too lol (I've never watched Free, though, so I have no idea if it has a similar feel to Yowamushi... which I did start watching, out of pure curiosity and it has so far only made me wonder about Yuzu's taste in characters LOL)

1 hour ago, river said:

I thought I read somewhere he can’t swim, but I’m not totally sure where I saw it. Swimming would definitely be easier on the knees and ankles, but it gets rough on your shoulders if you do enough of it - I had a friend who was training for the Olympic trials and had a career-ending rotator cuff injury. And I’m not sure what sort of water treatment they use at TCC - if they use chlorine as opposed to salt water, then that could potentially be an airway irritant. It always was for me back in my competitive swimming days and I don’t have any underlying airway disease. Also, while it’s possible to swim with his build, he’s definitely not buoyant to start with.

But if he wanted to learn to swim, I think @rockstaryuzu and I would be more than happy to teach him. Just say the word, Yuzu!

Edit: the article I’m reading about exercise in patients with asthma says “children with asthma can participate in sports at any level (including the Olympics) with proper treatment.” Well, yeah, obviously. 

The whole asthma-sports connection makes me laugh. Half my swim team had asthma - their doctors recommended they swim to improve it! (Humid environment = good for lungs, I guess). 

Yuzu's definitely not the first Olympian with asthma and he won't be the last. 

And yes, I have taught many adults how to swim and would be delighted to help Yuzu with that. That being said, swimming is big as an elementary school exercise in Japan. I'd be very surprised if he'd never had lessons at all, not even through his school. 

But I suspect Yuzu would prefer to build his stamina by doing runthroughs and laps around the rink.

5 hours ago, Veveco said:

I started translating the whole article because it is really nice indeed. I'll share when I'm done (it was too long to finish in one go) :reading:

I had been curious about Ghislain's backstory for a while so this was really interesting. 

I was really proud of myself for managing to read the whole thing in French! Not as out of practice as I thought.

I agree - two of my children, my husband and one of my siblings have asthma and swimming is really quite aggressively encouraged in the uk.   However if your asthma is accompanied by allergies as is the case with one of my children, the chlorine can be a problem.  Also the body fat percentage is a problem for buoyancy- there is a documentary about Kenzo Shirai at NSSU with a bit showing him trying hard to pass the swimming component of his course and struggling to stay afloat 

3 hours ago, Henni147 said:

I promised you to upload a compilation of Yuzu's performances at CiONTU 2018 before the GPF, but totally forgot about it in all the excitement :dontdothistome:

EDIT: Get that. +22 minutes pure skating without a single jump. I can watch it in loop.

Well, here it is (720p):

Thank you very much. All your videos are great. I saw them all :-) already few months ago...

3 hours ago, Veveco said:

I have translated the article on Ghislain. Apologies for any unintended butchering of English grammar :peekapooh:

Hide contents

G8feEVe.jpg

OijSMi6.jpg

nvX7DWR.jpg

JuzvGJJ.jpg

8JqngAr.jpg

6YjIqxB.jpg

4sANFob.jpg

Edit: there's a mistake in my transcript, the diagnostic was in 2008, not 2018. Sorry :13877886:

félicitation pour cette traduction.

vous avez mon admiration pour ce travail.

Bravo

2 hours ago, Sombreuil said:

I agree - two of my children, my husband and one of my siblings have asthma and swimming is really quite aggressively encouraged in the uk.   However if your asthma is accompanied by allergies as is the case with one of my children, the chlorine can be a problem.  Also the body fat percentage is a problem for buoyancy- there is a documentary about Kenzo Shirai at NSSU with a bit showing him trying hard to pass the swimming component of his course and struggling to stay afloat 

I have to agree about body composition being a factor. One of my most spectacular learn-to-swim failures is my brother, who is a Nordic skier/rugby player/rock climber. From the start he would sink like a stone no matter what we tried because of his high muscle density and low body fat. He eventually learned to compensate by kicking more and adjusting his body position but it was a struggle. 

Yuzu's sinking point would definitely be his thighs - he's got so much muscle and bone with no floaty body fat at all. Swimming would be a lot of effort for him, is my guess. 

21 hours ago, Whee1000 said:

I know I don’t know what he is “really” like but well, his demeanor so far is quite civil and appreciative of the great athletes he competes against. 

"...by universal custom, your enemy is never more polite than when he is planning or has planned your destruction."

A character in James Clavell's novel, "Shogun"

My Iranian friend sent me this video which examines the camerawork and overall direction by Akira Kurosawa.  The level of detailed attention to all the different aspects of movie-making - from movements of individuals and groups to the use of nature as an integral part of the composition.  This reminded me of the pathway taken by Hanyu-senshu in continuing to refine every movement in his performance and embue it with emotional content through absolute technical control supporting his natural artistic flair.   

I found it particularly instructive to see the comparison of Kurosawa's filming technique with the scene from a recent Avengers film (don't know which - I don't watch them).  Despite the megamillion production facility, the supposedly dramatic scene appears wooden and clumsy, with unimaginative camerawork showing no understanding of how to create emotional connection with the audience.  A familiar feeling: fancy technique over artistry, masquerading as a masterpiece. 

@Henni147 Since you have been doing great video production - I would love to hear your views! 

15 hours ago, MatchaBeans said:

According to the ISU profile page, Yuzu only practices 10 hours a week.

Practice low season: 10 h/week Toronto/CAN
Practice high season: 10 h/week Toronto/CAN

I could not believe this when I first saw it. Most skaters do around 28-30hrs/week. Then I came across a couple of interviews, which sort of confirmed it. He said he practices so little to the point where he got told to practice more LMAO. Tracy also said that he does not spend too much time on ice but he is very focused when he does, so it's OK. 

I too can't see ballet background in Nathan. On the contrary, I would have thought Yuzu had it as he is built for it. Long limbs, long neck and all. He would look absolutely stunning in a tutu! :dancingpooh:

When my wife and I were guests at the TCC on the Monday following the 2019 ACI, Yuzu came in for what Ghislain described as a "short practice" and skated for an hour. So it's probably true that he usually skates a couple of hours a day.

48 minutes ago, Tabby said:

I really just had to read someone on twitter say that Yuzu got less GOE on his jumps because he had deep knee bend on his landings, thus showing his 'oldness' lmao what??

46 minutes ago, mokjakarma said:

They must be really young to have no idea what aging does to joints and bones. 

Maybe they meant "old-fashioned way" instead of being physically old...?

Which might really mean they were that ignorant and the *propaganda* has already set in even if only the initial stage or... just plain misguided right from the start.:knc_brian3:

:sigh: lord help us all from this propaganda creeping in... btw if they meant "old-fashioned" then it would actually be rather sad, because Ted (despite his recent shortcomings like praising the ladies' quads or promoting the ISU awards) is still cognizant enough of the importance of deep knee bends, otherwise he wouldn't gush on Shun Sato's deep knee bend during JGPF.

6 minutes ago, Figure_Frenzy said:

Maybe they meant "old-fashioned way" instead of being physically old...

Which might really mean they were that ignorant and the *propaganda* has already set in even if only the initial stage or... just plain misguided right from the start.:knc_brian3:

:sigh: lord help us all from this propaganda creeping in... btw if they meant "old-fashioned" then it would actually be rather sad, because Ted (despite his recent shortcomings like praising the ladies' quads or promoting the ISU awards) is still cognizant enough of the importance of deep knee bends, otherwise he wouldn't gush on Shun Sato's deep knee bend during JGPF.

I think they meant physically old lol they said they could see the difference between young (Nathan) and old (Yuzu) because apparently Yuzu bends his knees too much when he lands...

Honestly, there's no point trying to make sense of it since there isn't any sense. I guess the propoganda has set in, since now some people think stiff knees is the way lmao