General Yuzuru Chat

35 minutes ago, GraceAndPower said:

Skipping the million pages I still have to read for now, cos I had an idea I just needed to share! Hope it hasn't been posted yet. Hold on to your hats, it's pretty crazy!

I know the axel is Yuzu's dream, but they've told us several times now that quints are easier than the A4... So if he has a quint ready (a big "if", I know...) as well as a sufficient lead to be able to afford having an element count for 0 points, I think he should jump the 5T at Jnats.

Crazy?! Hear me out:

• what a surprise that would be! "Coming out of nowhere" indeed... He'd terrify the rest of the field, and I know I'm always here for that! :smiley-devil:
  • that would make a TON of noise, he'd become even more of a legend than he currently is, and that might make it harder for the ISU to continue their current BS? Imagine the scandal...
  • mostly, it would force the judges to assign values to quints, of course. Maybe even in time for Worlds, or am I dreaming? How fast or slow are they with that kind of thing? He needs to jump it early enough, if he wants it to be counted when it counts... Which is why I think he should deploy it before the A4.
  • and finally, it would reinforce the narrative (AKA the truth, in this case) that the 4A truly is the hardest jumps of all. So again, maximum legend points when he finally lands it in competition!

What do you guys think? Have I completely lost it, or does that make some sort of sense? After all, the boy does need a challenge going into this next competition, if he's gonna revert to his usual layout... :laughing:

Japanese nationals is in 10 days you absolute madman, but i like the ambition :xD:

12 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

I don't know if you were paying attention or not, but Yuzu just skated a completely new layout for Origin 2days ago - after only doing the run-through once! That's not recycling, that's re-using the music for something new. 

I wouldn't put too much weight on recycling programs as a reason for Yuzu's low PCS here. I think the issue of low PCS isn't actually related to what he skated at all. 

and it makes you wonder what he could have done if he had run that for more times!

11 hours ago, Katt said:

If recycling is an excuse for low pcs, how about the same program with different music ? That's exactly what Eteri camp famous for. Evgenia skated with the same partern, layout for years under Eteri, that's the main source of her consistency as well but did her pcs suffer ? Remember the first time she broke Mao's SP record, its due to pcs, not tes (yes, I'm still bitter about this). Japanese ladies bring great, new programs every year but they never get close to Russian ladies's pcs despite being better in everything. Nathan's SP choreo this season is basically a Nemesis recycle. Daniil's programs with mutiple leg kicks/leg grabs that have nothing to do with the music. If recycling programs should get lower pcs, then everything I listed above should be dingged harder. Do we really expect judges to pay attention to music and programs ? Shoma and Nathan still get good goe when step for SP solo jump was a rule. If judges don't even follow the rule/goe guideline most of the time,  why they suddenly invent new one for Yuzuru ?  

and Amen to every single words you wrote!

7 hours ago, Figure_Frenzy said:

The judges don't dope though 😅🙈🙈

but they make you wonder if they do tho:biggrin:

5 hours ago, quadaxelwin said:

Why doesn't ANA have direct flights from Torino to Toronto if it is one of the top airlines in Japan? Very unusual for a top skater like Yuzu to take transfer flights, when it costs him more time and stamina to do so. 

It's not like Yuzu is too poor to purchase more expensive direct flights, that take less airtime and is usually more comfortable and less of a hassle to wait and transfer. 

as other have said -Torino is a rather small town(small compared to huge metropolis ,for our italian standard town  it's not of course LOL),not many flights connect it to out of Europe countries really....the other option is Milan ,pretty heavy international air traffic airport and then it's about 1h 30 min by car ,which someone like Yuzu can rent(us we take the train...but I wouldn't wish the absolute nightmare of our train rides to my worst enemy:biggrin:)

About the Russian ban,it's said really....it's true if you do ban,you do that and do't try to make the ban irrelevant by allowing those people to take part...on the other side doping is a world problem(not just in Russia)but also there are many who didn't do a thing and pay the price.

48 minutes ago, GraceAndPower said:

Skipping the million pages I still have to read for now, cos I had an idea I just needed to share! Hope it hasn't been posted yet. Hold on to your hats, it's pretty crazy!

I know the axel is Yuzu's dream, but they've told us several times now that quints are easier than the A4... So if he has a quint ready (a big "if", I know...) as well as a sufficient lead to be able to afford having an element count for 0 points, I think he should jump the 5T at Jnats.

Crazy?! Hear me out:

• what a surprise that would be! "Coming out of nowhere" indeed... He'd terrify the rest of the field, and I know I'm always here for that! :smiley-devil:
  • that would make a TON of noise, he'd become even more of a legend than he currently is, and that might make it harder for the ISU to continue their current BS? Imagine the scandal...
  • mostly, it would force the judges to assign values to quints, of course. Maybe even in time for Worlds, or am I dreaming? How fast or slow are they with that kind of thing? He needs to jump it early enough, if he wants it to be counted when it counts... Which is why I think he should deploy it before the A4.
  • and finally, it would reinforce the narrative (AKA the truth, in this case) that the 4A truly is the hardest jumps of all. So again, maximum legend points when he finally lands it in competition!

What do you guys think? Have I completely lost it, or does that make some sort of sense? After all, the boy does need a challenge going into this next competition, if he's gonna revert to his usual layout... :laughing:

I know you're joking (right? :D) but in case not:

1. 5T may or may not be easier technically than 4A, but it IS 0,5 rotation more, and that requires insane rotation speed which I'm not sure any adult man can achieve (I believe it may not be, but so were people saying about 4A and Yuzu is SO close, so...) [btw landing it on harness is completely different]

2. If ISU would want do assign values to quints, it won't happen in this Oly cycle for sure

3. Judging wise, it will change nothing

4. I don't want Yuzu to kill himself. I have to say I trust him less after GPF and his 4A practice but at least that is probably his biggest (achievable) dream now.

15 hours ago, quadaxelwin said:

Sorry I saw this quote now. I did mention how Japanese fans were very upset at the timing of the birthday cake. 
The things that antis said was not the main point of the post, but an elaboration of the side effects of what happened as a result of Yuzu declining the cake from a little girl. I know some japanese antis twist everything Yuzu does and posts them on twitter, and some fans do screencap this and complain about it. I am sorry for translating everything they said on twitter. Sometimes I literally just translate the whole tweet. I will be a little more careful of what I translate, because what and how some JP fans feel may not be the general opinion. In general, they were very worried the whole video will be misread by the Japanese public too, because some people might view Yuzu declining a birthday cake from a little girl was "cold hearted" etc. 

And I translated the tweet of what might happen as a result of giving Yuzu the birthday cake at the wrong timing. I think we follow the similar fan base on twitter because on my timeline, there were many negative comments about the wrong timing to give the birthday cake too. Just like how you mentioned above in your post. 

I will take your post very seriously. 

Thanks for the feedback.

As for generalizing Japanese fans opinions, I only started posting about them because my whole timeline was a s**t show when fans were fighting over whether or not to sing Happy Birthday to Yuzu during Kiss and Cry. And my timeline at the time was a MESS, like scroll after scroll of japanese fans complaining, whining, subtweeting, worrying, being frustrated. I guess I did generalize they were rather collectively angry at the time in relation to this whole kiss and cry birthday surprise.

Thank you for your opinion. Next time, I will only say what I think the majority are saying, rather than include every little detail that some japanese fans are saying in regards to issues like this one. 

Looks like I failed to get my point across, so I rephrase.
I am baffled to see you repeatedly tried to hold someone back because you think Japanese fans want it, not because you think it is wrong or inappropriate or inconsiderate, or anything. I think trying to control someone saying because someone else wants it is not right.
It is true that there were Japanese fans reacted negatively to the cake and the song, but they all have different reasons. And those who seriously wanted to stop other fans are trying to reach out to them by themselves on their responsibility, explaining their reasons, choosing how to word their opinion.
Japanese fandom is huge and diverse. We have all kinds of conflicts between fans as well. So it is impossible to speak for majority. To do so is just to create a phantom.

To fly to Torino directly is not so easy even from germany , yes there are direct flights but only a few from big airports like Frankfurt or Munich but otherwise it’s nearly impossible! 
Just came back from Torino and I want to go back to see him again and again and again it’s so sad that it’s already over it was such a special, amazing experience to be there and see him live he’s just mesmerizing and after you’re home you can’t let go ! 
I want to go back now and I want it to never end ! 
On my flight back from Torino where 7 German people and the rest was a Japanese group and all of us where in Torino to watch Yuzu skate except a guy in front of me who got into a few arguments with other passengers because he was a Nathan Chen fan and he was constantly arguing that Chen is the best skater ever ! 

Hi, just a few thoughts about my personal experience of the GPF (I was there for the FS only and had to depart before the second VC because I was staying at a friend of mine's who lived quite far from Torino so I didn't get the chance to meet anyone from here, although you seem to all have made an amazing job :)) : when I arrived near the arena I could see all these people walking around with poohs in their hands, hanging from their bags or as headbands and it felt like I was part of a secret society of Pooh lovers ^^

I had a silver seat so I had a great overview of the arena but couldn't see the details : all I can say is that Yuzu's outfit is very sparkly ! He looked like a Christmas tree from afar and was therefore easy to spot, especially in the dark xD I survived the ordeal of seeing Yuzu skate his five-quad program with my heart in my throat and real elation at seeing him land them one after the other. It was surreal ! Until the mistake on the axel I thought I was witnessing a miracle: the mistake reminded me that Yuzu was very much human and seeing him stumble after his final pose was quite touching. He really gave his all, and the arena thanked him by literally unleashing Pooh chaos all over the ice. The friend who came with me was completely flabbergasted ! I threw my Pooh and my Goat as far as I could but they still landed on people's heads who in turn threw them on the ice. Nathan was still able to skate around as the soft toys were mainly covering the sides of the ice. As for Nathan, he skated well: you could see he kept his energy from beginning to end and was hitting everything without giving any sign of being tired. And the end of the program was actually quite entertaining: I wasn't expecting such a high score, but all I can say is that you could see at the end of Yuzu's program that he was dead tired, while Nathan seemed fresh (at least from afar ^^). Of course I was more emotionally invested in Yuzu's program and I am glad I witnessed such a beautiful 4lz with my own eyes ! Actually, I had seen Yuzu win the GPF 3 years ago in Marseille but I loved Torino more: Yuzu didn't skate an excellent program in Marseille and had shown signs of tiredness too, but here in Torino he literally went beyond himself. This fight he put up with his own limits is priceless, so to me this silver medal is actually a victory. Actually, everything to me that comes after Pyeongchang is a bonus and a victory to me, which I've learned to appreciate. I'm so glad I was able to see him live for the second time ! After the VC he did a lap around the rink and carefully looked up at everyone in the upper bleachers and waved at us. Me and my friends had made a sign with Happy Birthday written on it and he acknowledged it. I think my job was done there. 

What I want to say is simply this: Yuzu is a beautiful candle that keeps burning bright but his body will one day reach its limits. He found a very athletic rival who fuels this fire again in him, but I think there is a struggle within Yuzu between his pride, his love for the sport, his irrepressible need to push his limits and quest for perfection on the one hand, and his fear of injury and his own physical limitations on the other hand. He wants so much ! But the thing is, his mind is often ahead of his body: and his hunger, his hard-work as well as his pure heart led him to these incredible accomplishments. I really wish he will end up his competitive career with a supernova: by landing a beautiful 4A and leaving an indelible mark on the history of the sport and our heart (and this, he's already done it, and nobody can take it away from him !). :tumblr_inline_nhkezsTB3v1qid2nw:

16 hours ago, GraceAndPower said:

I'm totally with you. There's just a tiny little problem. Yuzu probably can't do it. It's not like: I need a quint, here we go. Not to mention embedding it into a choreo that is already packed with four or five quads.

However, I agree that the situation won't change for him, if things go on like this. Scores will probably get even worse, if he doesn't come up with something really earthshattering soon. My thoughts:

Advice #1: Yuzu, listen to the wise words of Kaz Brekker:

If you can't beat the odds, change the game.

Yuzu has three incredibly powerful weapons:

1. He sticks 100% to the rulebook. At the end of the day his correct technique and highest quality of execution are indisputable.

2. Yuzu is the no. 1 topseller and clickbait in the skating world, who fills the arenas and pockets of many officials, institutions and big companies.

3. Everyone wants him to compete in Beijing. Yes, I think even ISU wants him to be there (winning the title is a different cup of tea).

Make use of these weapons.

Advice #2: Follow the key rules of chess. If you want to win, it's not enough to bring your most powerful pieces into position. They will be slaughtered, before you even get the chance to attack with them.

1. key rule: Read your opponent's thoughts. Not only the next step, but the next five or six steps.

2. key rule: Never pull out your biggest trumpcard too early. The right timing is everything.

3. key rule: Lure your opponent into a trap. Attack, when he feels the most confident and becomes careless with his next move.

Ahhhhh... I love playing mindgames... This is Henni's favorite territory... :hihi:

1 hour ago, mercedes said:

and it makes you wonder what he could have done if he had run that for more times!

Yes. 

Although it's clearly a layout that takes a LOT of stamina. He'd have to train massive amounts of cardio to get there. 

1 hour ago, mercedes said:

but they make you wonder if they do tho:biggrin:

Indeed

This season, I see so much angst over the unfair scoring and judging, and frustrations over the way Nathan is being hailed as the winner for having "crushed" Hanyu.  Of course, I share in these feelings expressed by many satellites on this forum.  But I will be contrarian and say all this emotional churning this is a tempest in a teacup.  Actually, after this GPF event I am now convinced more than ever before that Yuzu's best days are ahead and he is evolving into a truly iconic artist and performer for the ages.  He has been a great athlete, but so far he has only skimmed the surface of the creative potential.

And for this, I am gratefuly - yes, deeply and truly grateful - to Nathan Chen for being the source of Yuzu's motivation to keep pushing himself.  Nathan is a great athlete and, thank goodness, also a very decent human-being with integrity, so that the competition with Yuzu will remain positive and respectful despite the efforts of the media and gossip-mongers to generate toxic counternarratives.  For me, Nathan's performance is entertaining but passes quickly and does not offer much aesthetic interest or deep emotional connection (what was that performance with La Boheme??  Does he even know Charles Aznavour??? I find Kevin Aymoz to be memorable and moving, and when Mikhail Kolyada returns, he will be another memorable performer - if he can pull things together.) 

So while Nathan can gain scoring WRs, he remains a foil for the main protagonist who remains to be Yuzu.  I am just thrilled to know that we are now in for another full Olympic cycle with Yuzu pushing and refining his artistry.  I am sorry that some complain about "recycling", but every Yuzu performance is different and given the difficulty of his lay-outs it takes many different takes to reach a higher level of artistry.  I watch each performance like watching dancers honing their choreography and gradually building in greater subtlety into their movements.  

I saw Yuzu live at Skate Canada in Kelowna - where his Origin performance was one of the best I have seen so far, with all the emotional commitments being translated into beautiful movements of head, arms and legs.  Apart from the first 4Lo it was a seamless and expressive flow from the beginning to the end.  This is what I am looking forward to seeing, with even more difficult technical elements.  Yuzu is right in asking rhetorically: what is the point of putting in quad axel if he cannot put transitions in and out of it?  Figure skating is not a jumping show.   

Yuzu will stay true to his commitment to that artistry and will push himself to the utmost to accomplish it.  And when he stops competing and moves on to other activities, top skaters like Patrick Chan, Javi, and Nathan will look back and say "I was honored to have been part of that journey."  (Patrick and Javi have already said something along those lines.)  

This is the great vision that Hanyu-senshu shared with me, and I am at peace.  羽生選手殿、心から感謝しております。

7 hours ago, quadaxelwin said:

Why doesn't ANA have direct flights from Torino to Toronto if it is one of the top airlines in Japan? Very unusual for a top skater like Yuzu to take transfer flights, when it costs him more time and stamina to do so. 

It's not like Yuzu is too poor to purchase more expensive direct flights, that take less airtime and is usually more comfortable and less of a hassle to wait and transfer. 

ANA, like most airlines, uses partner airlines  (it's called 'code-share') to provide coverage on routes where they don't fly their own planes. ANA's partner airline in Canada is Air Canada. Air Canada flies Toronto direct to London, Paris, Amsterdam,  or Frankfurt daily in winter; to every other destination in Europe,  you have to take a connecting flight. 

As to why this is, I really don't have room to write a dissertation on how airlines operate here, so let me sum it up as saying, it allows airlines to reduce costs and make profit. 

I'm just glad ANA isn't partners with Ryannair. Imagine Yuzu having to catch the equivalent of a Greyhound Bus, only flying. 

1 hour ago, Tabby said:

lol okay raf....insecure much?

He's bitter because deep down he knows that Yuzu will always be the superior skater and that no matter what happens, Nathan will never be as globally popular or beloved as Yuzu. You can become powerful by gaming a system but earning loyalty and respect on a large scale is a different story.

23 minutes ago, Umebachi said:

This season, I see so much angst over the unfair scoring and judging, and frustrations over the way Nathan is being hailed as the winner for having "crushed" Hanyu.  Of course, I share in these feelings expressed by many satellites on this forum.  But I will be contrarian and say all this emotional churning this is a tempest in a teacup.  Actually, after this GPF event I am now convinced more than ever before that Yuzu's best days are ahead and he is evolving into a truly iconic artist and performer for the ages.  He has been a great athlete, but so far he has only skimmed the surface of the creative potential.

And for this, I am gratefuly - yes, deeply and truly grateful - to Nathan Chen for being the source of Yuzu's motivation to keep pushing himself.  Nathan is a great athlete and, thank goodness, also a very decent human-being with integrity, so that the competition with Yuzu will remain positive and respectful despite the efforts of the media and gossip-mongers to generate toxic counternarratives.  For me, Nathan's performance is entertaining but passes quickly and does not offer much aesthetic interest or deep emotional connection (what was that performance with La Boheme??  Does he even know Charles Aznavour??? I find Kevin Aymoz to be memorable and moving, and when Mikhail Kolyada returns, he will be another memorable performer - if he can pull things together.) 

So while Nathan can gain scoring WRs, he remains a foil for the main protagonist who remains to be Yuzu.  I am just thrilled to know that we are now in for another full Olympic cycle with Yuzu pushing and refining his artistry.  I am sorry that some complain about "recycling", but every Yuzu performance is different and given the difficulty of his lay-outs it takes many different takes to reach a higher level of artistry.  I watch each performance like watching dancers honing their choreography and gradually building in greater subtlety into their movements.  

I saw Yuzu live at Skate Canada in Kelowna - where his Origin performance was one of the best I have seen so far, with all the emotional commitments being translated into beautiful movements of head, arms and legs.  Apart from the first 4Lo it was a seamless and expressive flow from the beginning to the end.  This is what I am looking forward to seeing, with even more difficult technical elements.  Yuzu is right in asking rhetorically: what is the point of putting in quad axel if he cannot put transitions in and out of it?  Figure skating is not a jumping show.   

Yuzu will stay true to his commitment to that artistry and will push himself to the utmost to accomplish it.  And when he stops competing and moves on to other activities, top skaters like Patrick Chan, Javi, and Nathan will look back and say "I was honored to have been part of that journey."  (Patrick and Javi have already said something along those lines.)  

This is the great vision that Hanyu-senshu shared with me, and I am at peace.  羽生選手殿、心から感謝しております。

If your right, this will be the proof that he's the ultimate sport manga protagonist :coolio: