General Yuzuru Chat

1 hour ago, quadaxelwin said:

Your description of the Origin 2.0 costume was very... Convincing... You should write for womens fashion magazine to try sell clothes lol. 

Hmmm... Maybe I was too attached to Origin 1.0 costume. I thought it was the better design, but seeing you describe 2.0 like that with so much passion convinced me to look at the 2.0 again with a new viewpoint. I guess it's a dividing costume where you either love it or you don"t. I voted for it regardless because it's more intriguing than Uniqlo Heat Tech boring shirts that other men wear. The results should be very interesting. If 2.0 does win costume of the year, then it would really shock me even more that maybe my tastes in costumes are different.

My fave Yuzu costumes are Chopin 2.0, Seimei 2.0. Origin 1.0, H&L, Etude, Notte Stellata, Requiem Sparkle Salad, Haru yo Koi (too many)

I also think Crystsl Memories costume is soooo pretty it should have been used as a competition costume. 

Considering I like the costumes above, I don't like Origin 2.0 as much I guess. But it's still better than the rest of men's costumes. 

Sorry for this assay about my personal perception of Yuzu's costumes, but I really need to share my thoughts now...

:goat:

To make one thing clear: I cannot dislike any of his costumes really, because... well, it's Yuzu in it. That makes every costume look good. So on a popularity scale from 0 to 10 even the worst atrocities get a basic 5 from me. (Yeah, this is bias as hell, but I can't help.)

First point: COLOR (this is my key criterium... colors are everything for me)

Imo Yuzu looks a bit pale in any kind of light blue costume. Not cold, but pale. So even with the best design his light blue costumes can only get a 9 from me at best. It's a bit similar with Seimei 2.0. The design is mindblowing, but the white color melts too much into the ice for me. So only a 9.5 for that one, too.

Footnote: In galas and ice shows Seimei 2.0 and white LCG would get big fat 10s.

Colorwise my top favorites are both Origin costumes, Masquerade, azure blue Etude and H&L. I haven't seen them in real life, but in the photos and video material they look so intense and powerful. That alone raises them to 9-10 category for me. Notte Stellata and Haru Yo Koi might have bright pastell colors, but in the dark lights of the EX gala they work very well, so no color deduction here either.

Second point: skin-colored mesh

I'm absolutely no fan of this nylon-like mesh, especially when it doesn't match your skin color or throws ugly visible wrinkles. That's why Etude, H&L, Origin 1.0, Notte Stellata and Haru Yo Koi all get a 0.5 mesh-deduction from Henni. Origin 2.0 is the only Yuzu-costume that passed my very strict mesh-test so far.

Third point: design/cut

There are multiple costumes that haven't been mentioned above yet. In short: their design is not my cup of tea really. One exception is POTO 2.0. I really like that costume with the high black collar and deep V-neck. The mix of gold, black and blue structures looks very noble, too. However, it only gets a 9.5 from me, because I miss that sassy impact. It's too innocent for me :laughing: (Maybe it would be different with 25 year old Yuzu in it...)

So, the winner was among these costumes that passed both the color and mesh test: Masquerade and Origin 2.0. Masquerade looked incredibly cool, especially the leather version, but I had two concerns: 1. The different length of the sleeves and 2. the color of the red glove looked a bit awkward imo. Still a very good 9.

Origin 2.0 has EVERYTHING and I can't stop praising it... :tumblr_inline_n18qr5AMus1qid2nw: THE perfect 10 for me. The 10 of 10s.

Fanyu life: people are scouting out deals on Poohs in Torino shopping malls:

Also, I voted on the ISU Awards but I'm scratching my head over how they chose the nominees. It seems like it's just an alphabetized list of everyone who won something in the GP series this season (well, except for "Best Costume", which is just, like, random? ) . It doesn't look like there were any selection criteria applied, nor any thought given to having the awards become a meaningful celebration of excellence or anything. I feel even more like this is whole awards thing is just some whimsical ego trip for the originator of the idea, and the ISU is going along with it because somebody told them they need more 'audience engagement', and they're not quite sure what that is, but they know it means polls, lots of clicky-clicky polls. 

Also, don't shoot me, but while I voted for Yuzu as Most Valuable Skater (because he is), and Origin 2.0 as best costume (because Dead Black Swan on Short Bearded Man aka Baker & Hawayek's Ex was not an option), I simply had to vote for Piper & Paul with "Both Sides Now" for best program , because figure skating needs a whole lot more of what they do, and a whole lot less of what about 80% of the other nominees do. It hurt me more than I care to admit to not vote for Gabby & Guillaume, though. 

1 hour ago, Old Cat Lady said:

re: origin discussion. when i first saw it, i didn’t like it but i think that was largely because i loved the first costume and it just was nothing like i expected. but as i look at it more, i think i might like it more than the first one. accentuates all his lines better and the design just feels elevated. it’s like something you’d see on a paris runway 

I love Origin 2.0, but I'm not convinced yet that it captures the music as well as Origin 1.0. 

Also, Yuzu looked majestic and otherworldly in Origin 1.0, like a god descended to earth to reshape humanity a bit.  Origin 2.0 just looks beautiful, with out the otherworldly part. It's a more human look. 

5 hours ago, BWOZWaltz said:

I think eager beavers are working hard and clicking away :D I have tried and tried but I couldn't finish voting for all categories. I will have to go back again.

It's not intuitive. They make you scroll back up to the top after selecting Yuzu, then you have to select the undelined text that says "Back to the categories". That will save your vote and you can do the same in the other categories. It's like they're trying to confuse us.

2 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

I love Origin 2.0, but I'm not convinced yet that it captures the music as well as Origin 1.0. 

Also, Yuzu looked majestic and otherworldly in Origin 1.0, like a god descended to earth to reshape humanity a bit.  Origin 2.0 just looks beautiful, with out the otherworldly part. It's a more human look. 

This is an interesting comment because I think that's exactly what I like about 2.0 - imo the program needed, and still needs to some degree, to be humanized. Last season he was very removed in Origin, like he was striving for something that wasn't him, was outside of him. Plushenko, the ideal future him of his childhood self, the invulnerable image he thought he had to live up to after a year of vulnerability, whatever it was. The lonely god thing was really intriguing but I think it also prevented me, and maybe prevented him a little bit, from totally connecting with the program. It didn't feel personal enough and the costume, while amazing, contributed to that because it was so different. I think 2.0 feels more like him. It's still powerful but it's more delicately beautiful, in the vein of his past costumes, and the colour makes him look healthier. Just like the program, 2.0 has those playful little flourishes 1.0 didn't have - the butterflies, the whimsical swirls of sparkle, the flashes of red like flashes of his personality. I agree that it doesn't really fit the music, but I don't mind because I will never completely like the music anyway. Yuzu needed to, like he said, move away from skating like Plushenko and be more like himself for this program, and sparkling purple Midsummer Night's Dream fairy is definitely not a costume Plushenko would wear. :68468287:

To me, Origin 2.0 and Let's Go Crazy 2.0 are by far his best looks. First of all the choice to show his forehead is *chef's kiss*, this particular hairstyle is his best look. Regarding the costumes, I think they're the right mix of flamboyant/sparkly and traditionally masculine, a perfect in-between that encapsulates Yuzu's style well. These costumes are also very fitting for a Prince and Nijinsky tribute respectively. The designs are original enough but the inspiration from these performers is clearly represented.

I love that both of them are perfectly tailored to his body and they accentuate all of his lines beautifully. I like how fit and light they look (unlike Otoñal 2.0 which is too frilly and stuffy  imo).

Also, high-waisted pants are a 100% yes for him and I really appreciate the bold choice of pastel lavender. It's an unusual color in FS and needless to say, he's got a nice body and he's right for showing it off.

The colors are just right, these shades of purple look gorgeous on him and on the ice. I adore the intricate designs of the LGC vest and the Origin top. Especially the latter- the flowers, the butterflies and the golden sparkles are such nice lovely touches.

My least favorite costumes are Requiem and Otoñal 2.0. 

12 hours ago, fyere0 said:

This is an interesting comment because I think that's exactly what I like about 2.0 - imo the program needed, and still needs to some degree, to be humanized. Last season he was very removed in Origin, like he was striving for something that wasn't him, was outside of him. Plushenko, the ideal future him of his childhood self, the invulnerable image he thought he had to live up to after a year of vulnerability, whatever it was. The lonely god thing was really intriguing but I think it also prevented me, and maybe prevented him a little bit, from totally connecting with the program. It didn't feel personal enough and the costume, while amazing, contributed to that because it was so different. I think 2.0 feels more like him. It's still powerful but it's more delicately beautiful, in the vein of his past costumes, and the colour makes him look healthier. Just like the program, 2.0 has those playful little flourishes 1.0 didn't have - the butterflies, the whimsical swirls of sparkle, the flashes of red like flashes of his personality. I agree that it doesn't really fit the music, but I don't mind because I will never completely like the music anyway. Yuzu needed to, like he said, move away from skating like Plushenko and be more like himself for this program, and sparkling purple Midsummer Night's Dream fairy is definitely not a costume Plushenko would wear. :68468287:

This is indeed interesting, because for me non of the Origin costumes give 'human' vibes really. The Parisienne Walkways shirt, that looks human and that's why I don't like it :68468287: It's too simple and casual for Yuzu standards. PW in Etude costume was like a 100 times more awesome and sassy imo. (My favorite LGC was the crazy swan at WTT 2017 btw.)

For me Yuzu's real magic lies in his ethereal appearance and skating. When he looks like a swan or sakura fairy or sparkled salad or whatever non-human being, that's the most fascinating side of him. Both Origin costumes have this magic in different ways. While Origin 1.0 reminds me of ultraboss Zeus/Iupiter, Origin 2.0 gives me vibes of Athene/Minerva, the God of wisdom, strategy, battle and fine arts. (Footnote: I also celebrate Sakura Origin and Masquerade Origin :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:)

EDIT:

Completely different topic: Last year I made a compilation (720p) of Yuzu's nine CWW performances plus finale of day 3 (performances only without introductions, bowing etc). If there's interest, I could share it here on the Planet.

57 minutes ago, ICeleste said:

To me, Origin 2.0 and Let's Go Crazy 2.0 are by far his best looks. First of all the choice to show his forehead is *chef's kiss*, this particular hairstyle is his best look. Regarding the costumes, I think they're the right mix of flamboyant/sparkly and traditionally masculine, a perfect in-between that encapsulates Yuzu's style well. These costumes are also very fitting for a Prince and Nijinsky tribute respectively. The designs are original enough but the inspiration from these performers is clearly represented.

I love that both of them are perfectly tailored to his body and they accentuate all of his lines beautifully. I like how fit and light they look (unlike Otoñal 2.0 which is too frilly and stuffy  imo).

Also, high-waisted pants are a 100% yes for him and I really appreciate the bold choice of pastel lavender. It's an unusual color in FS and needless to say, he's got a nice body and he's right for showing it off.

The colors are just right, these shades of purple look gorgeous on him and on the ice. I adore the intricate designs of the LGC vest and the Origin top. Especially the latter- the flowers, the butterflies and the golden sparkles are such nice lovely touches.

I have to agree about Otonal 2.0. That costume does not do it for me. It's the bulkiness of the fabric right at the front under his chin, that hides his beautiful neck, that is the problem. 

2 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Also, don't shoot me, but while I voted for Yuzu as Most Valuable Skater (because he is), and Origin 2.0 as best costume (because Dead Black Swan on Short Bearded Man aka Baker & Hawayek's Ex was not an option), I simply had to vote for Piper & Paul with "Both Sides Now" for best program , because figure skating needs a whole lot more of what they do, and a whole lot less of what about 80% of the other nominees do. 

...you and me both, really...

2 hours ago, ICeleste said:

LGC (2.0) was a very smartly designed costume! The vest hit at just the right spot, and the shades of purple were used well. If both the top and the bottom had been the same shade it would have strayed too far into Brian territory (sorry, Brian, but that was the '80s purple jumpsuit, we needed the 2010s purple jumpsuit :knc_brian3:). And the darker, cooler pants colour wouldn't have gone as well with his complexion as the lighter, warmer shirt colour, so they kept that one near his face and the darker purple on his legs. 

Requiem...I can see where it came from. It does look like swirling water and debris, and sometimes the waves are close to that light turquoise shade. It's very intricate and beautiful up close and the exposed 'flesh' strips are designed well. But it's juuuuuuust a touch too far into wintergreen toothpaste territory. :dontdothistome:

Otonal 2.0 I think has a similar problem as Requiem in that it doesn't really have a front focal point. Everything is just folded over, and the textures are very pretty all over, but there's nothing to focus on the way you can usually focus on an embellishment or the cut of a neckline in his other costumes.

I can't resist getting into the costume-love discussion!!!

I LOVE all his costumes,  some passionately, some ehhh less so? But still Love! Origin 1.0 was probably my favourite of all time and I really couldn't imagine how it could get better,  then Origin 2.0 happened. I truly lost a part of my mind, it was visceral, it connected with me in a way I could not control and cannot explain.  That PURPLE, so regal,  and vampiric. Suddenly I'm hoping we see  a Dracula program someday.  A sexy/scary one,  which he clearly has down with Masquerade! 

After awhile i realized the sheer color was part of the appeal.  You think you can almost see his skin, he's almost naked (but of course you know there is a flesh tone layer under the purple). But I also get the impression of it being an Aura around him,  not actual clothes.  And the butterflies and flowers add to that feeling,  they are just naturally emerging from him. Like the life force is just seeping out of him as he skates along.  

And the over all shape of the costume,  love the high neckline,  the opening on his chest,  the way it shows his growing muscles...ugh... is almost too much.  And yet PERFECT!!!!

This is the thing about Yuzu,  you know he's always working to improve himself,  go beyond the ideal... and yet I'm so surprised and DELIGHTED that it keeps happening. I don't WANT to keep expecting MORE, it's so greedy.  So I'm just going to keep letting myself be surprised.. like,  he cannot possibly improve Origin 2.0, or 1.0 for that matter,  or Swanyu, or Seimei 2.0, etc etc etc. But,  I'll bet he does anyway