General Yuzuru Chat

1 hour ago, sweetwater said:

At this stage, to compete that way doesn't pay at all, I think. If his choice makes him feel motivated or fulfilling, that, in the end, should be the strategically best choice as well.

At this stage, Yuzu's earned the "I can do whatever the hell I want" privilege. If he recycles or doesn't recycle, it's his free choice and I think he should do what makes the most sense to him. 

Music choices.

1. NDP (Per the TSL episode): Yuzu wanted to skate to POTO but David Wilson had just choreographed a POTO program for Chiddy the previous season and was reluctant. He suggested NDP because he knew Yuzu loved Weir and it was a lesser known Johnny Weir music/program so there wouldn't be too much comparison. David even gave Yuzu a cd/dvd(?) of the play but Yuzu said he couldn't understand it because it was in English (probably why he had a bit of a disconnect to the program).

2. R+J 2 (Per the TSL episode): Yuzu wanted to skate to R+J because R+J 1 was special to him. He wrote a letter to David saying he would do anything for David to choreograph and R+J program for him. David was reluctant to choreograph 'another' R+J program because he's done so many (including Sasha Cohen's iconic R+J). But Yuzu was very passionate about it so David relented.

3. Hope and Legacy (Per yuzusorbet's tumblr): In 2011, a Japanese fan gave a CD of a selection of music to Yuzuru, together with this sheet for him to mark down his feeling about the music.   Circle = Like; Triangle = Normal;  Cross = Dislike.  Yuzu filled it in and sent it back to her that year. (WOW!!!)  Note the last song… ‘Asian Dream Song’…. part of his free skate this season!  He drew double circles, meaning he likes it very much.  So he has already loved this song from way back! 

tumblr_odjyzlqNAJ1tbuttdo1_1280.jpg

8 minutes ago, kaeryth said:

Music choices.

1. NDP (Per the TSL episode): Yuzu wanted to skate to POTO but David Wilson had just choreographed a POTO program for Chiddy the previous season and was reluctant. He suggested NDP because he knew Yuzu loved Weir and it was a lesser known Johnny Weir music/program so there wouldn't be too much comparison. David even gave Yuzu a cd/dvd(?) of the play but Yuzu said he couldn't understand it because it was in English (probably why he had a bit of a disconnect to the program).

2. R+J 2 (Per the TSL episode): Yuzu wanted to skate to R+J because R+J 1 was special to him. He wrote a letter to David saying he would do anything for David to choreograph and R+J program for him. David was reluctant to choreograph 'another' R+J program because he's done so many (including Sasha Cohen's iconic R+J). But Yuzu was very passionate about it so David relented.

3. Hope and Legacy (Per yuzusorbet's tumblr): In 2011, a Japanese fan gave a CD of a selection of music to Yuzuru, together with this sheet for him to mark down his feeling about the music.   Circle = Like; Triangle = Normal;  Cross = Dislike.  Yuzu filled it in and sent it back to her that year. (WOW!!!)  Note the last song… ‘Asian Dream Song’…. part of his free skate this season!  He drew double circles, meaning he likes it very much.  So he has already loved this song from way back! 

Vangelis!! I'm all in for this.

Edit: Could someone translate the songs' names with double circles, please? I'm really curious :goat:

17 minutes ago, Henni147 said:

This is totally OT, but:

In today's teaching seminar we were talking about recycling in Germany and one related association that we discussed had the VERY fitting abbreviation C.A.R.M.E.N. (in Eng: Central Agrarian-Resource Marketing and Energy Network) :xD:

It was really challenging not to burst out laughing.

Argh! Carmen! There's no getting away from bloody Carmen! 

16 minutes ago, kaeryth said:

Music choices.

He marked Vangelis (which I assume is 'Chariots of Fire", there's really no other Vangelis worth mentioning) with a circle! Does this mean one we'll see a 'Chariots' program from him? That would be a sight to behold. 

Also, RE: the music list with him saying he liked Asian Dream Song. This was way back in 2011 so I don't know if that particular list influenced Hope and Legacy but we at least know that he liked Asian Dream Song as far back as 2011. It might just be pure coincidence but it gives us a glimpse of his taste is music (I noticed he never marked anything as dislike).

1 hour ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Both would be really interesting programs for Yuzu to do, I think. Although when it comes to LoTR, I feel like Yuzu would be one of the hobbits if he was in the Fellowship. Can't picture him quite as the desperate and embittered Boromir or the long-suffering Aragorn. 

Maybe he'd be Gimli? All dwarves love gold just like Yuzu. 

He'd be an elf maybe? Not sure Legolas.

3 hours ago, kiches said:

If I were to pick music for Yuzu to skate to I'd have no idea what it would be. Instead, one day I'd love for him to let Shae pick music for him and for him to continue letting Jeff suggest music for him. I think Otonal is the first SP music he's asked for with Jeff. I just love their collaborations and have loved all of Jeff's choices for him so far (Parisienne Walkways, Ballade no. 1, and Let's Go Crazy). They've worked together so many years I'm sure Jeff has a lot of ideas and music sitting in his playlist. Shae as well, but sometimes I look at the music choices she's given other skaters and I'm not sure if I always trust her :umm:.

I admit I would like him to skate on some music by Yanni, just because the songs have a very diverse range and can combine strong parts with soft parts, fast parts with slow parts etc. without giving the impression that they were just glued together. I don't really like it when skaters have various song just put together and it's very obvious (annoyingly obvious) when the transition is done. Some even stop completely and wait for a few seconds doing nothing until the next part starts like they would start a different program (this is quite visible sometimes in pairs and dance).

About Shae (and other choreographers for that matter), do we know that she chose the music for the other skaters? Or maybe they come to her with a song. I thiing she said that Evgenia came to her with MOAG ideea and she just did the cut. Maybe bad choice of music is not always on her.

Oh the old recycling debate :xD: Honestly, I'm of the ones who think that judges really don't care about music choices, and a big part of the fuss is simply created by the fans and mayyyybe medias (most of the time, "orientated" medias, biased toward on skater/team or another... Most of the correct ones usually depict quite objective facts of skating). And I'm not even mentioning the odd character who thinks he's a real critic and infleuncer - we shall not even write his name because he's not worth our attention...

That said, I don't think Yuzu getting new programs or not will have an influence of the PCS he's getting, or should we say, the PCS Nathan is getting, closing the gap everyday. I hate to say that, but it's kind of inevitable. It's the same narrative with every rising star, just look at how Zagitova was raised to Medvedeva's PCS level; we should even be thankful it's not THAT fast in the Men's field...

But back to subject I don't think Yuzuru will recycle Origin next season, but I would totally see him bring it back for the Olympics, once the quad axel is stable, as the cherry on top of everything.  We also have to remember that skaters, even the most perfectionnist artists as Yuzu are humans. Listening to that same 4:30 minutes every.single.day might be undoable for such long time. We can notice he had breaks between the most recycled programs.  

Because it was part of the discussion I just went through the IJS SOV, and noticed 4A is only 12.50 BV ??!! Only 1 point more than a 4Lz ?! Even the 4S/4T have a bigger difference with the quad lutz... Insane... 

1 hour ago, mercedes said:

I'm intrigued by triangles too,what does it mean normal?like you don't hate it but you don't even love it?:xD:

Well - he doesn't officially dislike anything, but he's made a whole new category for "really like." I suspect he just didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings by saying he didn't like a piece of music they were suggesting, especially if he gave the ratings back to them after he was done listening. So everything he didn't like probably got that same "ehhhhhh, it was okay........" that you give a friend when they've suggested a movie or a book that you didn't enjoy.

Also, to lurker Yuzu: please, please no Chariots of Fire. :8:

But in the interest of not being a giant hypocrite, I will say that I think he's earned the right to skate to whatever he darn well pleases, and even if it's something I find unbearably cheesy, I'll still be there clapping until my hands hurt and cheering until I go hoarse to support him.

Edit: @rockstaryuzu I just went back and looked. It is indeed Chariots of Fire, which is 炎のランナー in Japanese. I am deeply concerned that he gave it a single circle.

1 hour ago, kaeryth said:

Music choices.

Thank you for the photo. 

He really likes "Inochi no namae" (from anime movie spirited away) and some pieces from Man in the Iron Mask. And he seems to have mixed feelings for both Ben Hur OST and Lotr OST

This is an interesting music choice nonetheless. 

2 hours ago, kaeryth said:

Music choices.

I'm screaming rn because he also likes Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence (戦場のメリークリスマス)

Yuzu, please do skate to this song. <3 It's such a masterpiece from Sakamoto-san 

may I suggest Norihiro Tsuru's Last Carnival as well? 

2 hours ago, AkaneYamashina said:

I'm screaming rn because he also likes Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence (戦場のメリークリスマス)

Yuzu, please do skate to this song. <3 It's such a masterpiece from Sakamoto-san 

may I suggest Norihiro Tsuru's Last Carnival as well? 

It would be nice for a SP because the melody repetitive in that song.

I'm planning to watch Man in the Iron Mask tonight because Yuzu really liked 2 songs from the list.