General Yuzuru Chat

1 hour ago, quadaxelwin said:

Yeah I love Jeffrey for that! He also brought Yuzu Parisienne Walkaways & Chopin didn't he? 

As far as I know the music Yuzu himself brought by himself were:

1. Phantom of Opera - I heard he wanted to skate it during Sochi Olympics, but David Wilson said it's been done so many times before and Brian and Orser refused the proposal at first but after Yuzu won olympics, Brian finally said yes because Yuzu was so persistent with POTO (from orser's interview during 2014 season).

2. Seimei - apparently Yuzu was first looking into Japanese Dramas based on japanese history and considered their soundtrack at first, but then found seimei (info from his own mouth)

3. H&L - he mashed some joe hisaishi music together

4. origin / otonal - you all know why lol

Now as far as Notre Dame Paris soundtrack, I don't know if that was David wilson's recommendation or not. Anyone know?  

So the choice of Yuzu's competitive programs since 2014 looked more or less like this:

Jeff: Hey Yuzu, I have some nice music for you that highlights your strengths. What do you think? :pouty:

Shae: Yuzu, what kind of music would you like to skate to this season? I'm prepared for a lot of research work. :clapclap4:

1 hour ago, quadaxelwin said:

Now as far as Notre Dame Paris soundtrack, I don't know if that was David wilson's recommendation or not. Anyone know?  

I think this was David Wilson’s idea. From what David and Brian have said a couple years back what Yuzu always wanted to skate to was Phantom of the Opera, but David clearly didn’t want to choreograph a Phantom program (I suspect this may be why Brian found Shae to choreograph a Phantom FS for Yuzu after Olympics). I think David in his TSL interview in 2016 mentioned he wanted Phantom for the Sochi Olympic season as well, but that it was Brian who suggested Romeo and Juliet again. Maybe this is in the Team Brian book but I think Yuzu’s text response back to Brian was “I love it” or something along those lines. Back on the topic of Notre Dame, David said Yuzu liked it because Johnny skated to it, but I often wonder how much he really understood Yuzu because I remember in one of his interviews Yuzu struggled to remember the name of the music!

There’s a photo of the music suggestion list that fan sent where it asked him to mark with circles, triangles, and x’s which songs he didn’t like, likes, and really likes. Asian Dream Song was a “really like”. I think you can find this image on twitter somewhere although I had no idea if it came from a documentary (I’ve never seen it if it did) but among other songs listed I remember the same fan also had Man in the Iron Mask and Lord of the Rings listed but I can’t remember how he marked those. 

About NDP I remember very vaguely this story how Wilson just gave the choreography to Yuzu and when Yuzu asked what the theme of the program was, they gave him a French movie with English subtitles, so Yuzu had basically no idea what he was skating to. Then when he returned to Japan, he found Japanese subtitles and began to understand the program better. Don´t ask for any sources because I don´t have them. I just have this tendency to remember these weird things about Yuzu and my memory could be wrong. I just remember thinking like “oh, poor baby” when hearing/reading this story many years ago.

On 11/13/2019 at 6:47 AM, caterpillar said:

While this is true, if I recall correctly Yuzu originally wanted to recycle Let’s go Crazy for the Olympic season for this reason, but was advised to choose Chopin instead. So I actually think all three of these instances can be explained with the fact that it was the Olympics, and Yuzu wanted these significant programs for that season.

I agree. I think he likes to hone his programs and that generally takes him an extra season or so, and he wouldn't go into the Olympics without a program he felt was at a high enough standard (to his own satisfaction). I think this means we'll get new programs next season so that he's got the second season to work on them for the next Olympics. Not saying it's his concrete plan or whatever, but that's perhaps just a loose sort of outline of his long-term plan heading to Beijing. Of course, that doesn't seem to be his focus so much as 4A and improving for the sake of improving. I think he's kind of zen about the Olympics now that he's got 2 OGM. 

1 hour ago, kiches said:

I think this was David Wilson’s idea. From what David and Brian have said a couple years back what Yuzu always wanted to skate to was Phantom of the Opera, but David clearly didn’t want to choreograph a Phantom program (I suspect this may be why Brian found Shae to choreograph a Phantom FS for Yuzu after Olympics). I think David in his TSL interview in 2016 mentioned he wanted Phantom for the Sochi Olympic season as well, but that it was Brian who suggested Romeo and Juliet again. Maybe this is in the Team Brian book but I think Yuzu’s text response back to Brian was “I love it” or something along those lines. Back on the topic of Notre Dame, David said Yuzu liked it because Johnny skated to it, but I often wonder how much he really understood Yuzu because I remember in one of his interviews Yuzu struggled to remember the name of the music!

There’s a photo of the music suggestion list that fan sent where it asked him to mark with circles, triangles, and x’s which songs he didn’t like, likes, and really likes. Asian Dream Song was a “really like”. I think you can find this image on twitter somewhere although I had no idea if it came from a documentary (I’ve never seen it if it did) but among other songs listed I remember the same fan also had Man in the Iron Mask and Lord of the Rings listed but I can’t remember how he marked those. 

Oh God 😂😂😂

I can't imagine Yuzu skating to ANY music from LOTR lol. It's not something that he would suit (in my mind at least) 

My nerdgasm will explode if he did though..

If I were to pick music for Yuzu to skate to I'd have no idea what it would be. Instead, one day I'd love for him to let Shae pick music for him and for him to continue letting Jeff suggest music for him. I think Otonal is the first SP music he's asked for with Jeff. I just love their collaborations and have loved all of Jeff's choices for him so far (Parisienne Walkways, Ballade no. 1, and Let's Go Crazy). They've worked together so many years I'm sure Jeff has a lot of ideas and music sitting in his playlist. Shae as well, but sometimes I look at the music choices she's given other skaters and I'm not sure if I always trust her :umm:.

4 hours ago, kiches said:

It was Yuzu's decision to do R&J 2.0 in the 2013-2014 season. I think David said that Yuzu wrote him a letter and asked him to choreograph R&J in that TSL interview. Yuzu also said in a radio show hosted by Shizuka that he chose the music because he wanted to skate to a musical piece that he could empathize with (I guess NDDP was a bit hard to relate to...) Another reason he revisited the theme was that he saw Sochi as the culmination of the preceding 4 years including the life-changing 2011. Brian's decision Yuzu responded with "I LOVE IT" was to do POTO in 2014-2015.

Rest is a response to the current topic:

As to the choice to skate Ballade No.1 instead of LGS, Noriko Shirota's book backs up the Yuzu's comment translated by wherespacepooh.

As to keeping Origin and Otonal, I don't even think it is "recycling." He is still competing and he is still doing it aiming to win, but I don't think what he is doing now is completely the same as before PyeongChang. He has already won two Olympics. He has been sacrificing many things including his health. Does he have to give up two programs he wants to present in complete forms with win to please judges? Just because he has already used it for a season? At this stage, to compete that way doesn't pay at all, I think. If his choice makes him feel motivated or fulfilling, that, in the end, should be the strategically best choice as well.

8 hours ago, shanshani said:

Booooo my youtube upload of the Sendai performance of Masquerade was copyright-struck today. It had over half a million views too. Does this site have a copy?

I'm late and I'm not sure because last summer I dled and grabbed gdrive links all over the place,but you can check:)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ihA46AWRBBeQqtMUQg9W76QEGSVAo-Rj

5 hours ago, kiches said:

I remember the same fan also had Man in the Iron Mask and Lord of the Rings listed but I can’t remember how he marked those. 

Both would be really interesting programs for Yuzu to do, I think. Although when it comes to LoTR, I feel like Yuzu would be one of the hobbits if he was in the Fellowship. Can't picture him quite as the desperate and embittered Boromir or the long-suffering Aragorn. 

Maybe he'd be Gimli? All dwarves love gold just like Yuzu. 

2 hours ago, kiches said:

Shae as well, but sometimes I look at the music choices she's given other skaters and I'm not sure if I always trust her

Just based on stuff Shae's said in interviews, I get the impression she starts by asking the skater what they have in mind and then comes up with suggestions based on that and waits for the skater to say 'yes' or 'no',and shapes things from there. So I'm not sure if you can lay all the responsibility for questionable choices at her door.