General Yuzuru Chat

I remember that pre-Olympic interview, it probably came out right around media day. 

From what I recall Yuzu said he originally wanted to reuse Let’s Go Crazy since he wanted to skate it cleanly, but Shirota talked him out of it saying that it’s better to have a classic program for the Olympics. So I think he was persuaded, and honestly it probably worked out for the best given how things happened. 

42 minutes ago, kiches said:

From what I recall Yuzu said he originally wanted to reuse Let’s Go Crazy since he wanted to skate it cleanly,

LGC at the Olympics would have been EPIC! Plus this indicates that he really does think of it as unfinished business. Who knows? Maybe we will see it again.

2 hours ago, quadaxelwin said:

What I'm looking forward to is a new spirit of the athletes documentary. I want to see the life of Yuzu after his 2nd olympic win. Preferably an hour documentary or even longer

Something like that is almost already mostly finished.  My feeling is that it will be aired upon Yuzu's retirement from competition.  That way the story (at least that chapter of it) is complete.

Just now, micaelis said:

Something like that is almost already mostly finished.  My feeling is that it will be aired upon Yuzu's retirement from competition.  That way the story (at least that chapter of it) is complete.

I do have this feeling some big JP tv station already is filming him in secret. 

So they can reveal a suprise documentary later.

TBS used to document the Honda sisters figure skating life for nearly a whole year and released it in a 1 hour documentary called "Watashitachi no level 4".

So I'm hoping for something like that. 

A documentary that has been filming for a year or more are usually better quality. I feel the last documentary by NNN? Or NHN was it? 

It was so long ago. We need one after PC olympics. 

I'm hoping they are filming here and there until Beijing or until he retires.

Or better they can release a documentaty every season. 

2 hours ago, Veveco said:

Yuzuru doesn't need to read fanyus' opinion to decide what to do next. He knows the game better than any of us. It's his choice alone, with some influence from his team, but ultimately his choice. 

He did say he reads fan opinions time to time, but probably mostly just japanese fs fan opinions (which are mostly nice anyway, except 2chan). 

I've rarely seen a japanese fanyu complain openly about any of Yuzu's career choices. They are usually more reserved. 

3 hours ago, quadaxelwin said:

He did say he reads fan opinions time to time, but probably mostly just japanese fs fan opinions (which are mostly nice anyway, except 2chan). 

I've rarely seen a japanese fanyu complain openly about any of Yuzu's career choices. They are usually more reserved. 

Reading comments doesn't mean that he bases his decisions on them. I think he knows himself and the business too well to be that influenced by random online comments.

And honestly? If there was even the slightest chance that Yuzu would read *my* comments, the last thing I'd want to do is pressure him into doing what I think is best. Even when our choices differ, I stick to the opinion that he should live his life as he sees fit rather than try to please fans. There's no pleasing everyone anyway - we all have different opinions.

I think something to consider about things Yuzuru says (about his plans, his performances, his motivations, etc), I believe he says things that maybe are not exactly true, but suit his purposes at the moment. Not that he LIES, exactly, but none of would dispute he thinks DEEPLY about figure skating, he probably knows damn well what impact every word he says has, and he has strategies and long term goals that we will only know bout when he WANTS us to know. 

I think it was recent commentary by Ambessi on the subject of Yuzu not being scored adequately for his transitions and complexity. After Skate Canada Yuzu said he was relieved to finally get scores that did reward his efforts, otherwise he was considering reducing transitions to make it easier to cleanly land jumps. Ambessi more or less said that Yuzu was bluffing, he CANNOT reduce complexity in his skating because he is not built that way. It would not be HIM if he tried to 'skate like Nathan'. I agree with Ambessi, Yuzu was just taking the opportunity to discuss it and 'threaten' to change his style if he doesn't get rewarded. And I think it was good of Yuzu to talk about it like that. The Powers That Be deserve to be 'scared' he would actually downgrade himself, subconsciously at least they must know that is NOT the direction figure skating should go.

32 minutes ago, BrightonDogwoods said:

I think something to consider about things Yuzuru says (about his plans, his performances, his motivations, etc), I believe he says things that maybe are not exactly true, but suit his purposes at the moment. Not that he LIES, exactly, but none of would dispute he thinks DEEPLY about figure skating, he probably knows damn well what impact every word he says has, and he has strategies and long term goals that we will only know bout when he WANTS us to know. 

I think it was recent commentary by Ambessi on the subject of Yuzu not being scored adequately for his transitions and complexity. After Skate Canada Yuzu said he was relieved to finally get scores that did reward his efforts, otherwise he was considering reducing transitions to make it easier to cleanly land jumps. Ambessi more or less said that Yuzu was bluffing, he CANNOT reduce complexity in his skating because he is not built that way. It would not be HIM if he tried to 'skate like Nathan'. I agree with Ambessi, Yuzu was just taking the opportunity to discuss it and 'threaten' to change his style if he doesn't get rewarded. And I think it was good of Yuzu to talk about it like that. The Powers That Be deserve to be 'scared' he would actually downgrade himself, subconsciously at least they must know that is NOT the direction figure skating should go.

I completely agree. Yuzuru is a very headstrong person. He might not be dismissive of people's opinions, as he is too polite and attentionate for that, but he certainly won't be swayed with a comment or two... We're talking about someone who has faced criticism all his life! Moreover, as Orser said many times, Yuzuru is a very private person. I personally do not expect him to lay his heart *completely* bare to his fans or blabber about his future plans to the media to chew on his words over and over or worse, use them against him. This doesn't take anything away from his honesty of course, but dealing with the media, you sometimes are forced to comment on subjects you'd rather not to, so being smart is the way to go.

6 hours ago, vd_turnan said:

I don't think people complain about the same songs beings used by so many skaters, but by him using the same songs again and again.

On the other hand, no offense, but Nathan's La Boheme is not that modern, it's from the '60s. Marton's Art on Ice is from the 2000s.

Personally, I wouldn't want him to repeat again next year, because I would feel that he's becoming obsessive about the programs (more than usual) and that's not a healthy mentality for him to have.

well let's face it there's not a lot of variety in FS when it comes to music,few dare to pick less known pieces.

And by new entry this season I meant skating season ,of course La Boheme it's not a modern song :)

This said I think Yuzuru has a vision of how a program could evolve and that could be one of the reason he kept both of his "babies" this year.

I had a feeling also that his idea was different pre injury,i had the gut feeling he was going to do one last season ,land the 4A get his GPF,National and Worlds titles back and say thank you all see you next.

That ankle of his sort of made him change his plans and maybe he thought it would be smarter to skate something he knew already...but again it's just a theory.

this said he's a 2 times OGM ,he's above these silly complains about being boring,he can really do what he wants,the quality of his skating speaks for it.

6 hours ago, kiches said:

I remember that pre-Olympic interview, it probably came out right around media day. 

From what I recall Yuzu said he originally wanted to reuse Let’s Go Crazy since he wanted to skate it cleanly, but Shirota talked him out of it saying that it’s better to have a classic program for the Olympics. So I think he was persuaded, and honestly it probably worked out for the best given how things happened. 

https://wherespacepooh.tumblr.com/post/164825368894/yuzuru-hanyu-interview-from-media-day-kateigaho/amp?__twitter_impression=true

here’s the source

5 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

But it's very thrifty of him to recycle and lots of other skaters do it.  Top choreographers are expensive and it can take days to develop a new program. Reusing is efficient and economical. 

I don’t think that thrift and efficiency are the reasons for Yuzu recycling his programs. He is a multimillionaire and money is no object. I don’t think that efficiency even plays a part in his thinking.

I believe that Yuzu is one of those very rare people who have the ability to envision his life long term and perhaps even his destiny and meticulously plan steps to accomplish that vision.

I don’t think that he is influenced by fan comments or any other extraneous pressures. I believe that he sets goals for himself and any pressure that he feels is that which comes from within. He wants technical and artistic perfection and he wants to win.

If he decides to continue to work on Otonal and Origin, he has clear, specific ideas as to what he wants to accomplish with them and when he does, he is going to blow everyone’s minds.