General Yuzuru Chat

4 hours ago, caterpillar said:

While this is true, if I recall correctly Yuzu originally wanted to recycle Let’s go Crazy for the Olympic season for this reason, but was advised to choose Chopin instead. So I actually think all three of these instances can be explained with the fact that it was the Olympics, and Yuzu wanted these significant programs for that season.

I remember reading this too but have no clue where it's from.

The thing with Yuzu and recycling is: he has multiple absolutely legit reasons to do so and he proofs to be right with his decisions everytime.

Remember? FaOI 2017: News came out that Yuzu recycles Chopin for a third time and people were like "sigh... again?!"

Then he skated a clean version with 4Lo in Makuhari and everyone was mesmerized. Recycling? What's that.

ACI 2019: Many people wanted LGC back or hoped for a new SP and were disappointed, when Otonal appeared in his updated ISU bio.

Then we had the first SC practice session on Thursday. Yuzu skates not only a clean RT, but with stellar quality as well and everyone's dead.

SC 2019: People hope for Masquerade, LGC or new EX. What do we get? PW for the 31645794794596548th time. Problem?

Everyone's going crazy and rewatching the performance in 24h loop. Another 48h loop of Jordan's practice clip. At least.

Now my questions:

1. Would people who criticize Yuzu for recycling, do the same with Nathan, if he brought back Nemesis or Caravan? (some maybe, but I have my doubts)

2. If Yuzu didn't recycle, would these people praise him then? (I bet my salary that they would find another 34890327890 things to nitpick about)

12 minutes ago, Henni147 said:

2. If Yuzu didn't recycle, would these people praise him then? (I bet my salary that they would find another 34890327890 things to nitpick about)

I'll add my stipend into that as well.

It's as if we haven't been around this sport for longer than a season, honestly.

It doesn't matter what Zu does, someone will have something negative to say.

So, let. the. boy. do. what. he. wants.

If he wants to land 4A precisely at the gong sound of Origin, let him do it. Better yet, wish hard that he would do it.

p.s. I myself, don't like Origin - not the way I like and love both H&L and Seimei.

5 hours ago, caterpillar said:

While this is true, if I recall correctly Yuzu originally wanted to recycle Let’s go Crazy for the Olympic season for this reason, but was advised to choose Chopin instead. So I actually think all three of these instances can be explained with the fact that it was the Olympics, and Yuzu wanted these significant programs for that season.

4 hours ago, quadaxelwin said:

Where did you get this info from? Interview link please  :nod2:

I've never heard he wanted to recycle LGC before

I have read somewhere that there was a plan originally for LGC to be his Olympic Short (not specifically from Yuzuru but from his team - maybe when music choice and choreo were being worked on) but that he never felt fully comfortable with the programme during the 16/17 season, whereas he loved (loves!) Chopin, felt it could be developed even further, and thus went with that for the Olympic season.

52 minutes ago, Henni147 said:

Remember? FaOI 2017: News came out that Yuzu recycles Chopin for a third time and people were like "sigh... again?!"

Then he skated a clean version with 4Lo in Makuhari and everyone was mesmerized. Recycling? What's that.

ACI 2019: Many people wanted LGC back or hoped for a new SP and were disappointed, when Otonal appeared in his updated ISU bio.

Then we had the first practice session on Thursday. Yuzu skates not only a clean RT, but with stellar quality as well and everyone's dead.

ACI 2019: People hope for Masquerade, LGC or new EX. What do we get? PW for the 31645794794596548th time. Problem?

Everyone's going crazy and rewatching the performance in 24h loop. Another 48h loop of Jordan's practice clip. At least.

Excellent post and so very true! :joy:

1 hour ago, yuzupon said:

It doesn't matter what Zu does, someone will have something negative to say.

Something like...

"Haha! Yuzu has never won 4CC!" ---> Yuzu wins 4CC.

"But he has never won CoC!" ---> Yuzu wins CoC.

"Ah... but he has never won IdF!" ---> Yuzu wins IdF.

"Oh, and he has never won Skate America!" ---> Yuzu wins Skate America.

"Hehe, but he has only won Worlds twice!" ---> Yuzu wins Worlds 10 times.

"Boo... Yuzu has never won Euros!!" ---> Yuzu gets Spanish passport and wins Euros.

Now the tabloids are REALLY fired up... :smiley-devil:

Whatever he does, people will always find something, if they want to.

24 minutes ago, Henni147 said:

Something like...

"Haha! Yuzu has never won 4CC!" ---> Yuzu wins 4CC.

"Hehe, but he has only won Worlds twice!" ---> Yuzu wins Worlds 10 times.

"But he has never won CoC!" ---> Yuzu wins CoC.

"Ah... but he has never won IdF!" ---> Yuzu wins IdF.

"Oh, and he has never won Skate America!" ---> Yuzu wins Skate America.

"Boo... Yuzu has never won Euros!!" ---> Yuzu gets Spanish passport and wins Euros.

Now the tabloids are REALLY fired up... :smiley-devil:

Whatever he does, people will always find something, if they want to.

Honestly, I can see all of those happening, except for the Spanish passport one... sadly, Japanese citizens can't have double citizenship, so to get Spanish one, Yuzu would have to give up his Japanese citizenship, which is never going to happen. But maybe the Japanese lawmakers could change that law and allow double citizenship by then :P Or Europe could allow Japanese skaters to participate, the same way Australians can participate in Eurovision :P (I think...)

13 hours ago, mercedes said:

Funny how people complain about recycling when the field is full of Queen Piazzolla Turandot Carmen  POTO Romeo and Juliet Swan Lake Muse Coldplay (and this season new entry french emo songs:biggrin:)and any other warhorses in general, I find it pretty amusing 🤣

14 hours ago, Vulnavia said:

I hate to be pessimistic, but I don't think the judges will respond favorably if he recycles again next season. He's already fighting against the narratives coming from some corners that he's old news and should just retire and that skaters like Nathan are growing so much artistically with their "modern" and "innovative" choreo and music choices. (And this season, even some Yuzu fans felt that there wasn't really a burning need to keep Otonal as a short program when he'd already skated it so well last season.) Although we all know that Yuzu is always deserving of high scores regardless of the program thanks to the quality of his skating, I'm not sure that keeping the same free skate for three seasons in a row would be a good move PR wise at the moment. Hopefully he'll be able to perform it to his satisfaction this season, or at least shelve it until the Olympic season if it comes to that.

I don't think people complain about the same songs beings used by so many skaters, but by him using the same songs again and again.

On the other hand, no offense, but Nathan's La Boheme is not that modern, it's from the '60s. Marton's Art on Ice is from the 2000s.

Personally, I wouldn't want him to repeat again next year, because I would feel that he's becoming obsessive about the programs (more than usual) and that's not a healthy mentality for him to have.

He probably doesn't feel that much pressure to try new programs though. Japanese fanyus are very supportive of his choices to recycle and rarely make any objections to his choices. And I'm guessing Yuzu mostly reads Fanyu JP twitter, since that's the language he is most comfortable reading etc.

What I'm looking forward to is a new spirit of the athletes documentary. I want to see the life of Yuzu after his 2nd olympic win. Preferably an hour documentary or even longer. 

10 hours ago, Henni147 said:

Boo... Yuzu has never won Euros!!" ---> Yuzu gets Spanish passport and wins Euros.

This. Spanish Yuzu for 2021! :xD:

Joking apart, I think the real reason people complain about Yuzu recycling is simply because every single program he does is so good that they want to see as much new stuff from him as possible and revel in his creativity and talent. On that front, they do have a point.

But it's very thrifty of him to recycle and lots of other skaters do it.  Top choreographers are expensive and it can take days to develop a new program. Reusing is efficient and economical. :nod2: