General Yuzuru Chat

27 minutes ago, quadaxelwin said:

Yuzu said at a press conference after Skate Canada that he wants to jump 4A with the origin song.....

Does that mean if he can't land 4A this season that he'll recyle origin again next year? 

:headdesk:

I like origin but I don't want to see it for 3 seasons.......

That's what I thought when I saw press con... It's like he's indirectly saying 'I'll skate Origin til I retire', I'm not sure what his drive is to compete after landing 4A. Like I'm not even positive he'll land it next season, which means not only 3xOrigin :war:

Ofc as a fan I want to see new programs, but if it's Yuzu's choice I can deal with that. At least he let us know in advance to avoid false hope :LOL:

4 hours ago, quadaxelwin said:

Does that mean if he can't land 4A this season that he'll recyle origin again next year? 

:headdesk:

I like origin but I don't want to see it for 3 seasons.......

When he spoke about using these programmes for this season, he said that Origin might take 3-4 years to perfect.......if he doesn't land 4A this or next season, these could be his Beijing programmes never mind just next season!! :9:

I hate to be pessimistic, but I don't think the judges will respond favorably if he recycles again next season. He's already fighting against the narratives coming from some corners that he's old news and should just retire and that skaters like Nathan are growing so much artistically with their "modern" and "innovative" choreo and music choices. (And this season, even some Yuzu fans felt that there wasn't really a burning need to keep Otonal as a short program when he'd already skated it so well last season.) Although we all know that Yuzu is always deserving of high scores regardless of the program thanks to the quality of his skating, I'm not sure that keeping the same free skate for three seasons in a row would be a good move PR wise at the moment. Hopefully he'll be able to perform it to his satisfaction this season, or at least shelve it until the Olympic season if it comes to that.

1 hour ago, Songster01 said:

Does anyone happen to have the short clips of Yuzu in Origin 2.0 doing bits of choreo for the GP series promo put out by a Japanese TV channel?  No need to dig, just if you have a link handy.  I looked at the compilation pages but couldn't find it...

Do you mean these?

8 hours ago, monchan said:

That's what I thought when I saw press con... It's like he's indirectly saying 'I'll skate Origin til I retire', I'm not sure what his drive is to compete after landing 4A. Like I'm not even positive he'll land it next season, which means not only 3xOrigin :war:

Ofc as a fan I want to see new programs, but if it's Yuzu's choice I can deal with that. At least he let us know in advance to avoid false hope :LOL:

I like origin as much as the next fanyu, but I wish Yuzu would know that 4A will fit well with other music besides origin. Yuzu is the type where he gets so pulled into 1 music piece, that it's like he forgets there is an abundance of different music and genres out there. I love his challenger spirit, but I wish he had the same enthusiasm for different types of music genre outside his comfort zone. I love him nonetheless, but both his PC olympic programs were recycles (chopin 3 times), and I was kind of disappointed that this season we will get no new programs. 

Nevertheless, fans might understand his recycle habits, but there may come a time when the judges aren't happy with it. It doesn't help that his rival Nathan always brings new music every season. I dislike TSL but their recent Skate Canada podcast also mentioned how the judges are gonna bring up the fact that he is repeating both his programs when push comes to shove (when Nathan and him are close this season). 

So it's ironic that whilst Yuzu might be repeating origin to win, it might also be a reason that pulls him down. 

And even outside the judges, regular skating fans, or casual watchers might get bored of seeing the same program over and over. If I was Brian I would advise Yuzu not to repeat origin anymore, but again I am not the coach. But from a pure entertainment perspective, average viewers want to see him try something new before he retires. He is a jewel and I don't know why he doesn't believe in himself to know that he is a rare skater that can express himself in so many different genres, music styles. 

I don’t think he doesn’t believe in himself.  He has done different types of music in the past, however it’s true that certain types of music suit him better (like, classical, ethereal).  I don’t want to see him skate to something like Nathan’s Rocketman program!  (that choreo sequence.....).  As Tracy Wilson said during her commentary for Skate Canada, Yuzu is someone who believes in himself and this is actually what makes him a champion.

I think there are several factors for him to recycle both programs this year.  The biggest factor is that he is focusing on upping his tech/quad jumps this year in order to compete Nathan.  Judging by how the judges are scoring nowadays (eye roll), he is absolutely correct that he cannot rely on his higher GOEs and PCS, the gaps of both of these things between him and Nathan are actually (wrongfully) diminishing.

Another factor is that he feels that both programs are unfinished business - he didn’t get to skate to them that much last season and he wants to perfect both programs to their fullest.  Even for Otonal, many of us thinks that it was already perfect at Rostelecom last year, however I think Yuzu said in an interview that it was only around 30%!  Case in point, he brought back the twizzle sandwich 3A this year and got the first ever perfect GOE in any jumps since the new scoring system.  Even for Origin 2.0 at Skate Canada, to him it’s only at 20-30%! (seriously, I can’t with this kid....)

He has probably weighed all the risk and benefits of recycling, and judging by his track record, he has always been right in all his calculations.  So I will just trust in him to know what’s best for himself!

24 minutes ago, holina said:

I don’t think he doesn’t believe in himself.  He has done different types of music in the past, however it’s true that certain types of music suit him better (like, classical, ethereal).  I don’t want to see him skate to something like Nathan’s Rocketman program!  (that choreo sequence.....).  As Tracy Wilson said during her commentary for Skate Canada, Yuzu is someone who believes in himself and this is actually what makes him a champion.

I think there are several factors for him to recycle both programs this year.  The biggest factor is that he is focusing on upping his tech/quad jumps this year in order to compete Nathan.  Judging by how the judges are scoring nowadays (eye roll), he is absolutely correct that he cannot rely on his higher GOEs and PCS, the gaps of both of these things between him and Nathan are actually (wrongfully) diminishing.

Another factor is that he feels that both programs are unfinished business - he didn’t get to skate to them that much last season and he wants to perfect both programs to their fullest.  Even for Otonal, many of us thinks that it was already perfect at Rostelecom last year, however I think Yuzu said in an interview that it was only around 30%!  Case in point, he brought back the twizzle sandwich 3A this year and got the first ever perfect GOE in any jumps since the new scoring system.  Even for Origin 2.0 at Skate Canada, to him it’s only at 20-30%! (seriously, I can’t with this kid....)

He has probably weighed all the risk and benefits of recycling, and judging by his track record, he has always been right in all his calculations.  So I will just trust in him to know what’s best for himself!

It will be great as long as he doesn't make recycling a reputation. There is only so much you can push the judges if you recycle a program for 3 seasons. 

I also think he should try new programs to increase his pcs as the judges might just be giving low pcs because recycled programs may become boring to them, less exciting.