General Yuzuru Chat

4 hours ago, Old Cat Lady said:

According to Plush, Yuzu can win 4 Olympics so I guess we have a lot more skating to watch, lol

That doesn't say much about the current crop of juniors, does it? Basically Plush is saying no one like Yuzu will rise up for at least another 8 years...

I guess it all depends on how long Yuzu will be able to have this competitive fire within him to win, and on remaining injury free. 

4 hours ago, Old Cat Lady said:

I wish they could move Thanksgiving.  There are more important things going on! I'm committed to visiting relatives who don't have internet.  I'll have to watch on my phone :sigh:

Yes, move Thanksgiving to the second weekend in October instead - no comps then! 

3 hours ago, Salior said:

If Yuzu wins 3 Olympics, it'll be the first in 98 years I think 

Yes, it will be.  If he wins four he will do what nobody has done.  The 2026 games will be in two cities in northern Italy.  All the stadium events will obviously be in Milan so that's where Yuzu 'will be heading.  If he is there with three Olympic titles under his belt he will be by far the greatest story there, something like Michael Phelps' quest for eight golds in one Olympics was at the 2008 games in Beijing.  In the past Yuzu's primary journalist following has been largely Japanese but this would make him the focus of journalists everywhere.  Even the Americans will be paying close attention.  If we thought the attention paid to Yuzu at PC and we can be sure there will be widespread interest if he goes to Beijing, in 2026 Milan Yuzu will be living and operating in the proverbial fishbowl.  If he should win the gold the story will be front-page news (the general paper, not the sports section) everywhere.  If there's any thought of him as GOAT any doubts will be erased.  He will be the GOAT.  It couldn't happen to a nicer person.

2 minutes ago, micaelis said:

Yes, it will be.  If he wins four he will do what nobody has done.  The 2026 games will be in two cities in northern Italy.  All the stadium events will obviously be in Milan so that's where Yuzu 'will be heading.  If he is there with three Olympic titles under his belt he will be by far the greatest story there, something like Michael Phelps' quest for eight golds in one Olympics was at the 2008 games in Beijing.  In the past Yuzu's primary journalist following has been largely Japanese but this would make him the focus of journalists everywhere.  Even the Americans will be paying close attention.  If we thought the attention paid to Yuzu at PC and we can be sure there will be widespread interest if he goes to Beijing, in 2026 Milan Yuzu will be living and operating in the proverbial fishbowl.  If he should win the gold the story will be front-page news (the general paper, not the sports section) everywhere.  If there's any thought of him as GOAT any doubts will be erased.  He will be the GOAT.  It couldn't happen to a nicer person.

I think talking about 4 at this point is a little too much, isn't it? Odds of making it to Beijing look reasonable enough, especially with the rest of the field looking fairly weak outside of Nathan, but I honestly have a hard time imagining any skater's body holding up for 4 Olympic cycles. I guess Voronov is still skating and landing quads, but Voronov never competed at Yuzu's level.

Plush def knew russian skating inside out so its not that hard to predict the weather and pick the one with stronger momentum at that time aka Alina. Rmb that their scores in PC were SO close it all depended on the judge.

About Yuzu's case, i feel he picked Yuzu purely from his long time trust and belief in Yuzu's strength rather than some psychic ability. Plush, even before PC, has always talked highly about Yuzu. Not any top young skater but only Yuzu. Plus i think he knew his words are very important to yuzu, who admired him for lifetime, so saying things like yuzu can win 4 olympics might be a great encouragement to Yuzu.

52 minutes ago, shanshani said:

I think talking about 4 at this point is a little too much, isn't it? Odds of making it to Beijing look reasonable enough, especially with the rest of the field looking fairly weak outside of Nathan, but I honestly have a hard time imagining any skater's body holding up for 4 Olympic cycles. I guess Voronov is still skating and landing quads, but Voronov never competed at Yuzu's level.

Is that really fair to say about Voronov, though? Yes, he's obviously not on the same level as Yuzu as a skater. But he goes to the same level of competitions. 

Anyway, if anyone knows about doing four Olympics and competing til your body cries for mercy, it would be Plush. If he says Yuzu could do it, I believe it. But would Yuzu do it, is the question. I'm not convinced. Personally I think Yuzu is already in a realm he never expected to be, still competing strong after two Olympics, and that he's taking things competition by competition, day by day. What he said in his interview after SCI bears witness to that. 

33 minutes ago, monchan said:

Plush def knew russian skating inside out so its not that hard to predict the weather and pick the one with stronger momentum at that time aka Alina. Rmb that their scores in PC were SO close it all depended on the judge.

About Yuzu's case, i feel he picked Yuzu purely from his long time trust and belief in Yuzu's strength rather than some psychic ability. Plush, even before PC, has always talked highly about Yuzu. Not any top young skater but only Yuzu. Plus i think he knew his words are very important to yuzu, who admired him for lifetime, so saying things like yuzu can win 4 olympics might be a great encouragement to Yuzu.

I was joking about the psychic ability, by the way. I'm just saying that Plush recognized Yuzu's potential surprisingly early on. 

Why don’t we all calm down, and with the last two seasons in mind, take a leaf out of his own book and concentrate on NHK for now.

I think Pluschenko, although he is a very different personality, recognises something of his own hunger to be at the top in Yuzuru.  However I’m not sure he understands the drive for self improvement that Yuzuru has in spades which makes him this figure skating hermit pursuing his skating goals and his degree to the exclusion of everything else.  IIRC Plushy enjoys life and rather took his foot off the gas at times when he felt no one was a real rival to him.  That’s not to belittle his achievements, but I don’t think he was the perfectionist that Yuzuru is.  He was angry that Lysacek beat him, not that he himself didn’t perform so perfectly that no one could beat him, and that’s the difference I think.

1 hour ago, micaelis said:

Yuzu himself already wanted to land 4A and quit last year, so I'm not sure what his motivation will be to continue skating for another quad after Beijing. He has so much to do after all, and competing sacrifices so much. He also stated that if he thinks he can't win, he won't even compete. He'll be taking up a spot from the juniors like Sato and Yuma, so unless the field is really empty, I don't really see him keeping competing. He's not like some other skaters who can't imagine their lives outside of competing, he does have a very rich one and he have dreams with his ice show and contributing back to his community or FS by coaching or something. If he doesn't have a goal, he won't do it. 

2 hours ago, Sombreuil said:

Why don’t we all calm down, and with the last two seasons in mind, take a leaf out of his own book and concentrate on NHK for now.

I think Pluschenko, although he is a very different personality, recognises something of his own hunger to be at the top in Yuzuru.  However I’m not sure he understands the drive for self improvement that Yuzuru has in spades which makes him this figure skating hermit pursuing his skating goals and his degree to the exclusion of everything else.  IIRC Plushy enjoys life and rather took his foot off the gas at times when he felt no one was a real rival to him.  That’s not to belittle his achievements, but I don’t think he was the perfectionist that Yuzuru is.  He was angry that Lysacek beat him, not that he himself didn’t perform so perfectly that no one could beat him, and that’s the difference I think.

As I've said before, Yuzuru Hanyu is the Miyamoto Musashi of figure skating.

Hiya folks apologies for taking the topic  a few pages back but apparently a representative(?) from ISU forced Jordan (On Ice Perspective) to take down the gala practice videos he posted on instagram :/ :/ :/ :/ :/

I just hope he can still post his videos (the full version of all the EX he recorded, not just Yuzu's) someplace else, seriously at this point ISU is really a bunch of dinosaurs... :knc_brian3:

44 minutes ago, Figure_Frenzy said:

Hiya folks apologies for taking the topic  a few pages back but apparently a representative(?) from ISU forced Jordan (On Ice Perspective) to take down the gala practice videos he posted on instagram :/ :/ :/ :/ :/

I just hope he can still post his videos (the full version of all the EX he recorded, not just Yuzu's) someplace else, seriously at this point ISU is really a bunch of dinosaurs... :knc_brian3:

I'm devastated. :Poohgaveup:

EDIT: I hope that Jordan can create his own platform 100% independent from the ISU, get skyrocketing clicks and likes and show everyone what passionate love for figure skating is.

45 minutes ago, Figure_Frenzy said:

Noo, the video has been removed also from Twitter. Why ISU has to destroy everything I love in skating?! I truly hate those clowns.