General Yuzuru Chat

22 minutes ago, BWOZWaltz said:

Can you imagine the horror if a torn piece of the costume had fell on the ice ending 1 point deduction for Yuzu? Not this time but what if his score didn't reach a new WR because of it? :smiley-scared003:

:o sadistic mind you have there lol, that'd be the tragedy of the century

another translation of the article about 4Lz 

42 minutes ago, tafattsbarn said:

Poor Satomi :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:

Hesitated to post this here since i'm not sure it's the type of content that is supposed to be posted (despite lurking on this site for almost two years and being sporadically active for over a year lmao) but i thought it was cute so going for it anyways. This is what happens when you never post in the general thread ;-; Sorry if it fits better somewhere else! 

Satomi's insta stories about the competition are hilarious :68468287:

18 minutes ago, shanshani said:

I think people are just trying to avoid attributing to Yuzu something he didn't mean, especially since the Lutz issue is a controversial topic and no one wants to get Yuzu embroiled in controversy he didn't mean to get embroiled in. Of course, there is another line that supports the idea that Yuzu has concerns about pre-rotation too in the answer to the next question, but it's a bit weaker. It's also only one component of what he said though--it's clear he is unhappy with trends in the scoring of the sport in general, regardless of how his words about the lutz in particular should be interpreted. (Though he feels like his scores at SCI were a win for his vision of the sport, if only a minor one.)

I'm not very familiar with the conversations around what he said at CWW (I vaguely remember thinking what he said was ambiguous and hard to interpret, but being concerned for him in case the worst interpretations were true), but it's lame that people were bullying others because they understood his words differently. I don't think that's what's happening here, however. We're just trying to get his words right.

(also, mods, can this line of conversation be moved the the sponichi thread?)

yea I've spoken to some fans who really hated IK and called her arrogant and a liar for translating the word as it is (basically something about how he thought of dying) because other 2nd/3rd lang translators toned it down. They called her untrustworthy, questioned her ability to translate, dragged her reputation through the mud everywhere, then blocked her, even though she's a native in both languages. It's horrifying how badly some of us can behave when it comes to dealing with things we don't want to deal with.

I'm not surprised that he used to have those thoughts at that time, considering the nation-wide attention on a gossip by the Gintama director who calls him "attention seeking", which gained a lot of support from antis, and caused a lot of fights with the fans. It's entirely reasonable that he would feel that way, but people who never experienced depression think it's impossible and dismissed that, then attacked others who dared to translate otherwise for "lying". 

We can change how we interpret it, but we cannot change the words he spoke. She put in the original words he said in the translation and left it for the people to decide, but apparently that wasn't enough for them. 

3 hours ago, quadaxelwin said:

Meanwhile I'm thinking how he is going to get even more sponsorship and commercial model contracts if he does well this season AGAIN. Like this guy is a miracle in that he is still improving after his "golden years". The hype around him will only get bigger now as ISU and SBS are loose on youtube copyrights now. More people have access to his videos now that ISU is uploading his free and sp on their channel for all countries. 

I wonder how many seasons it will take for a big sports brand like Under Armor or Nike or Adidas to finally grab him and offer an international ambassador model contract for their sports brand. I once read that for an athlete, becoming the global ambassador for a sports wear brand is the biggest achievement you can make modelling wise, as they offer great amounts of cash and fame (like how Cristiano Ronaldo was the global ambassador for Nike). Becoming a global model for a brand like Nike, would give the athlete more spot light, and raise his fame in the general public for people who aren't fans of the sport. 

I'm sometimes confused how Alina Zagitova and Evgenia Medvedeva got deals with Puma and Nike, but Yuzu hasn't. 

Yuzu has the looks, the height, the charisma, the youth, he has the whole package + phenomenal career to be a model for Under Armor even if it is just for Asia. 

Like, shouldn't Yuzu be the one getting more sportswear modelling deals more than anyone else in FS?

I know some people said it's because he wants to wear anything he wants, but I find it hard to believe. A global big brand sportswear brand modeling contract is not something an athlete can casually refuse for "freedom to wear whatever". 

The money and fame that comes with that kind of contract (with say Nike) is most likely astronomically higher than other brands. 

I used to think this way too, but after watching some videos about how badly these corporations control their "spokesperson", I'm just glad that Yuzu stayed away from that hellhole. The effect on him will be even more magnified considering his position, that's why he never signed up for any sports agency like Yuna etc, because that'll pretty much control everything in his life, from what he can say, what he can do, when he can do them. He'd be under so much pressure to recover last year for example, he'll likely be forced to open a social media account, or prohibited from switching gears. Some skaters like Mao was adversely affected by these "sponsors" during the Olympic season I think. 

Yuzu just need as little drama in his life as possible, he got plenty of them already. He can sign up for everything he wants after retirement, there's still a long road ahead. Money can never compensate for the mental stress from being forced to do things that are not good for you, but good for the corporation's pockets (like opening social media account for example). Some skaters might not mind it that much, but to Yuzu, he has a direction and he knows what he wants. For now I think he is wise to keep as much control over his own life as he can, so he can focus on what's important to him, and have less stress.

2 hours ago, Salior said:

I used to think this way too, but after watching some videos about how badly these corporations control their "spokesperson", I'm just glad that Yuzu stayed away from that hellhole. The effect on him will be even more magnified considering his position, that's why he never signed up for any sports agency like Yuna etc, because that'll pretty much control everything in his life, from what he can say, what he can do, when he can do them. He'd be under so much pressure to recover last year for example, he'll likely be forced to open a social media account, or prohibited from switching gears. Some skaters like Mao was adversely affected by these "sponsors" during the Olympic season I think. 

Yuzu just need as little drama in his life as possible, he got plenty of them already. He can sign up for everything he wants after retirement, there's still a long road ahead. Money can never compensate for the mental stress from being forced to do things that are not good for you, but good for the corporation's pockets (like opening social media account for example). Some skaters might not mind it that much, but to Yuzu, he has a direction and he knows what he wants. For now I think he is wise to keep as much control over his own life as he can, so he can focus on what's important to him, and have less stress.

ooh yeah good point. i don't think Nike sponsors any athlete with NO social media account. That's the whole point isn't it? As part of your contract you must post on your social media account with some regular frequency.

4 hours ago, BWOZWaltz said:

Can you imagine the horror if a torn piece of the costume had fell on the ice ending 1 point deduction for Yuzu? Not this time but what if his score didn't reach a new WR because of it? :smiley-scared003:

There's a little mini documentary of her making costumes and she showed how she glues each little sequin or stone on and then tests the fabric pulling with movement to make sure each little bit won't come off for this reason. I can't imagine how horrified Satomi herself would be if one of her costumes cost a skater a point. Especially since she's got a great track record with their reliability. I think maybe someone is a little more muscular now than when he was fitted for the costume. 

I wonder if this means we're getting a new one? Or the old one again? Or will this one just get mended? I really like this one. It's quite breathtaking in a way that makes it seem like the inverse of last season's Origin costume (which is the ultimate masterpiece of skating costumes). 

Slightly ranty with a touch of :salty:

Spoiler

Is anyone else finding this sudden change of media narrative (excluding that NBC piece) slightly odd?

You know, Tara and Johnny being all gushy, and Johnny bring back the whole "Yuzuru told me this summer" thing when he was super quiet and even slightly dismissive at times last year?

TSL similarly being gushy.

Phil Hersh with his whole, "Nathan might need to think about doing 6 quads to beat Hanyu" (Here if anyone missed it).

The official ISU twitter and Instagram posting the picture with the goat emoji.

Ted coming out openly saying that Yuzu is the best <- though this one is perhaps slightly less because Ted generally tries not to answer those questions rather than playing to the US/ISU media line, and he was working for Skate Canada rather than the ISU this weekend.

It makes me very suspicious  - what are they trying to achieve?

13 minutes ago, madraykin said:

Hide contents

Is anyone else finding this sudden change of media narrative (excluding that NBC piece) slightly odd?

You know, Tara and Johnny being all gushy, and Johnny bring back the whole "Yuzuru told me this summer" thing when he was super quiet and even slightly dismissive at times last year?

Phil Hersh with his whole, "Nathan might need to think about doing 6 quads to beat Hanyu" (Here if anyone missed it).

Ted coming out openly saying that Yuzu is the best <- though this one is perhaps slightly less because Ted generally tries not to answer those questions rather than playing to the US/ISU media line, and he was working for Skate Canada rather than the ISU this weekend.

The "oh we were always with him 110%", and the whole lie of we always believed in him". Bye, Felicia. The first "bad" season (by Yuzuru standards) and they bailed. Now he is doing well and it's back to singing his praises...looking at ypu Johnny 🙄.

That being said, just wait for when Nathan and Yuzuru share ice...we'll see where they stand.

17 hours ago, madraykin said:

Hide contents

I think they are recognizing that the GOAT might be back.  If you look at how Yuzu was before his two skates you should see that he has that kind of calm confidence he had at the 2015 NHK and GPF, where he captured the record book and stood astride the world of figure skating, not just men's skating, as the most phenomenal skater in memory.  I think he's seeing that this tenth season is the season in which he captures that Yuzu of late 2015.  If that's the case, what we saw this weekend might just be warmup.  NHK is next, and it would be fitting if in that contest and the GPF Yuzu once again takes total hold of the record book as he did in 2015.  We are living in interesting times.

5 minutes ago, micaelis said:

I think they are recognizing that the GOAT might be back.  If you look at how Yuzu was before two skates you should see that he has that kind of calm confidence he had at the 2015 NHK and GPF, where he captured the record book and stood astride the world of figure skating, not just men's skating, as the most phenomenal skater in memory.  I think he's seeing that this tenth season is the season in which he captures that Yuzu of late 2015.  If that's the case, what we saw this weekend might just be warmup.  NHK is next, and it would be fitting if in that contest and the GPF Yuzu once again takes total hold of the record book as he did in 2015.  We are living in interesting times.

Well I hope it's that. But I think I'm more pessimistic and cynical than you...