General Yuzuru Chat

18 minutes ago, river said:

Well, this is the same man who once showed up to a photoshoot, took a shower, and then showed off his abs to the photographers before they started shooting. Guess we shouldn't be too surprised this is what he did once he got some upper body muscle definition... :winky:

And we love him for it! 

Joking apart, I had thought he got stronger there but wasn't sure. It's nice he confirmed it. 

48 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Joking apart, I had thought he got stronger there but wasn't sure. It's nice he confirmed it. 

I wonder how much weight he's gained in the last couple years though.  He used to calculate his body fat because apparently there was a difference in the quality of his jumps when he veered from 4%.  What is several pounds of muscle going to do?  His jumps have looked heavier but I'm not sure how much is just injury vs. adjustment period while training new quads vs. adjusting to a new body composition

1 hour ago, river said:

Well, this is the same man who once showed up to a photoshoot, took a shower, and then showed off his abs to the photographers before they started shooting. Guess we shouldn't be too surprised this is what he did once he got some upper body muscle definition... :winky:

When did he do that?!? Is there a video?!? I mean, obviously not the showering, but the showing off his abs part? :redface:

10 minutes ago, Old Cat Lady said:

I wonder how much weight he's gained in the last couple years though.  He used to calculate his body fat because apparently there was a difference in the quality of his jumps when he veered from 4%.  What is several pounds of muscle going to do?  His jumps have looked heavier but I'm not sure how much is just injury vs. adjustment period while training new quads vs. adjusting to a new body composition

I was wondering this myself. In order to be able to get anywhere near the 4A he has to have found a happy medium between being muscular and solid enough for power/stability/rotational force, while still being light enough to maintain airiness and speed.

Speaking of muscles I think Yuzu has built up his abs too, or maybe was at a point at ACI where he'd increased his calorie intake and his in-season body fat % reduction hadn't kicked in yet. Or both - more muscles underneath making any slight gain more apparent. He has a little more belly curve than normal which I think is what makes Otonal 2.0 extra poofy looking in the midsection. I wonder if the O A K  T R E E  H A N Y U look will stay or if some of that bulk will melt away as the season progresses. 

1 hour ago, Old Cat Lady said:

Now you've got the physicist in me thinking:

1. The more homogenous and solid a rotating object is, the easier it will turn. Therefore, compact muscle and bone, which can be controlled consciously, would offer less resistance than fat, which is a non-rigid and effectively inanimate mass. Think of a glob of jelly clinging to a spoon. If you jerk the spoon, the momentum you impart makes the spoon move quickly, but the jelly doesn't transfer momentum well so it  moves slowly and falls off the spoon. Likewise with human fat. 

2. The more muscle fibers, the more power. Therefore a more muscled body can generate greater speed and momentum. It also means Yuzu can resist the centripetal force of the rotations better, which is the force that pulls rotating object outwards. So he can hold a tighter, faster rotation for longer. 

3. Higher mass means more power is needed to make the jump. But it also means that it generates more momentum once in motion.

4. The distribution of the mass matters and will affect rotational speed and (I'm guessing here) stability in the air (jump position). But I can think of ways in which it benefits as well as ways in which it detracts, so maybe it's a wash? 

In short, I think the benefits of having more muscle power outweigh the negatives of being heavier. But Yuzu must be carefully monitoring every aspect of this to make sure it works out. 

3 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Now you've got the physicist in me thinking:

1. The more homogenous and solid a rotating object is, the easier it will turn. Therefore, compact muscle and bone, which can be controlled consciously, would offer less resistance than fat, which is a non-rigid and effectively inanimate mass. Think of a glob of jelly clinging to a spoon. If you jerk the spoon, the momentum you impart makes the spoon move quickly, but the jelly doesn't transfer momentum well so it  moves slowly and falls off the spoon. Likewise with human fat. 

2. The more muscle fibers, the more power. Therefore a more muscled body can generate greater speed and momentum. It also mean Yuzu can resist the centripetal force of the rotations better, which is the force that pulls rotating object outwards. So he can hold a tighter, faster rotation for longer. 

3. Higher mass means more power is needed to make the jump. 

4. The distribution of the mass matters and will affect rotational speed and (I'm guessing here) stability in the air (jump position). But I can think of ways in which it benefits as well as ways in which it detracts, so maybe it's a wash? 

In short, I think the benefits of having more muscle power outweigh the negatives of being heavier. But Yuzu must be carefully monitoring every aspect of this to make sure it works out. 

the things you guys know...I'm kinda speechless but thank you for explaining it in such easy terms.

I think Otonal costume doesn't flatter him around the waist area but if you look at him in his UA gear it's pretty clear he's has wider shoulders and more defined arms and pecs and hopefully as you said this will help.

3 minutes ago, mercedes said:

the things you guys know...I'm kinda speechless but thank you for explaining it in such easy terms.

I think Otonal costume doesn't flatter him around the waist area but if you look at him in his UA gear it's pretty clear he's has wider shoulders and more defined arms and pecs and hopefully as you said this will help.

You're welcome and it's only high school physics. You can  do a couple simple tests with a spinning top or some such object  and try it for yourself. 

Yuzu's becoming a regular physics teaching aid. A textbook company should endorse him. :umm::LOL:

1 hour ago, Yuzurella said:

When did he do that?!? Is there a video?!? I mean, obviously not the showering, but the showing off his abs part? :redface:

Actually I think he told the photography crew that his waist was insane. This was written I think in Kateigaho feature by the actual crew. 

1 hour ago, Yuzurella said:

Sadly, no. All we have is the magazine article talking about it.

This happened after his shower when he was choosing between 2 sets of clothes we had laid out for him.

“Look look~ My waist, it’s insane* you know”. When we turned around, we saw Hanyu with his shirt scrunched up, showing his waist to all of the staff present.

Whaaa– it was so…narrow!! Zero fat. So tight. But it wasn’t just narrow, the muscle bulk was as expected of an athlete! A crazy waist, so envious…There’s no doubt all of the staff there were thinking the same thing (laughs).

https://tadakixd.tumblr.com/post/170868143805/kateigaho-snippets-the-natural-side-of-yuzuru