General Yuzuru Chat

In some sense this is off topic but it ties into the topic I highlighted with a recent post (I won't say 'introduced' since it's been around in various ways for I don't know how long) that has come into focus since my very lengthy post yesterday.  One person referred to the Boxing Day tsunami that killed nearly a quarter million people in various localities around the Indian Ocean.  I was, of course, very mindful of that and watched numerous videos on that disaster.  Much of the worst damage occurred on the island of Sumatra but in seeing those a very different picture emerges.  The society we saw there was much less technologically advanced and much less economically wealthy.  It was a 'developing' world society.  In seeing those tsunami videos in Japan I was aware that what I was seeing here was a nation that was very technologically advanced and with a high standard of living.  One of the most haunting sounds I noted was the drone of car horns as the waves inundated them and shorted out the horns.  Also, the sight of all those cars floating about (I didn't realize modern cars are so waterproof) remains with me.  In any case I was much more able to connect with the people there since they shared the same level of economic and technological development as I have here in the middle of the United States.

The point was brought up that Indonesia and the other countries affected by the Boxing Day tsunamis was not at all prepared for them.  There was no expectation of their possibility.  Now they know but my understanding is that there has been no real efforts to prepare for the next one (there will be one though it won't probably be in the near future).  Part of that is the matter of money.  The other is cultural inertia.  Such tsunamis are not part of the culture, unlike Japan, where they've been recording the time and place of individual tsunamis for many centuries.

In the United States we can see examples of both of those situations.  In the central US tornadoes are part of everyday culture.  Every city and town has sirens to alert the populace of a tornado approaching.  Everybody knows what to do when the sirens sound.  There is no way to build walls to keep the tornadoes out but there are ways to protect oneself when a tornado is oncoming, the only one being to get to the lowest possible level and have something on top of you (a ceiling, a mattress, etc) to protect yourself from falling debris.  When tornadoes are around the local TV and radio stations interrupt their normal proceedings to keep the populace informed.  It is, in a way, a system of preparedness very similar to what the Japanese have in place.

However, there is an example of the Indonesian situation to be found in the Pacific Northwest of the US.  That part of the country faces a danger identical to that which produced the 3/11 disaster, the danger of a subduction quake of similar intensity to Japan's.  Like Indonesia, though, such a quake was not thought possible until about thirty years ago and while some building codes have been toughened up and some thought has been given to how to handle such a disaster, but there has really been a lack of will and resources to do what needs to be done.  Nobody is proposing building sea walls like the Japanese have done (the walls only failed because they had been designed for the tsunamis of a much less powerful quake than that which was actually experienced, thinking that was the most powerful quake possible).  But there is in the northwest US no real sense of the possibility of such an earthquake, certainly nothing like the tornado consciousness to be found by those living in the American Midwest.  Until an equivalent consciousness is achieved there will not be the targeting of resources to prepare for that earthquake.

Which points out the political realities that every society faces when dealing with the potential for disaster.  There's only so much money at hand and there are so many purposes demanding it.  It's not until there is a sense amongst the general populace that it's necessary to put money into play for preparations for such a disaster that anything will get done.  I think there are many parts of the world that could benefit by seeing the examples of Japan and the American Midwest.  3/11 was the disaster it was because the science on which the Japanese seawalls was constructed was faulty.  Had it been correct, there would have been innumerable videos of the waves crashing against unyielding barriers and the towns behind them untouched.  In the American Midwest the preparation is just as elaborate, although there concerned solely with the protection of life since there's no protection of property possible for the 300 mph winds of an F5 tornado (unless you build everything underground).  It's only when the people as a whole know of the possibility of a natural catastrophe that anything will be done.  If they ignore it, then they had better be ready for the body-counts that will result.

Now, for me at least, it's time to get back to Yuzu.

9 hours ago, andchipzz said:

Do you all remember the 2004 Indian Ocean Tsunami and Earthquake? It affected so many countries and killed 300.000 people, but for me it is almost forgotten. My country is one of the most affected nation with half of the death tolls come from here. But I only seem to be able to connect with it only peripherally, even if one of my aunt lost her baby there. My mother went to that province once this year (2019), and she said that it does not feel like much development happen, and no public figure has risen to the occasion to remind people of it, and especially of the very real potential of such a catastrophic event to happen at any time!

I think the situation is a bit different, given what Aceh was like before the tsunami. There's not much room for a public figure to rise up when they're from a province that the country is trying to hush up and keep under control. The tsunami, in its devastation, allowed for Aceh to get autonomy although they've always wanted to be independent. A public figure rising from the ashes of Aceh poses too much of a risk of becoming a face for further rebellion. I know you mean public figures in general rather than just athletes but athletes tend to be very inspiring public figures and Indonesia as a whole has a lot of disadvantages compared to countries like Japan when it comes to developing elite athletes, etc - distribution of wealth, infrastructure issues, where priorities lie (I don't think Indonesia spends much on developing sports programs or athletes although I have to say I was delightedly surprised last time I was in Jakarta that there was all this promotion of the para-athletes everywhere, left over from the Asian Games). 

5 hours ago, Lunna said:

As much as charity donation is great idea, I feel like throwing flowers and toys is a long-time tradition of appreciating a skater right after the performance. If an athlete/artist has it's own charity foundation I think there's a way to help, if not there must be some organizer and I don't think it's that easy to make an international platform (only if it's not like send sms to the number and money will go to... during comps).

I wonder if a local charity or children's center can send wishlists of what they want beforehand, and fans can package it up and throw it on the ice in support of their favorite skater, but afterwards be collected for the charity. Toys, books, packaged food, baby stuff, diapers, holiday gifts, etc? 

This way, lots of gifts can be thrown on the ice for a skater, but it could be what the charity/center actually needs (instead of say, a thousand poohs and bouquets, which is nice but maybe not exactly what children want). Of course people can still throw stuffed animals, but this might be a way to fill up the rink after your favorite skater and help out local charities :) 

7 hours ago, Indiiea said:

I love that it's hidden behind a "sensitive material" warning for me, haha.

If only not the costume...

maybe because as usual I'm distracted by his beautiful elegant hands but I don't mind those pics...you can barely see the costume after all and that helps:biggrin:

1 hour ago, yuzuangel said:

I wonder if a local charity or children's center can send wishlists of what they want beforehand, and fans can package it up and throw it on the ice in support of their favorite skater, but afterwards be collected for the charity. Toys, books, packaged food, baby stuff, diapers, holiday gifts, etc? 

This way, lots of gifts can be thrown on the ice for a skater, but it could be what the charity/center actually needs (instead of say, a thousand poohs and bouquets, which is nice but maybe not exactly what children want). Of course people can still throw stuffed animals, but this might be a way to fill up the rink after your favorite skater and help out local charities :) 

What a great idea....even if one still want to throw poohs and flowers ,you can always wrap your gift for kids and leave it in the skater box at the entrace right?

11 hours ago, sweetwater said:

mv_sp.jpg

Key visual for NHK Trophy 2019

The composition is making me laugh so much. It's a soap opera! Yuzu going to push Gabriella out of the way (by the head, ouch) so Guillaume might be free to lift him...but just in case Guillaume rejects him, he keeps one hand on his backup Cong Han, who is kind of short but still very capable. Cong is getting ready to betray Wenjing and yeet her away so his arms will be free for Yuzu. Meanwhile, Alina and Rika are merging - together they will create one skater, Rikalina Zagihira, the top ladies' scorer of all time! And Jason is just thinking about puppies and kittens. :laughing:

22 minutes ago, fyere0 said:

The composition is making me laugh so much. It's a soap opera! Yuzu going to push Gabriella out of the way (by the head, ouch) so Guillaume might be free to lift him...but just in case Guillaume rejects him, he keeps one hand on his backup Cong Han, who is kind of short but still very capable. Cong is getting ready to betray Wenjing and yeet her away so his arms will be free for Yuzu. Meanwhile, Alina and Rika are merging - together they will create one skater, Rikalina Zagihira, the top ladies' scorer of all time! And Jason is just thinking about puppies and kittens. :laughing:

:10814716:  

At first glance, my reaction was simply envy for the lucky fanyus who get to go to NHK. What an amazing lineup!

But your read of the images is hilarious and spot on. The merging of Rika and Alina is especially cringe-worthy. Poor Alina, I wonder how she'll complete her elements with only one arm? 

On 10/11/2019 at 9:13 AM, micaelis said:

whole amazing post...

Wow.  That's an amazing body of research you've done, thank you for sharing it, distressing as the subject (and those videos) are... it's hard to really grasp from my little corner of the world just what people in the face of such natural fury go through. What also got me was the sound... the sheer roar of the water as it came and rushed through, and the contrast woth the hauntingly, deadly silence on the days afterwards (soe of the scenes, where all you can here is birds like crows or ravens, is haunting).

It is very rare in real life that one person, one very young, very sensitive boy is called on to crystallise and symbolise the suffering and survival of a whole people, and even more rare that that boy turns out to be the world's greatest in his separate, chosen field, and everything else - beautiful, brave, generous, intelligent - that Yuzuru is. This is why Yuzu winning that first OGM for Japan in Sochi meant so much more to Japan than, say, Patrick winning it could have done for Canada - and that's taking into account that, given the Canadian curse, it would have been huge for Canada! but the emotional impact of the boy from the disaster area who could have died in it, was certainly deeply changed by it, rising above it all and doing that (and then handing over his prize money, even at his age understanding the symbolic nature of the act)... simply takes your breath away.  That interview with Kenji - I'm not ashamed to say I teared up along with Kenji, the palpable emotion and connection in that part between two men who understood, who'd been there, and Yuzu's incredibly thoughtful and articulate words just amaze me.

But truly, you literally couldn't invent Yuzuru Hanyu and his life and history in a work of fiction without being accused of unbelievability. Even in the details (the friendship and legendary rivalry with Javi, the 1000th Winter medal, the tributes starting to appear now even while he's still competing, the Chinese(!) falling for him) you'd be drummed out of the Plausible Fiction Writers' Union if you dared to write it.  And yet... it's every word of it true. It's that very young, very sensitive boy's life.

14 hours ago, memae said:

I think the situation is a bit different, given what Aceh was like before the tsunami. There's not much room for a public figure to rise up when they're from a province that the country is trying to hush up and keep under control. The tsunami, in its devastation, allowed for Aceh to get autonomy although they've always wanted to be independent. A public figure rising from the ashes of Aceh poses too much of a risk of becoming a face for further rebellion. I know you mean public figures in general rather than just athletes but athletes tend to be very inspiring public figures and Indonesia as a whole has a lot of disadvantages compared to countries like Japan when it comes to developing elite athletes, etc - distribution of wealth, infrastructure issues, where priorities lie (I don't think Indonesia spends much on developing sports programs or athletes although I have to say I was delightedly surprised last time I was in Jakarta that there was all this promotion of the para-athletes everywhere, left over from the Asian Games). 

Well, Aceh is just an example. We also have a repeated occurrence of Yogyakarta's Mount Merapi and Bali's Mount Agung eruptions almost every year talking about as far as natural disaster goes. Both mountains are in places which is very supportive of the centr. government. But yeah, talking about catastrophic event, the Boxing Day Tsunami is on another level.

Anyhow, realistically speaking, someone needs to be nurtured from childhood, in a very good environment, to be a good role model, to reach high achievements, and it is a gift from above for a child to have arresting personality and star power, to attract interest of the general population. Athletes' development program is one step, and watching how the Japanese media and government documenting every aspect of a child athlete career is something mind blowing for me. It encourages people to root for those athletes more, and created idols (not idol-idols, but role models) out of those athletes, someone that other children can look up to, rather than insane local celebrities that current teenagers are following. But of course, it is a matter of money too. 

7 hours ago, fyere0 said:

:smiley-laughing021: you are a genius !Rikalina Zagihira is now my fave lady LOL

On 10/10/2019 at 9:35 PM, tafattsbarn said:

I'm forever greatful to the two kind japanese ladies that approached me after the competitions in Helsinki GP just to hand over some clear-files :nod2: I don't know if i looked particularly sad about everything being over or what, because they didn't have to do what they did at all and yet they went out of their way. They made my whole trip there worth it beyond belief, i felt so so happy :tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw: It really made me want to do something similar for someone the next time i attend a competition, as to spread the joy they gave me to others! 

I feel it's the place and time to send a massive thank you and shout out to the people who handed clear-files at Helsinki GP! !I wasn't able to go there, but a friend of mine did, and was given one. Then, she offered it to me :embSwan:  So it made all its way to France and made me the happiest girl for a while, I was carrying it anywhere, it held my courses in my last year at university, and was the official lucky charm for exams :loveshower:  It was pretty special because it's the first "Yuzu-related" object I own. :)

Slightly off topic but its now official that Eurosport doesn’t have the rights to air FS in Italy and the rest of Europe,I asked a friend who is a football fanatic and has sky sports but it’s not there  either. I emailed ISU and they said to stay tuned because they have an important announcement right before the beginning of GP(maybe five minutes before the short skate at skate America ?:umm:)
so I was wondering if anyone from Japan knows if the GP is on isakura ? I used it last summer for 24h tv and frankly it works like a charm both the steaming and the downloading.

thank you