General Yuzuru Chat

14 hours ago, Murieleirum said:

I have already answered all of this in a precedent post, so if you want you can have a read at that... 

But I will repeat that no, not only die-hard fans travel for ACI, but the fans who can afford a ticket from wherever they live to Canada, which can cost a lot of money. It's important that people understand this. I can admit it easily: I have a complex about this because I grew up poor so people who take for granted things like buying ticket planes and hotel nights don't feel right to me. Yuzuru has aknowledged himself all of those fans who follow him online and cannot follow him physically because of money constraints... that is what I was talking about. That was it. 

I empathize with you, very very deeply. I used to have to beg the local church for food and choose between bills to pay every month because my  job paid so low, I was always struggling just to get enough gas money to get to work. I remember my $400.00 dollar car breaking down and feeling suicidal because I couldn't afford to get it fixed. It was so horrible.

I think we're only having a semantic argument here, so let me rephrase it: Only die-hard fans who can also AFFORD to go to ACI will go to that event. I spoke to local store clerks and two Oakville AirBNB hosts who never even knew there was a mega-star figure-skater skating just around the corner from them. They also didn't care. WE care, and if we can afford it, we go there like it's a pilgrimage.

20 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

There are different types of cheering. At ACI (not this year) there were two girls next to me who screamed "YUZU!" at the top of their lungs for about 20 minutes straight (no exaggeration) while we were waiting for the medal ceremony. Yuzu finally turned around and waved at them, after which they stopped screaming. But however uncharitable it is to assign personal interpretations to his expressions, by the look he gave, I'm pretty certain he was annoyed, if only in that moment :P He was standing with his coaches, so it's not like he could have gone somewhere else to escape the noise.

Now, should we discourage that sort of behavior? I dunno, most of the time there's no harm done. Yuzu is used to it; I'm sure it doesn't REALLY bother him. He's been through worse. But from his interviews, it's clear that there are times he would prefer if the audience were a little more respectful. It's basically as direct as he's ever gonna be, IMO. If we wait for him to be even more direct about this (or anything), I think we might miss out a lot on what he's trying to say between the lines.

But this is totally different from normal cheering during the competition. Cheering at the top of your lungs when he takes off his jacket/when his name is announced/after his program/after seeing him land a beautiful jump? Cheer away. 

Exactly! ... Those girls - I don't think people should try to get a star's personal attention while they're working - though lot's of young people don't get that, even at the metal ceremony, Yuzu is on-the-job. My screams only come out as unflattering guttural noises, anyway.

13 hours ago, Umebachi said:

Elvis Stojko refers to Yuzuru in discussing "Warrior vs Performer" in an interview with PJKwong, at 12'30".  Thank you PJ and Elvis!

"Hanyu has the perfect balance. He goes out there as the Warrior, and then performs. And does not have the Performer attitude first. If you have the Performer attitude first, you will get destroyed in competition, hands down. I've seen it all the time." - Elvis

It’s a very interesting interview, thanks for sharing!  

The part starting around 20:50 where he talks about skating injured at the Nagano Olympics and how his everything (body, mind, spirit) totally let go and released after the free skate, it made me think of Yuzu and how Yuzu looked like he was going to collapse after getting his free skate score at the kiss and cry.   It made me realize once again his herculean effort to win at Pyeong Chang :sadPooh:

5 hours ago, Toni said:

Exactly! ... Those girls - I don't think people should try to get a star's personal attention while they're working - though lot's of young people don't get that, even at the metal ceremony, Yuzu is on-the-job. My screams only come out as unflattering guttural noises, anyway.

I mean, there's a time to cheer and scream and most of the time it might not necessarily be at practice time. That's the time when all the skaters need to focus and concentrate on their work. Even when it's your favorite singer trying to rehearse on stage, the last thing they need is applause for every high note they hit. All the figure skaters need practice and warm-up or they may make mistakes or forget the program they're trying to skate. As for when it's okay to get their attention, it may be something where it's at a gala or even the medal ceremony. Just after the skaters got their picture taken and did a tour around the rink, I had no problem shouting "Omedetou Gozaimasu" to Yuzuru, especially since the music was so loud back then. THAT definitely got his attention because he noticed, smiled and waved back at me BUT it was also at a more appropriate time. Granted he also paused a bit before moving on because I dropped my banner to wave back, so the moment lasted for half a second longer. It's when that sort of attention is welcome because it was a victory celebration. Screaming and shouting during practice means you're not being considerate to the other skaters or the people around you and that you're only thinking about yourself. I wouldn't be surprised if any of the male figure skaters felt a bit annoyed at any unwarranted distractions such as that. You'd be pissed too if you're trying to concentrate on your program and can't remember it because of such distractions like that, even when it's not directed at you.

11 hours ago, mercedes said:

It was bound to happen sooner or later...I'm sure -yuzu would be very interested in the topic:biggrin:

I took a look at the article on the university website. The professor explains the principle of superposition by comparing it to cooking pancakes. I had to immediately think of Yuzu again. :pancake:

On 10/8/2019 at 3:12 PM, TallyT said:

Anyone able to translate?

Packed full of fav.

From top to bottom

On the left: Bangs above eyes, sparkly nose tip, Mt Fuji lips, shoulder bag

On the right: Aho-ge (antenna), shiny/glossy round head (hair), Adam's apple-kun, shiro-jasu (white jersey jacket), pushed up sleeves

Basically the original poster Monjiro-san is listing up what she likes about the way Yuzu looks in the outfit. I have to agree :D

Yuzu is the perfect package that packed full of good stuff!!

Now I've been wondering why they call the white jersey jacket (team japan/ANA official jacket) 白ジャス / shiro-jasu. So I have googled it and found that the word "jasu" is used to call school gym/PE clothing only in Miyagi prefecture! In many other areas in Japan, they are called ジャージ (jersey). 

ETA:

Sekkisei clear file is in high quality!! Puts Xylitol ad materials to shame :D

I'm looking for a clip of Yuzu in a practice or warm up where he falls over right at the side of the rink and disappears behind the boards and a bunch of people stand up to look for him. I've seen it before and can't for the life of me find it again. Anyone know what I'm talking about and have a link handy? Or know what event it was so I have better luck finding it myself? 

5 hours ago, andchipzz said:

OT but is there any western media that talk about Yuzu's injury in 2016? 

As far as I know, there is none. IIRC, before Worlds, the injury was mentioned as a small thing that was healed over the early period of 2016, so as far as anyone new, Yuzu was 100% healthy in Boston. It was only some time after that that JSF released the information on the lisfranc injury and only in Japanese media. Western media I think rarely picks up stuff like that. And even then, it wasn't until the beginning of the following season, when Yuzu spoke about it in Ice Jewels that anyone knew just how bad it had been. I only became a fan in December of 2016, but I remember reading threads of that period and it was just total silence after the first announcements, saying what the injury was and that Yuzu was receiving treatment in Toronto. There were video messages at FaOI, but no info and no sighting until 24H TV, I think... Western media never knew of any of it, I think, just like they know nothing of a lot of other of Yuzu's hardships (like the surgery complications, as well as what came before it, for example).